Motherf$%^^* Have to vent.

glennb2112

FYI....Concert Photos are spoilers

I went to the Foreigner concert Friday and sat next to a Rush fan..who decided to try and show me the streaming setlist..WTF. I saw one song when he stuck his phone in my face. I was ready to punch his ass.

• Like 1

Is it a big deal? Like...if you know the setlist the night is going to suck?

Erm...not really sure how a gig can be spoiled in this way to be honest with you.

• Like 3

I think its somewhat a big deal. Night wont suck but rather be pleasantly surprised. I've waited this long don't want some dick shoving his phone in my face when I'm seeing the show Thursday.
  • Like 2

Erm...not really sure how a gig can be spoiled in this way to be honest with you.

If you are someone like me who loves the suspense of not knowing and loves to be surprised then spoilers are just that--they spoil the surprise. If I had known the setlist and what was going on before I went to Friday's show it would have been spoiled for me.

• Like 3

I think I need to avoid the internet for a few days. Another NON-spoiler page and unfortunately saw a couple of photos of the stage.

it useless...

yeah, I don't get it either. "this song sounds like shit because I knew they would be playing it." ?

seems like an older person vs young person thing. people our age don't give a shit, and I guess for everybody else not knowing the set makes you feel young again? I dunno.

• Like 2

yeah, I don't get it either. "this song sounds like shit because I knew they would be playing it." ?

seems like an older person vs young person thing. people our age don't give a shit, and I guess for everybody else not knowing the set makes you feel young again? I dunno.

Would you go to a movie knowing the ending? Read a book's last chapter first? Maybe..but you wouldn't be as surprised would you? Still enjoy it but to each his own. This would have been the first tour in a long while without knowing the setlist. Just trying to fight it till Thursday :)

• Like 1

if I can say this without getting bitched at for spoiling something, I would shit myself if I went into this show not knowing the set. plus I can re-familiarize myself with any rarities before the gig, not that they are or aren't playing any rarities, I can't say.
  • Like 1

Would you go to a movie knowing the ending? Read a book's last chapter first? Maybe..but you wouldn't be as surprised would you? Still enjoy it but to each his own. This would have been the first tour in a long while without knowing the setlist. Just trying to fight it till Thursday :)

I had a feeling someone would say that, but I don't look at a collection of songs the same way I look at a plot in a movie. I understand wanting to be surprised though

• Like 2

Yeah, it's all about the surprise...I love the whole experience of standing in the dark after an amazing song and not knowing what's coming next. For me, personally, I was still a RUSH noob when they toured on S&A, so all I knew at the time were the radio hits, as well as what they'd played on the original, abridged version of R30 (a gift from my friend) and the then-new S&A material. Since the first leg of S&A had a bunch of deep cuts, I spent a lot of the time not knowing a lot of what they were playing (but still having a great time).

For Time Machine, I'd been on vacation when the tour kicked off that summer, and when I got home about a week later, I ran right to the computer and looked up what they played. The TM shows I saw were still great, but I wished I hadn't looked it up. I forced myself for CA to not look, and it made all the surprises that much more awesome.

I have 28 more days until the Columbus show (but computer-wise it's more like 24, as I fly out to C-town on the 4th and will be busy spending that entire weekend with my cousins), so the wait shouldn't be too bad.

• Like 1

But I know the songs, all the songs, so whatever, whether or not I know the setlist, whatever comes up is still going to be something I know.

Not really comparable to a gig or a movie. I think some fans just get so pedantic over these things, ultimately whether you know or don't know, the night should be based on how you feel when you get there. You must be pretty bored if you stand there, a rarity you love pops up and in that moment you think: "this sucks because I knew tthey were playing this. Gonna grab a beer."

Like...I listen to these spoiler complaints and all I can think is that the guy who had the setlist on his phone kinda has a point: it is exciting! Look what they played the other night!

I always look at setlists for tours I am seeing...gets me pumped, and played a big part in me avoiding certain shows because I know I wouldn't enjoy them. It didn't ruin the gig, because if I had gone and all those songs I find limp were played I would have found myself counting my teeth with my tongue and wondering what on earth the point of life is.

• Like 3

I had a feeling someone would say that, but I don't look at a collection of songs the same way I look at a plot in a movie. I understand wanting to be surprised though

Yeah...but is a spoiler really going to murder the night??

The pro-spoil crowd baffles me. It's like going into your parents' closet a month before the holidays and seeing what your presents are. Absolutely no fun in that. And no, it doesn't "ruin" the show, but it does lessen the excitement quite a bit. And sorry to be frank, but if you completely avoid live shows of bands you supposedly really like, just because you don't 'approve' of a particular tour's setlist, then honestly, you're a pretty lousy fan of that band. I saw Kittie (the all-girl metal band, who, like Rush, are also from Ontario) here in Syracuse in 2011. I looked at the setlist beforehand. While they played very little from their first two, more successful albums (which I was much more familiar with than their later work), I wasn't going to miss a chance to meet them and see them play in my hometown.

Edit to add: I'd looked up the Kittie setlist because knowing wasn't going to bother me (after five crappy opening bands, I was just glad to see them take the stage), and because a Kittie show is nowhere near the sacred* experience a RUSH show is. Most of the other bands I see on a regular basis change the setlist up from night to night (i.e., Metallica), so I can't know exactly what I'll be hearing.

Edited by Pale Facsimile
  • Like 1

I went to the Foreigner concert Friday and sat next to a Rush fan..who decided to try and show me the streaming setlist..WTF. I saw one song when he stuck his phone in my face. I was ready to punch his ass.

Prone to overstatement much?

• Like 1

Prone to overstatement much?

nope

• Like 1

This is why I don't discuss anything with strangers at concerts.

I thought it was the opposite. That the younger fans didn't want to know.

It is annoying to be on a Rush forum and have to curtail my enthusiasm for the shows in a little corner because a handful of fans want to be surprised.

I agree with Segue. What the heck is the difference whether you know the set list or not?

• Like 6

You should never talk to strangers anyway. Didn't your Mommy ever tell you that?

• Like 3

To the guy who was showing you the setlist... First of all, if you're at a Foreigner show, you should be enjoying Foreigner and not texting, emailing, browsing. etc. You paid money to see a band so watch and listen !!! Edited by custom55
  • Like 5

To the guy who was showing you the setlist... First of all, if you're at a Foreigner show, you should be enjoying Foreigner and not texting, emailing, browsing. etc. You paid money to see a band so watch and listen !!!

Agreed.

I understand wanting to go into it not knowing- I tried to do the same thing...but my precious resolve lasted exactly one day. :P so, now I know. And I am even more excited for it than I was before.

I am also going to the Columbus show, like another poster said- and I figured out that it was going to be futile to try to keep away from the knowing of it for an entire month. I'm here virtually every day (okay, not just virtually- I'll say it- I'm here every bloody day!), and it wouldn't have been much enjoyment to try to avoid all the excitement about it.

But if you're just going to see the show in a couple of days from now- I can understand wanting to be able to god out that long.

I have some advice- yes, just avoid all Rush forums until...Friday, I guess. ;)

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Older person? Older person?! What the hell is that supposed to mean?!...

:LOL: .... :codger:

• Like 3

One other thing- it would have been nice if this thread hadn't started with an expletive.

If this episode happened three days ago, and you still are that mad about it, you may have some other issues. :huh: Just sayin'.

You should never talk to strangers anyway. Didn't your Mommy ever tell you that?

Exactly- This I talk to everyone world we live in is horrible.

Do parents still tell kids not to talk to strangers or do they just text them?