Songs You Like That You Think Nobody Else Likes!

Super25Smasher

I don’t understand how Rush fans don’t like Speed of Love or Rivendell.

I understand Rivendell, but Speed Of Love sure doesn't deserve to be considered one of their worst

I've always liked Speed of Love.
  • Like 1

Countdown

Afterimage

Emotion Detector

Open Secrets

Anagram

Speed of Love

I love Countdown, Afterimage, Emotion Detector, and Anagram. Not so much Speed or Open.

Anagram is my second favorite off Presto, but you are right that it is widely reviled. I don't get it. I love word play, and the whole song is a word game. It's disposable fun, but it's pure fun.

• Like 3

Countdown

Afterimage

Emotion Detector

Open Secrets

Anagram

Speed of Love

I love Countdown, Afterimage, Emotion Detector, and Anagram. Not so much Speed or Open.

Anagram is my second favorite off Presto, but you are right that it is widely reviled. I don't get it. I love word play, and the whole song is a word game. It's disposable fun, but it's pure fun.

IMHO Presto is clearly the most underrated album in the entire Rush catalogue. :)

• Like 2

Superconductor - a true marmite song if there was ever one according to the feedback on some this forum.

Oh, and I thought Neurotica was ok too!

Red Tide

Countdown

Middletown dreams and Grand Designs are my favourites off Power Windows which seems to be at odds with everyone else.

Kid Gloves and Afterimage

Half the World is ok

Armor and Sword, and, Workin' them Angels

Peaceable Kingdom and Secret Touch

And I prefer Different Strings over Freewill and Entre Nous (although I love the whole album).

I know, I know, I should be ostracized for such behaviour!

• Like 2

Lessons from 2112

Welcome to the forum. I think Lessons is a great tune!

Me too! You go for years playing your Rush music and loving the songs you do and then you join a forum and find that some of those songs you love are being thought of as sub-standard (or worse by some people!).

I personally will go to my closet and play those controversial songs for the skeletons and me!

Now where's that Superconductor 12 inch single....!

• Like 1

High Water from HYF

( really under-rated IMHO ,

...and I like Alex’s power chords

...which all too rare on this overall

quite soft sounding album )

• Like 2

It seems like there are people who find Red Lenses "weird" and unlikeable.  I have always dug this tune...and the drumming in the verses - "it's the colour of your heartbeat..." is the kind of stuff that, for me, sets Neil Peart apart from other good rock drummers.  He was just making such interesting, "non rock" choices around that time - it's actually progressive.  I often think of Mike Portney in the Rush doc praising La Villa and and saying some thing about when they went to the shorter songs, I lost interest...and I think, dude, did you listen to the inventive shit he was doing on those recrods?!  Pull your rocker head out of your ass....

• Like 4

On 11/20/2021 at 8:29 PM, goose said:
On 11/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, Super25Smasher said:

I do like High Water. I've seen a lot people slander it over the years.

I like it a lot.

For years I had High Water ranked near the bottom, right next to Tai Shan (that's a death sentence for any Rush song!).  I never gave it more than a few listens. I gave it a spin yesterday, for the first time in decades, and it's actually much better than I remembered. It's still not a top-100 song for me, but it's nowhere near Tai Shan anymore.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

For years I had High Water ranked near the bottom, right next to Tai Shan (that's a death sentence for any Rush song!).  I never gave it more than a few listens. I gave it a spin yesterday, for the first time in decades, and it's actually much better than I remembered. It's still not a top-100 song for me, but it's nowhere near Tai Shan anymore.

While I'll say I've always liked High Water,

I do have to wonder about your change of heart.

In the late 80s you had High Water quite low. But at that time you did not know of Anagram, Half the World, etc.

Maybe it's only risen given it's company?

I also like Anagram, but I do know you hate it 

3 hours ago, Mosher said:

While I'll say I've always liked High Water,

I do have to wonder about your change of heart.

In the late 80s you had High Water quite low. But at that time you did not know of Anagram, Half the World, etc.

Maybe it's only risen given it's company?

I also like Anagram, but I do know you hate it 

I didn't like High Water much when HYF came out, but back then I wasn't liking HYF or Power Windows as albums outside of a few songs from each. I felt they were too much of a departure from the prog stuff. Presto didn't fare much better when I first heard it, and it still doesn't, but over the years PoW and HYF have grown on me (PoW more than HYF).

Back when those albums came out I didn't think of where the songs would rank on a list. Either I liked a song or I didn't. I'm thinking about it now because we have people here ranking every Rush song and it made me want to do likewise, and that made me want to listen to songs that I haven't heard in a while. Some songs like High Water benefited from a revisit. Others like Anagram and Half the World sounded worse than ever. :biggrin:

• Like 1