Periscope sign up sheet

dtpoet

I think it's a lot different if someone sitting on the side rather than on the floor where they hold them up in the air and obstruct the view of the people behind them.
  • Like 1

Ehh, it's this modern age, and it isn't going to change from me pointing out the obvious evolution of arena rock. I take a few pix myself. But then I put the phone away. I never record artists...why bother? They'll put out a DVD of the tour, more often than not, that's going to be far superior to my shitty little iPhone recording.

I def have had experiences - expensive up front pit experiences - where my show was compromised in quality by folks taping and recording around me. Sure, you can argue that I should have a tougher skin and a stronger focus on the stage...I have both of those. I just think holding up a phone for most of the show is pretty weak sauce, and I'm confident 100% of touring artists would agree with me. :)

Ehh, it's this modern age, and it isn't going to change from me pointing out the obvious evolution of arena rock. I take a few pix myself. But then I put the phone away. I never record artists...why bother? They'll put out a DVD of the tour, more often than not, that's going to be far superior to my shitty little iPhone recording.

Unless it was the Clockwork Angels tour. I've seen some really nice videos on YouTube that far outclassed the official release.

Unless it was the Clockwork Angels tour. I've seen some really nice videos on YouTube that far outclassed the official release.

Even so...recording a show for personal posterity just can't beat the in the moment symbiosis with a live presentation of Rush, can it? :)

Even so...recording a show for personal posterity just can't beat the in the moment symbiosis with a live presentation of Rush, can it? :)

Oh no I agree. I wouldn't stand and hold up my camera for the entire show. Maybe a few things here and there but not constantly. I'd rather watch the show.

I beg to differ. I would much rather have a recording of a song that I filmed, that I experienced than wait for a DVD which was someone else's experience. I'm not going to Toronto where the DVD will be filmed. It's nice to have that DVD, but it can't compare to my experience at my show.

If someone has a problem with the phone, then they will say something. If no one around Mtstic had a problem with what he was doing then who are you to say it was bothersome or wrong?

With that said, we got to find someone to scope tomorrow's show :)

Edited by dtpoet

See. There's people who don't care, and there's people who do. I would theorize the guys that record or don't mind the constant phone use are almost certainly younger than the old school Rush fans. For obvious reasons.

But again, I will always fail to see the logic of recording a song instead of concentrating on it in the moment solely for one's personal enjoyment. Actualizing the memory itself ought to be more important than recording the memory. In my world, anyway. :)

Why would anyone elect to do this for an entire show?

What a waste of an experience.

being focused on the show all night gave me a better experience and more memories retained than any other show.

Through the glass of an iPhone?

It's great if you got more fulfillment from sharing the experience to a waiting internet audience. That's a different animal.

But concert tickets are much too expensive to watch an entire show through a phone.

I kept my eyes on the stage more than the phone. Not that difficult really.

No? Holding up the phone the whole show wasn't distracting? Even if it wasn't for you, are you certain you can say the same for the people around you? Behind you? In front of you?

The phone stayed at the same level as my chin 99% of the time. Only raised it for a few seconds when someone would pass by my seat. Add raised seating to that and maybe then you will get a vision of the real scenario instead of the one you appear to be imagining. Everyone around me smiled real big when I panned the crowd. Not sure how it affected the people in front of me as their back was to me the whole show.?.?

Were you seated near me? If so, my apologies if you were distracted. If not then maybe you shouldn't assume that everybody holding up a phone is oblivious to those around him/her.

I think you know exactly what I mean. Plenty of folks in these forums cite the distraction of constantly raised phones during shows. I'm not trying to badger you. I'm just saying standard camera/phone protocol doesn't usually condone taping the entire show. But you know that already. I guarantee you someone in your section was distracted by your phone use.

If someone was distracted by my phone use then they worked really hard to let it get between them and their view. Of course first they would have to look past the guy singing aloud to every song, the other person blowing smoke, that one guy spilling beer everywhere, the chick dancing in the isle and oh yea, the other 2000 phones filming in the same section.

If the morality of filming a whole show is the source of your guarantee with someone being distracted, then you have presented the wrong basis for that discussion. But I think you already know that too.

If you have a video up over your head for more than a song at a time or for a several songs in the night, people may get pissed. Otherwise, you're just using your normal space and other people should stop stick their noses in other people business. If you're at a Rush concert and can't pay attention to the band and the people in front of you are taking up the space they are expected to take up, it's almost definitely your fault, not theirs.

Come on, guys,. It's not just the height at which the phone is held. It's the light from the displays. It's the 'noticeable' taping/recording/photo taking. We all know this is a product of our modern cyber Age, sure. But concerts were vastly different before cell phones. Many - MANY - artists enforce cell phone restrictions at their shows for the very same reasons. Not simply for copyrights' sake, but for the enhancement of the overall experience of all concert attendees. They'd rather you enjoy the show than tape it for posterity - and certainly we all friggin' know what Rush would say about sharing each live show as it happens via Periscope. LOL, you guys oughta try using cell phones at one of Chrissie Hynde's shows. She'll stop the show. I've seen it happen. :)

Obviously arena bands can't control a larger magnitude of cell phone use. Though many try by instructing the venue security staff to be vigilant. Which rarely flies, as we all know.

But that doesn't mean it's right, does it?

Worry about yourself and enjoy the show.

See. There's people who don't care, and there's people who do. I would theorize the guys that record or don't mind the constant phone use are almost certainly younger than the old school Rush fans. For obvious reasons.

But again, I will always fail to see the logic of recording a song instead of concentrating on it in the moment solely for one's personal enjoyment. Actualizing the memory itself ought to be more important than recording the memory. In my world, anyway. :)

If you read the posts above you and attempted to see another point of view, you'd see that your false dichotomy is, indeed, false. http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/93399-periscope-sign-up-sheet/page__st__20#entry3559547

You don't get it. My behavior doesn't interfere with the show. You're advocating behavior that potentially does. Don't agree with me? Ask Neil what he thinks of constant cell phone usage. :)

If you read the posts above you and attempted to see another point of view, you'd see that your false dichotomy is, indeed, false. http://www.therushfo...20#entry3559547

What is the other point of view? That constant recording or cell phone use during the show DOESN'T necessarily interfere with others' enjoyment of the show?

If that's what you really believe, why do you think most artists prefer their audiences not doing it?

In floor seats, rows 10 thru 20, it gets very difficult to see through the sea of phones. It is very frustrating. At least where Tracy was filming from in St Louis, on an incline, it a little easier for the people behind him to see.

So there it is, the smart phone era has ruined floor seats. As frustrating as that can be, it was very exciting watching and hearing the live feeds. Never expected to experience that. It is very different than you tube or concert Blu rays.

Regarding the quality of the official tour blu rays, what's the deal with the Rush releases? Does the producer have to pay a fine if each shot lasts more than four seconds? Dizzying. For that reason, I find the Rush Blu rays much more difficult to enjoy than they should be...cut...cut...cut...cut...cut...

Even in the tiered loge or upper bowls, it's not so much obstructed view (obviously) as it is the glare from dozens of raised LED screens.

It's distracting no matter where you sit, but some places are better than others.

I'd be perfectly fine with cell phones being outright banned from concerts of any kind. It ain't gonna happen, but I'd be fine leaving my cell phone in my car or even with a voucher ticket at the doors.

Most people have gotten used to it. I have to a degree, but that doesn't mean I like it. Or condone it.

That said, sure, I watched some of the first two periscope feeds. The footage and feed cut out a lot, and the people doing it are usually too far from the stage to get any decent visuals. They're doing the online folks and fans a solid, I get that.

But that isn't how a tour is supposed to work. :)

I would be surprised if live streaming from a show, via any 'net app or service, will soon be challenged by any number of touring musicians. If they want to provide a live and FREE feed for fans not attending the show, I imagine they would. I'm sure some bands do. But I doubt many. That would seem to be an unwise business decision.

Edited by Bard

being focused on the show all night gave me a better experience and more memories retained than any other show.

It's great if you got more fulfillment from sharing the experience to a waiting internet audience. That's a different animal.

But concert tickets are much too expensive to watch an entire show through a phone.

No? Holding up the phone the whole show wasn't distracting? Even if it wasn't for you, are you certain you can say the same for the people around you? Behind you? In front of you?

The phone stayed at the same level as my chin 99% of the time. Only raised it for a few seconds when someone would pass by my seat. Add raised seating to that and maybe then you will get a vision of the real scenario instead of the one you appear to be imagining. Everyone around me smiled real big when I panned the crowd. Not sure how it affected the people in front of me as their back was to me the whole show.?.?

Were you seated near me? If so, my apologies if you were distracted. If not then maybe you shouldn't assume that everybody holding up a phone is oblivious to those around him/her.

I think you know exactly what I mean. Plenty of folks in these forums cite the distraction of constantly raised phones during shows. I'm not trying to badger you. I'm just saying standard camera/phone protocol doesn't usually condone taping the entire show. But you know that already. I guarantee you someone in your section was distracted by your phone use.

There are plenty of distractions at a RUSH show, and any other concert. People going to and from the restroom, to get food and drink, or to buy swag...people screaming "Play (insert song)!", people with their hands up, people standing not sitting... All of those are way more intrusive and obstructive than someone holding a phone. You can darken the screen...

You're just being :codger: .

I'm 50, by the way, so it's not because I'm from some alien generation.

You don't get it. My behavior doesn't interfere with the show. You're advocating behavior that potentially does. Don't agree with me? Ask Neil what he thinks of constant cell phone usage. :)

Oh, if Neil says it it must be right.

There are plenty of distractions at a RUSH show, and any other concert. People going to and from the restroom, to get food and drink, or to buy swag...people screaming "Play (insert song)!", people with their hands up, people standing not sitting... All of those are way more intrusive and obstructive than someone holding a phone. You can darken the screen...

But, but, but, the world must conform to how I want it to be! And people complain about the younger people being self-obsessed.

• Like 1

In floor seats, rows 10 thru 20, it gets very difficult to see through the sea of phones. It is very frustrating. At least where Tracy was filming from in St Louis, on an incline, it a little easier for the people behind him to see.

So there it is, the smart phone era has ruined floor seats. As frustrating as that can be, it was very exciting watching and hearing the live feeds. Never expected to experience that. It is very different than you tube or concert Blu rays.

Regarding the quality of the official tour blu rays, what's the deal with the Rush releases? Does the producer have to pay a fine if each shot lasts more than four seconds? Dizzying. For that reason, I find the Rush Blu rays much more difficult to enjoy than they should be...cut...cut...cut...cut...cut...

Interesting. I was on the floor, am of average height, and had no issue whatsoever.

I would be surprised if live streaming from a show, via any 'net app or service, will soon be challenged by any number of touring musicians. If they want to provide a live and FREE feed for fans not attending the show, I imagine they would. I'm sure some bands do. But I doubt many. That would seem to be an unwise business decision.

I disagree. It isn't like it takes away from the paid customer. People are still going to attend the show. It's actually great advertising. It's free advertising. One could argue that ticket sales will increase. I've read several members here are looking to add shows because of the scoping.

Nah, the cell phone generation has definitely changed the landscape of concert going. The artist themselves talk about it in interviews. Like I said, sure, I'm being old school - much like the artists themselves.

But there's a big difference in the landscape of concert attendance and how they're experienced now as compared to days of yore. Everybody holding up their phones is def a diff vibe than everyone holding up their lighters. :)

It's the e-Age of concerts. I get it. Again, I don't have to like it. Because the white elephant is, no matter how you slice it, viewing a show through a phone is a lesser experience than watching it with your baby blues, in the moment. Nobody can dispute that. They can def say they've adapted and that for them, it's no different than experiencing the show without a phone, sure. I could never do that. But clearly, many can.

Ah, well, if you're a fan who doesn't care what the artists who are putting on the expensive, elaborate, precision-executed and hard earned live show for you prefer, then I dunno what to say to that, LOL.

But, but, but, the world must conform to how I want it to be! And people complain about the younger people being self-obsessed.

You must be Gen Y. :)

Heck, I don't want anything to do with conformity.

But concert etiquette is pretty simple. You either know it. Or you don't care. There's no middle ground. :)

I disagree. It isn't like it takes away from the paid customer. People are still going to attend the show. It's actually great advertising. It's free advertising. One could argue that ticket sales will increase. I've read several members here are looking to add shows because of the scoping.

It's far more likely that folks will get their fill of Rush via free live streaming and skip the show. That of course only applies to more diehard Rush fans, because casual hard rock fans don't visit fan websites nor bother with looking up live feeds.

Like I said...it's great to get a vicarious media outlet like Periscope if you're a diehard fan, but it's doubtful the artists approve of it.

Ah, well, if you're a fan who doesn't care what the artists who are putting on the expensive, elaborate, precision-executed and hard earned live show for you prefer, then I dunno what to say to that, LOL.

You seem to be missing, or ignoring, the point to most of these replies. You just said, "nobody can dispute that" in a previous post. But clearly it has been disputed by other's experiences. Maybe what you really meant was to say, " I don't care what others say, my position is right and everyone else is wrong if they disagree".

No need to rise up and save us from ourselves or save those who are seated around us.

BTW, Neil is an awesome drummer whom I love to listen to and see live. He is not the source on all things right and wrong.

At least for some of us that is.

Edited by Mystic Rythm

You seem to be missing, or ignoring, the point to most of these replies. You just said, "nobody can dispute that" in a previous post. But clearly it has been disputed by other's experiences. Maybe what you really meant was to say, " I don't care what others say, my position is right and everyone else is wrong if they disagree".

No need to rise up and save us from ourselves or save them who are seated around us.

B

BTW, Neil is an awesome drummer whom I love to listen to and see live. He is not the source on all things right and wrong.

At least for some of us that is.

Look, man, if you're gonna defend the taping and streaming of shows (something the band doesn't want you to do), much less disregard common courtesy in a large crowd, good for you. Guys like you are the ones who are disregarding the obvious here. If the artist doesn't want you to do something at their show, you ought not to do it. Period. They're providing a service for which you paid, but that does not give you total leeway to do whatever you want. If security tells you to stop taping, if the tickets say 'no cameras or recording,', then you're disrespecting the artist. Period.