Judging from the Xanadu videos, I'd say Alex's double neck is his original one from the 70's! Interesting because for the R30 tour, looked like he was using a different double neck and not the original.
  • Like 1

Alex was using a Les Paul with F holes for Tom Sawyer. I want to say it was a LP Florentine but I'm not entirely sure.

Interesting...wondering if that's kind of a howard roberts morphing into a les paul.

Aside from the doubleneck, the Howard Roberts Fusion was the other guitar I wish he would have brought out.... What a cool looking and sounding guitar..... He did take it out for some show, last fall I think, so it's still getting some love..... :Alex:

Judging from the Xanadu videos, I'd say Alex's double neck is his original one from the 70's! Interesting because for the R30 tour, looked like he was using a different double neck and not the original.

I'm sure he's had several. You've got to have a backup and a spare generally.

I also wondered from the photos that I saw whether the marshal stacks were for real or just for show. Seeing as how they were being dismantled during the second set, I suspect they were just for show.

Yea. The crew were able to move them around quiet quickly. It didn't look like they were plugged in.

Alex was using a Les Paul with F holes for Tom Sawyer. I want to say it was a LP Florentine but I'm not entirely sure.

Interesting...wondering if that's kind of a howard roberts morphing into a les paul.

Gibson released a couple of semi hollow Les Pauls the last couple of years. There's the Supreme and the ES Memphis which they're touting as a 335/Les Paul hybrid.

http://www2.gibson.c...S-Les-Paul.aspx

cool and interesting. probably way too expensive, but still interesting.

Gibson released a couple of semi hollow Les Pauls the last couple of years. There's the Supreme and the ES Memphis which they're touting as a 335/Les Paul hybrid.

I think the main idea is to cut back on the weight, which wouldn't be a bad idea.

From what I could see from the live feed:

Alex

ES-335

. . .

That 335 looks a lot like his original '67, that would be amazing, it dont think it has been on the road in a long time. Nice to see the double necks make an appearance again, that looks like a new Ric for Ged. I havent seen any pics with the Hentor though. Freddy you out there?

The one video I saw was far away, but it looks very much like this one from back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ttWUm88Z4

I thought that one was the one that was busted when the speaker horn fell on it, or it was stolen when he loaned it to Eric Johnson or something crazy happened to it. The video I saw, the body was bigger than the LP or the ES-LP they're making now.

Edited by Rush-O-Matic

From what I could see from the live feed:

Alex

ES-335

. . .

That 335 looks a lot like his original '67, that would be amazing, it dont think it has been on the road in a long time. Nice to see the double necks make an appearance again, that looks like a new Ric for Ged. I havent seen any pics with the Hentor though. Freddy you out there?

The one video I saw was far away, but it looks very much like this one from back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ttWUm88Z4

I thought that one was the one that was busted when the speaker horn fell on it, or it was stolen when he loaned it to Eric Johnson or something crazy happened to it. The video I saw, the body was bigger than the LP or the ES-LP they're making now.

Yes that's an ES-335.

I also wondered from the photos that I saw whether the marshal stacks were for real or just for show. Seeing as how they were being dismantled during the second set, I suspect they were just for show.

I agree, I'd be REALLY surprised if they actually switched amps mid concert. Asking for sound quality headaches.

All their amps are stage props.

Watching videos the stage set goes backward in time along with the setlist which is a cool idea. I saw at leat 3 different J basses the Rick and a P and the undetermined red bass that looks like an Ovation but isn't.

I think the main idea is to cut back on the weight, which wouldn't be a bad idea.

yeah i really need to cut back on the weight.

oh you meant the guitar.

• Like 1

Florentine is the name usually associated with a semi hollow Les Paul but I think only on the Epiphone side. I have seen Gibson Les Pauls with F holes called "Les Paul ES" but I like Florentine much better.

• Like 2

Just saw a pic of Al with a 12 string PRS!?!?!?!
  • Like 1

Yes that's an ES-335.

Okay, thanks. My Epiphone ES-335 Pro has the regular stop tailpiece, instead of the trapeze tailpiece or Memphis style or whatever it's called. Would that have been the standard when Alex got his or is that a customized thing? I am assuming that Alex has brought his original back out on tour, instead of getting a new one. I was mixing up some of the other stories - from a couple interviews:

Q: Your first “real” electric guitar was your Gibson ES-335. I wonder, why that model, since the guitarists you were listening to, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix for example, were playing either Les Pauls or Strats?

Alex: Well, yeah, but I was also into people like [Jefferson Airplane’s] Jorma Kaukonan, and Alvin Lee. And that guitar was always a beautiful guitar. I’ve always really liked that whole sixties San Francisco music scene, and that guitar was probably the prevalent guitar at that time. So to me it seemed like a natural place to go. And I just grew with the instrument.

. . . we did a gig with Blue Oyster Cult at the Nassau Coliseum in the late seventies, and one of the horns had fallen off of the stack and then fell on my 335, as well as a double neck that I had. It sheared a headstock off the double neck, and it took a real big gouge out of the neck of the 335. So I decided, “Okay, the 335’s going home, that’s not going to be on the road anymore.”

Q: Let's talk about some of those parts. How did you get the tones in "Far Cry"?

Alex: There are a lot of guitars on that song. I think part of it was my Gibson ES-335-the one from back in the day. I used my 335 for a lot of this record-along with my Les Pauls and my Tele.

Q: What is your relationship with Alex Lifeson of Rush and didn't he give you a double neck guitar that was stolen later?

Eric Johnson: We did a Rush tour in 91 and we got to know each other. He's a really nice guy. We did some jams together and had some great chats. Yes, he did give me a black Gibson 6/12, and regretfully it was stolen.

He's got two this tour, one of them looks brand new and the other one is a deep cream color, looks rather old.

• Like 1

Yes that's an ES-335.

Okay, thanks. My Epiphone ES-335 Pro has the regular stop tailpiece, instead of the trapeze tailpiece or Memphis style or whatever it's called. Would that have been the standard when Alex got his or is that a customized thing? I am assuming that Alex has brought his original back out on tour, instead of getting a new one. I was mixing up some of the other stories - from a couple interviews:

Q: Your first “real” electric guitar was your Gibson ES-335. I wonder, why that model, since the guitarists you were listening to, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix for example, were playing either Les Pauls or Strats?

Alex: Well, yeah, but I was also into people like [Jefferson Airplane’s] Jorma Kaukonan, and Alvin Lee. And that guitar was always a beautiful guitar. I’ve always really liked that whole sixties San Francisco music scene, and that guitar was probably the prevalent guitar at that time. So to me it seemed like a natural place to go. And I just grew with the instrument.

. . . we did a gig with Blue Oyster Cult at the Nassau Coliseum in the late seventies, and one of the horns had fallen off of the stack and then fell on my 335, as well as a double neck that I had. It sheared a headstock off the double neck, and it took a real big gouge out of the neck of the 335. So I decided, “Okay, the 335’s going home, that’s not going to be on the road anymore.”

Q: Let's talk about some of those parts. How did you get the tones in "Far Cry"?

Alex: There are a lot of guitars on that song. I think part of it was my Gibson ES-335-the one from back in the day. I used my 335 for a lot of this record-along with my Les Pauls and my Tele.

Q: What is your relationship with Alex Lifeson of Rush and didn't he give you a double neck guitar that was stolen later?

Eric Johnson: We did a Rush tour in 91 and we got to know each other. He's a really nice guy. We did some jams together and had some great chats. Yes, he did give me a black Gibson 6/12, and regretfully it was stolen.

When they originally came out they had the trapeze still piece. It wasn't until later they started putting the stop tailpiece on it. I think Alex could have bought several 335's and when they originally came out they had the trapeze still piece. It wasn't until later they started putting the stop tailpiece on it. I think Alex could have bought several 335's. Just because it looks like the original doesn't mean it necessarily is. :)

Actually the first 335s came with stop bars or Bigsby trems. Trapeze tailpieces were added in the late 60's (68? After they acquired Epiphone and inherited a bunch of parts like mini humbuckers and trapeze tailpieces that Epi was known for and put them on Gibsons). My dad played with two guys in the early 60's (between 61 and 65) that both had 335s, one red, one burst and they both had stop bars. :)

More Es 335/345/355 facts:

http://www2.gibson.c...-0311-2011.aspx

http://www.es-335.ne...ifications.html

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

- no go to eBay and you'll see it. It's called an ES-Les Paul. They are brand new. They come in white, wine red, black, and cherry sunburst. It is like a Les Paul Standard with F holes. It weighs like 5 lbs. really cool.

They've been around for years and are made only certain years. Last round was over 10 years ago but they go back to the 70's.

Red bass I didn't recognize

The bass used on JL appears to be Candy Apple Red Fender Precision Bass with tort pickgard... Cool!

There was also another red bass, with black pickgard / headstock... I have no idea what that one is either... a Firebird???

Just saw a high res pic of this one - its a Hofner...

The bass used on JL appears to be Candy Apple Red Fender Precision Bass with tort pickgard... Cool!

There was also another red bass, with black pickgard / headstock... I have no idea what that one is either... a Firebird???

Is that the one that has the firebird'ish looking headstock?

I sent a picture of that one to a buddy of mine who has a Hofner and he said the controls looked like his Hofner. Interesting

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

This is the Hofner:

http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-lincoln-05.10.2015/47.jpg

This is the Hofner:

http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-lincoln-05.10.2015/47.jpg

Okay, that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks