RANDOM QUESTION

Segue Myles

Why have Rush performed with washing machines on stage?

O really? How does this work?

I have been wondering for a long time, I always half expected to see a maid come onstage to get the clothes ready for drying!

Back when Lee switched to direct and Alex was still using amps, the stage would have looked unbalanced, so Lee thought it would be goofy to have some sort of gag appliances set up - dryers, chicken rotisseries, etc.

Or maybe you already know this and you're really looking for goofball responses . . . okay. He wanted to counterbalance Lifeson's reverb and dirty sound (a "wet" mix) with a dryer, cleaner sound.

• Like 5

I thought it was so that they could use the venues electricity to wash their clothes so they didn't have to pay for it at a separate time.

Not sure if you are being serious, but I am when I say I thought this! I was like "They are Rush! Of course they can! They can do anything!"

• Like 1

:musicnote: ...and the red tide kisses the shore.... :musicnote:

I'd go listen to that song right now but the last time I did it got stuck in my head for days on end until it drove me batty so maybe I won't.

:)

• Like 1

:musicnote: ...and the red tide kisses the shore.... :musicnote:

I'd go listen to that song right now but the last time I did it got stuck in my head for days on end until it drove me batty so maybe I won't.

:)

:musicnote: ...and the Clean shall inherit the earth.... :musicnote:

I thought it was so that they could use the venues electricity to wash their clothes so they didn't have to pay for it at a separate time.

Not sure if you are being serious, but I am when I say I thought this! I was like "They are Rush! Of course they can! They can do anything!"

That is honestly what I thought :) . I had no idea it had anything to do with the sound.

That is honestly what I thought :) . I had no idea it had anything to do with the sound.

And the bbq chickens enhance Neil.s drum sound :Neil:

Since they have such a sense of humor, I always figured it was them doing something goofy for the hell of it. The music is serious so to counterbalance that they have the washing machines and the chicken rotisseries there for a laugh. Just like their intro and outro videos. Edited by J2112YYZ

Geddy's answer: For their warm, dry tone.

Serious answer: Since the Test For Echo tour he's been wiring his amp directly into the PA so it doesn't need any cabinets on stage. Lots of empty space as a result, which means you gotta put something there. Might as well do your laundry, keep the fridge fully stocked, cook some chicken, pop the popcorn, fire out sausages, and put your brain on display for everyone.

Main reason? They were the right shape. Ampeg amp cabinets are called "fridge" cabinets because of their size and shape. I'm sure that's at least partially where the idea came from.

Main reason? They were the right shape. Ampeg amp cabinets are called "fridge" cabinets because of their size and shape. I'm sure that's at least partially where the idea came from.

Right. Given that the goal was to visually balance the look of the stage, why not go with something roughly cabinet sized while at the same time giving people something to chuckle over.

Edited by JARG

Right. Given that the goal was to visually balance the look of the stage, why not go with something roughly cabinet sized while at the same time giving people something to chuckle over.

Yes exactly. It looks bizarre to have an empty stage.