Yearly Standing at Concerts Thread

So I went to the Tulsa show and had a blast! By far my favorite show of all time, and I won't give spoilers :) However, it would've been much better if the guy behind me hadn't been a drunk a**hole.

So, like a normal person at a ROCK concert along with everyone else in the first 4 rows of our section, we stood up even though we were stage side up in the bowl of the BOK center. It was a great view regardless of whether you were standing or sitting. For about 3/4 of the first set, I jammed out on my air instruments with my three other friends, and then I feel a tap on my shoulder from this guy behind us. He says "C'mon guys sit down, we have great seats." So we kindly oblige, but the people in front of us are still standing, and then we ask them to sit down, but they encourage us to stand back up. So with this in mind, we do that and everything goes back to normal.

About 5 minutes later, my friend hears rustling behind him and a spillage. He turns around to see the guy spilled a beer "accidentally" all over his flag he had brought. We think to ourselves, alright benefit of the doubt, its a coincidence.

At intermission, my friend leaves and goes to wash out his flag. I talk to the guy during intermission and attempt to explain my side of the story and why we're standing, but he wanted none of it. He was not even that intoxicated at this point, but he said "I asked you all "nicely" to sit down, but you didn't, so shit happens and your friend's seat got wet." I was getting pissed at this point, but remained my cool and tried to talk to the guy a little more to diffuse everything. Yet again he wanted none of it and was making derragatory comments about my size (in terms of weight and height) and wanted to "take this "argument" outside."

As an aside: Look, I know I'm a pretty big dude, but get over it.

Anyway, at this point, I just turn around and wish him well and start taking photos of the stage. As this happens, I can hear him bitching about us to this lady behind him, and now I'm just done. So, I run to an usher at the top of the arena and explain my story and she was very helpful and pleasant and agreed that this was getting out of hand.

During the first song of the second set, she got security to come talk to the guy and he didn't do anything/say anything from there on out.

I would've sat down/exchanged seats with the guy if he would've handled the situation differently and gave me and my friends respect or if more than 50% of our section was sitting, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

So, TL;DR, what is your stance on standing at concerts? Was I in the right for standing and doing what I did?

So I went to the Tulsa show and had a blast! By far my favorite show of all time, and I won't give spoilers :) However, it would've been much better if the guy behind me hadn't been a drunk a**hole.

So, like a normal person at a ROCK concert along with everyone else in the first 4 rows of our section, we stood up even though we were stage side up in the bowl of the BOK center. It was a great view regardless of whether you were standing or sitting. For about 3/4 of the first set, I jammed out on my air instruments with my three other friends, and then I feel a tap on my shoulder from this guy behind us. He says "C'mon guys sit down, we have great seats." So we kindly oblige, but the people in front of us are still standing, and then we ask them to sit down, but they encourage us to stand back up. So with this in mind, we do that and everything goes back to normal.

About 5 minutes later, my friend hears rustling behind him and a spillage. He turns around to see the guy spilled a beer "accidentally" all over his flag he had brought. We think to ourselves, alright benefit of the doubt, its a coincidence.

At intermission, my friend leaves and goes to wash out his flag. I talk to the guy during intermission and attempt to explain my side of the story and why we're standing, but he wanted none of it. He was not even that intoxicated at this point, but he said "I asked you all "nicely" to sit down, but you didn't, so shit happens and your friend's seat got wet." I was getting pissed at this point, but remained my cool and tried to talk to the guy a little more to diffuse everything. Yet again he wanted none of it and was making derragatory comments about my size (in terms of weight and height) and wanted to "take this "argument" outside."

As an aside: Look, I know I'm a pretty big dude, but get over it.

Anyway, at this point, I just turn around and wish him well and start taking photos of the stage. As this happens, I can hear him bitching about us to this lady behind him, and now I'm just done. So, I run to an usher at the top of the arena and explain my story and she was very helpful and pleasant and agreed that this was getting out of hand.

During the first song of the second set, she got security to come talk to the guy and he didn't do anything/say anything from there on out.

I would've sat down/exchanged seats with the guy if he would've handled the situation differently and gave me and my friends respect or if more than 50% of our section was sitting, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

So, TL;DR, what is your stance on standing at concerts? Was I in the right for standing and doing what I did?

stand away.

the exception i make is if there's a young kid behind me since I'm 6'4". If that's the case, I'll try to change diplomatically change seats if someone next to me is shorter.

but adults should understand that's the risk you take at a rock concert.

but in your case i would have told him in the first conversation...it's a rock concert, everyone is standing.

after that he gets ignored.

• Like 1

I almost punched a guy in the face at a Motley Crue show for literally shoving me down into my seat because I was standing up.
  • Like 1

Standard protocol? If you're on the floor you stand. If you're in the loge you sit unless your entire section is standing.

Not that anyone abides by standard protocol.

Short folks have a rough time at shows. They're the ones taking the biggest risks. Unless they're front row of a section.

My rule is, if the guy in front of you is standing, you can stand and not feel bad. If you're the only one in the section (unless for a song you absolutely adore and you want to dance or whatever) then you should sit down
  • Like 1

Standard protocol? If you're on the floor you stand. If you're in the loge you sit unless your entire section is standing.

Short folks have a rough time at shows. They're the ones taking the biggest risks. Unless they're front row of a section.

if you're short, acknowledge your challenge and adjust seat choices accordingly.

If you're into the show you stand up. If you don't like it, you sit. It's better to have a full house of excited people than it is a bunch of fuddy-duddies just sitting there.
  • Like 1

You have to approach a concert like a tactical operation.

FLOOR- Expect to stand ALL night.

BOWL- Surveillance is the key

Example-

I have already done my research. I am sitting in Row 6 Lower Bowl in New Orleans. The sections BEGIN with Row 4. (Hence Row 4 = Row 1)

On StubHub since February there have been 8 seats in Row 4 for sale for $600 each.

If no one is sitting in those Row 4 scalped seats when we arrive, My group is sitting there. If by some chance all of those seats are sold/ get sold,

we move back 2 Rows to OUR original seats. Anything to gain a tactical advantage.

I hate sitting at concerts regardless of the type of music, or how long the concert/festival is. If the musicians who are at least twice my age can stand on stage and play music for hours then I feel like I owe it to them to stand and pay my respect by rocking out as hard as them. That being said, I know now to plan my seating accordingly. I got floor row 10 and 9 for the Vancouver and Portland shows respectively, and took my time choosing my Seattle seats because they sold quicker and I have a lot of people who want to go with. I finally realized that the show is pretty much sold out so I went on the resale and got the very last row of the 100 section so that my crew can stand all night. I'd rather get the back row and stand than get closer seats and risk people behind me bitching.
  • Like 2

Is 5'8 short?

It's average if your name is Tom Cruise

I'm 6'3. I stand at concert and sporting events. I usually tell the people behind me in advance to give them fair warning. I just spent $1,400 on 4 Rush tickets for the show in Austin. You better damn well believe I'm going to be standing on my feet all night and not sitting on my hands. If that bothers the people behind me (who probably spent close to the same pre ticket) then I'm sorry, but that's the risk you take. It's a rock concert. What do people expect?
  • Like 1

if you're short, acknowledge your challenge and adjust seat choices accordingly.

I do. That doesn't mean tall guys shouldn't sit down if they're the only ones standing. :)

• Like 1

Haha, more folks who don't give a f**k about anyone's concert experience around them.

Weird how there's so many of you who simply don't care about the people around you.

It's all symbiotic, and really not that hard to work out, with a few kind words and general respect. Communal appreciation of art works best when things are handled with give and take for everyone involved.

Edited by Bard
  • Like 1

If you're into the show you stand up. If you don't like it, you sit. It's better to have a full house of excited people than it is a bunch of fuddy-duddies just sitting there.

I get the point here, but I think if you can nail 10,000+ butts down to their seats that is quite the command and power of the music you are pumping out.

I get the point here, but I think if you can nail 10,000+ butts down to their seats that is quite the command and power of the music you are pumping out.

I see it as the opposite. Sitting is passive and standing is active. So if I band can get 10,000 butts out of their seats, that shows the power and the energy of the music!

Haha, more folks who don't give a f**k about anyone's concert experience around them.

Weird how there's so many of you who simply don't care about the people around you.

It's all symbiotic, and really not that hard to work out, with a few kind words and general respect. Communal appreciation of art works best when things are handled with give and take for everyone involved.

It's a Rush concert. Who the hell sits at a Rush concert? If you're going to sit in your sit like a lump why not just stay home?

It's a Rush concert. Who the hell sits at a Rush concert? If you're going to sit in your sit like a lump why not just stay home?

It's not about sitting or standing. It's about going with the crowd flow, being a symbiotic audience. It happens a lot. And sometimes it doesn't. Usually because of a minority.

LOL, if any classic rock bands have fans that sit and immerse themselves in the music, instead of fist pumping and dancing, it's Rush nerds. I know. I watch 'em do it. I'm not somebody who sits at a Rush concert....unless everyone around me is doing the same.

It's not nice to disregard others at a communal gathering of art and joy.

• Like 1

on the lawn I stand and only had one guy ask me to sit down, he was a dick but security was on my side considering we're on the lawn and it's on you to move if you're uncomfortable on the lawn (that's what all the open space is for, dildo!)

I had a seat at nashville and sat through some songs but I mostly stood, I was at the top of my section and wasn't obstructing anyone's view but I still kinda felt like a weirdo standing up for the songs I was into because everyone around me looked 100% f***ing bored.

• Like 1

Like I said, it really depends on the audience flow. A good concert will have the crowd pumped up and in synch. A bad show will have fights and brawls and dumbfucks who sing the songs too loud, or people seat crashing or section crashing, or stage rushing, or booing.

Been to too many of those, alas.

But a great concert is a lifetime memory.

I've never felt any sort of "in synch" vibe from a rush crowd except during the encores on the last two tours. oh and when sawyer started set 2 on the TM tour. people in my section always look like they'd rather be anywhere but at a rush concert.

maiden's crowd is my favorite crowd

• Like 2