Official R40 Setlist Poll--Expectations met?

R40 Setlist Poll  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Did Rush deliver the Goods?

• Hell Yes
    • Meh
    • Big disappointment--I want my money back
  2. 2. Biggest Surprise of the Night

• Jacob's Ladder
    • Xanadu
    • Hemispheres--Prelude
    • Cygnus x1 Instrumental--drum solo
    • Lakeside Park
    • Anthem
    • What you're Doing?
    • Working Man
    • Clockwork Angels Opener
    • Epic Roll the Bones video
    • Geddy playing Thunderbird bass
    • Doublenecks
    • The Light Show of Light Shows

I'm in the camp of 1st set = Meh; 2nd set = hell yes!

With all respect to the band, I'd suggest that the majority of the people coming out for their final tour didn't pay to see stuff from their last two albums. Heck I'd bet a not insignificant percentage of people coming out has never even heard stuff from their most recent two albums.

There's probably some truth to a good percentage of people not knowing Rush's recent material. With that said, I think Rush prides themselves one their entire career and not just on the nostalgia part. I mentioned this in another thread - would I swap some Clockwork Angels songs out for earlier ones? Yes. But, I also want Rush to perform the songs with enthusiasm and sincerity. I like Clockwork Angels, so I can live with the setlist, as is. And the second part of the concert is proof Rush cares about all Rush fans.

No Doubt... And I know that they cannot please everyone. Rush is without a doubt one of my top 3 or 4 favorite bands of all time, but their last couple of albums didn't do it for me personally.... Not sure why. And there are a few major classics that I'm badly going to miss (even though they have been played in concert many times before).

I walked out of every Rush concert I attended "complaining" about not hearing this or that song. When push comes to shove, it's nitpicking. Hundreds of Rush fans on this forum can't agree on a perfect setlist. How hard is it for the actual members of Rush to decide?

I'm a fan of the band's entire catalogue, though I definitely cut my teeth on their 70's stuff. So for me the second set is made of magic. I do like the first set a lot, too--or rather I like the songs in the first set. I felt there were a number of pacing issues with the first set on Friday--to me they lost momentum and fan enthusiasm a lot of the time to long breaks between songs. Part of this could just be opening night working out the bugs and tightening things up. It's possible they might change what they swap out as they find what works with the crowd.

Yes, I realize I am the "meh" vote, but I chalk that up more to the first set rather than the second set.

I voted money back...and Roll the Bones, cause I'm a smartass. But Jacobs Ladder and Lakeside are worth the price of admission. I was texting my buddies like mad to share the setlist.

Nobody saw LP coming. Or Anthem. Or WYD. JL was the shiznit. Well played boys!!! RTB was made cool by that video...way cool

Oh man, Lakeside Park is going to rock the house during the Tampa show--it's on the 24th of May!

I've been thinking that same thing. HOWEVER, I heard they didn't play the full song - haven't heard a recording yet - but maybe they didn't get the line "everyone would gather, on the 24th of May..." Can anyone verify?

Yes, they played the whole thing.

Actually, they did not play all of Lakeside Park! I just heard the recording - they cut to Anthem before the breakdown after the solo and he does not sing the "Everyone would gather on the 24th of May" line....

Wot? I could have sworn I sung that line! (I was singing along to everything!) Don't get old kids or you won't be able to remember any...hey, what was I doing?

hahaha - sorry, I'm already old! But I had the benefit of the recording. I'm sure if I was lucky enough to be there (like you!) I would have had the entire Rush catalog running through my synapses for a week!

Hmm, so I wonder, will they sing that line only at the Tampa show then?!

I hope so!

I'm happy they played all of Xanadu and JL - just hope they keep those for the whole tour!

Not to be negative - it is a pretty great set list, but I hate it when they abbreviate songs. They went so far to pull out an old gem and then to play 75% of it.... ( I think a couple others were abbreviated a verse or so as well - Anthem, What You're Doing - and of course CX1 with no vocals - I guess they distracted us with a drum solo! ;) )

With all respect to the band, I'd suggest that the majority of the people coming out for their final tour didn't pay to see stuff from their last two albums. Heck I'd bet a not insignificant percentage of people coming out has never even heard stuff from their most recent two albums.

That sounds like all the more reason to play new(er) stuff -- so fans can hear it if they haven't already.

And for what it's worth, Headlong Flight got a huge cheer when they started playing it.

• Like 1

Not to be negative - it is a pretty great set list, but I hate it when they abbreviate songs. They went so far to pull out an old gem and then to play 75% of it.... ( I think a couple others were abbreviated a verse or so as well - Anthem, What You're Doing - and of course CX1 with no vocals - I guess they distracted us with a drum solo! ;) )

Yeah, I don't like the abbreviated songs or medleys either. But really, I have no complaints about the setlist. I was more than pleasantly surprised--they knocked my socks off!

Yeah, I don't like the abbreviated songs or medleys either. But really, I have no complaints about the setlist. I was more than pleasantly surprised--they knocked my socks off!

I was wondering why you came out if the show without shoes on...thought it was some cultural thing.

• Like 1

First set changes night 2

Anarchist/CA

Wreckers/Anarchist

How It Is/OLV

Between The Wheels/Distant Early Warning

TCE/RB

Good stuff. CA is missed. But bringing in How it is was a nice touch as was BTW

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

So many to choose from!! I had to pick little ol Lakeside Park though because I think they pretty much admitted that they're not fond of it.

But Ya.. Xanadu.. Both Cygnus tunes and Jacobs Ladder.. Didn't expect any of those!! And I always wanted to see what Howard could do for a light show for JL! I bet it's amazing!!

• Like 1

So many to choose from!! I had to pick little ol Lakeside Park though because I think they pretty much admitted that they're not fond of it.

But Ya.. Xanadu.. Both Cygnus tunes and Jacobs Ladder.. Didn't expect any of those!! And I always wanted to see what Howard could do for a light show for JL! I bet it's amazing!!

We lucked out big time.

• Like 1

I think they should only do one song each from CA and Snakes to make room for something from TFE, Presto, or HYF so they can perform one song from every album. Besides, we've already had two full tours featuring multiple Clockwork songs. Don't need three, not on this tour. They can skip CTTH as well, Geddy hasn't been able to sing it well for a long time. Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 is more than enough to represent Kings.

Also, I just heard the audio of Hemispheres Prelude tuned down a full step. Doesn't work for me, sounds awful. Just play it in the original key and cut to another song at the part where the vocals come in.

Neil mentioned in an interview Hand Over Fist as a deep cut he'd like to perform live. Maybe that'll get rotated in at some point.

So I've been starting to get psyched for the Boston show, pulling out Rush In Rio and R30 DVD's and other stuff out of the vault.

I think my single biggest complaint about the setlist is leaving out Limelight. Without having done any research, I would think that has to be one of their top 3 or 4 songs of all time… how do you leave that out of your final tour?

Edited by Boston_E

I think my single biggest complaint about the setlist is leaving out Limelight. Without having done any research, I would think that has to be one of their top 3 or 4 songs of all time… how do you leave that out of your final tour?

Maybe they're tired of playing it? Maybe they'd rather play other songs that fans haven't heard in many years...or ever!

I went with hell yes and Lakeside Park. Hell yes is obviously mostly for set two but I will give them props for balancing out the night. Lakeside Park is an awesome shock to be honest. If they would have thrown Lessons in there I would have fallen on my keyboard... :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

I went with hell yes and Lakeside Park. Hell yes is obviously mostly for set two but I will give them props for balancing out the night. Lakeside Park is an awesome shock to be honest. If they would have thrown Lessons in there I would have fallen on my keyboard... :codger:

I think Lakeside Park sounds great. It's not in the same key but Geddy is giving it all he's got. Sounds good IMO
  • Like 1

I went with hell yes and Lakeside Park. Hell yes is obviously mostly for set two but I will give them props for balancing out the night. Lakeside Park is an awesome shock to be honest. If they would have thrown Lessons in there I would have fallen on my keyboard... :codger:

I think Lakeside Park sounds great. It's not in the same key but Geddy is giving it all he's got. Sounds good IMO

I actually haven't heard it yet but I will take your word for it. You haven't been wrong about anything to this point... ;)
  • Like 1

Gaze upon it's glory!!!

Setlist

Set 1:

The Anarchist

Clockwork Angels

Headlong Fight

Far Cry

The Main Monkey Business

One Little Victory

Animate

Roll the Bones

Distant Early Warning

Subdivisions

Set 2:

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Natural Science

Jacob's Ladder

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

Xanadu

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

2112 Part IV: Presentation

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Encore:

Lakeside Park

Anthem

What You're Doing

Working Man

• Like 1

Last tour 500 members voted. Current Tally 114. Only one person wants their money back, and that's Goose, just a goosing TRF. The five that voted Meh are really in need of therapy. Here's what it looks like:

Did Rush deliver the Goods?

1. Hell Yes (106 votes [94.64%])
    Percentage of vote: 94.64%
  2. Meh (5 votes [4.46%])
    Percentage of vote: 4.46%
  3. Big disappointment--I want my money back (1 votes [0.89%])

• Like 1

I voted Meh, but only because they skipped not only Power Windows (which sadly was to be expected), but also Hold Your Fire and Test For Echo, both of which I really like. Overall though we were all spoiled with the great stuff they brought out. Only other complaint is the lack of delay between the end of the main set and the encore, because that just felt weird.

I voted Meh, but only because they skipped not only Power Windows (which sadly was to be expected), but also Hold Your Fire and Test For Echo, both of which I really like. Overall though we were all spoiled with the great stuff they brought out. Only other complaint is the lack of delay between the end of the main set and the encore, because that just felt weird.

Dude, they're old. It was almost bed time! They had to rush into the encore