Most Boring Concert

toymaker

The odd thing with PJ fans is that most don't go ALL the theatrics other bands can do in their shows. Remember they are grunge fans just the bare scale back minimum is what the look for.

Why is that odd? Any band who need theatrics in order to put on a decent show are completely worthless in my book. If they're worth their weight in anything, they can get on a stage, stand perfectly still, play their music and captivate. THAT is what it's about...not toys and lasers and videos....

Bands like Iron Maiden need it, because they come alive with the music and the theatrics.

Maiden absolutely does not NEED the theatrics. Yeah, they're fun, but they would totally hold their own without them.

I agree, I don't give a shit about the giant eddie, I want to hear them. Rush could scale back and just have a projection of them on a screen and I'd pay the exact same amount of money.

Never liked The Doors. I don't loathe them like I do Fleetwood Mac but I am not a fan of The Doors' music.

Never liked The Doors.

pretentious boring overrated music. and that awful keyboard/organ sound.

Mick

If both of you had been on the scene when they first showed up, you might think differently.

Listening to them today up against all bands that came after The Doors, I can see how they would not be thought well of. But, back in the day, it was a different story.

I saw Maiden in 2010. One of the best and most intense concerts I've ever been to. Yeah, there were some theatrics like the giant Eddie but while they were cool, they weren't necessary.

I was just happy that tour they decided to take a gamble and devote most of their set to post-1999 Maiden, which I absolutely love. Paschendale and Blood Brothers :haz:

• Like 1

I think it fair to say that some bands are much better in the studio than they are live, and vice versa.

Nothing wrong with that. Sadly, some of my favourite bands were firey on stage, The Doors and early Van Halen for example, and sadly I will never experience that.

I love The Doors studio work, but Morrisons smokey voice and the bands whisky soaked anthems scream for a live setting, and sadly I will never have the chance to see that (although from what I have seen of them, they sadly didn't always let the music speak for itself on stage. A great shame if you ask me).

you'd get pissed on by Jimbo :laughing guy:

Mick

That's for sure. He was never sober or straight. If he wasn't drunk, he was on heroin. What a waste of talent.

I agree! When I hear the albums, I like to pretend they performed properly. I do not really like them as people, based on my observations, but in the studio they were incredible and to think they were sloppy onstage is so annoying.

• Like 1

The odd thing with PJ fans is that most don't go ALL the theatrics other bands can do in their shows. Remember they are grunge fans just the bare scale back minimum is what the look for.

Why is that odd? Any band who need theatrics in order to put on a decent show are completely worthless in my book. If they're worth their weight in anything, they can get on a stage, stand perfectly still, play their music and captivate. THAT is what it's about...not toys and lasers and videos....

Bands like Iron Maiden need it, because they come alive with the music and the theatrics.

Maiden absolutely does not NEED the theatrics. Yeah, they're fun, but they would totally hold their own without them.

I wonder if that depends on the type of music? I'd love a Rush show without the visuals, but their music is just so interesting and complex that you want to see them partly just to see them pull it off - that's the sort of heroic part. It's part of the reason that people are fixated on Lee's vocals these days. He can't quite pull it off, and that's a drag (although some of us still think he's doing amazingly well in that area).

What do videos and lights have to do with them pulling off the music? Isn't seeing that impressive enough on it's own? Again...the extra stuff is fun, but if they were to play a club, all stripped of production and just performing the songs, they'd still blow the roof off the place.

Yeah, I agree - I think that's what I was trying to say (albeit badly and ambiguously) - that I'd like to see Rush without the visuals precisely because the music and their performance of it is amazing enough on its own. When I'm at a Rush show and I catch myself watching the animation or whatever's on the screen, I tell myself not to waste my time on that junk - look at the band!

• Like 1

Most boring concerts

U2 - The Claw Tour

YES - without Jon Anderson ( walked out on the tour with Benoit David )

Any Grateful Dead show

The Cult and Bonham - Jan 1990 at The Spectrum in Philly

I was really into The Cult at the time, but they were bad - it didn't help that the stage was set at half-court, with an enormous curtain blocking off what seemed like 20,000 empty seats

Bonham was terrible

I still like the old Cult stuff from the 80s up to Electric - but that night, they were anything but

I saw Maiden in 2010. One of the best and most intense concerts I've ever been to. Yeah, there were some theatrics like the giant Eddie but while they were cool, they weren't necessary.

I was just happy that tour they decided to take a gamble and devote most of their set to post-1999 Maiden, which I absolutely love. Paschendale and Blood Brothers :haz:

I'm expecting the next tour, assuming it happens, to be a similar format. They tend to go back and forth between retro and modern tours for the last 10 years or so (a little longer if you don't count the first History tour, but instead Dance of Death as the beginning of that pattern).

• Like 2

I'm expecting the next tour, assuming it happens, to be a similar format. They tend to go back and forth between retro and modern tours for the last 10 years or so (a little longer if you don't count the first History tour, but instead Dance of Death as the beginning of that pattern).

Provided Bruce makes a full recovery on his cancer treatment, consider me excited. Post-1999 Maiden is absolutely spectacular, and I challenge every Maiden "fan" who only likes the 80's Maiden to give it a listen. Bruce Dickinson is a much better vocalist in his 50's than he was in his 20's-30's. I haven't heard another vocalist like him.

I suppose the most boring concert for me was The Bare Naked Ladies, but that probably was due to the fact that I was 11 when I saw them, and only knew about five songs. It was also Christmas time so they played a few holiday songs that I was bored by. But none the less, the show was fun.

Beyond that everything else I have gone to has hit the nail on the head:

Rush (Duh)

Weird Al (Talk about stage presence)

Great Big Sea (The most rocking celtic band you can find)

They Might Be Giants (Hilarious, and engaging)

OK GO (The most fun concert I have ever been too (SO MUCH CONFETI))

and last but not least

Panda Bear (Mesmerising vocals and visuals. Amazing feat to perform mostly unreleased material and make it feel like they are already your favorites (and this was an electronic show)

• Like 1

Provided Bruce makes a full recovery on his cancer treatment, consider me excited. Post-1999 Maiden is absolutely spectacular, and I challenge every Maiden "fan" who only likes the 80's Maiden to give it a listen. Bruce Dickinson is a much better vocalist in his 50's than he was in his 20's-30's. I haven't heard another vocalist like him.

I'm guilty of this BowlCity. Huge IM fans in the 80's sort of fell out of favor with them, but then got the albums Over the last decade, getting used to them.

I saw them twice in the 80's. I'd lose my mind seeing them again

Pearl Jam- Vs. Tour 1994

Having spent the entire 1980's going to over 100 shows, seeing every act imaginable, I got 2 tickets to Pearl Jam on the Vs. tour.

While I had the 2 PJ Cd's at the time, I was just too damn old, and did not understand the fans excitement.

I attribute it to growing up with Big stages, GUP lasers, Pink Floyd's floating animals, Iron Maiden with Eddie running around, Kiss breathing fire

This was 5 guys playing with 1 spotlight, it was just lost on me.

1st time at age 27 I felt too old for a concert

I loved that show, and was 29 at the time. My most boring show was David Lee Roth, Eat'Em and Smile Tour. All the goofy antics, but no soul. I was right up front, festival style, but moved back after a few songs. The place was only half full...
  • Like 1

Soundgarden supporting Sabbath last year (twice!) were totally flat and soulless; I would have made a fortune selling crosswords to the crowd.

I suppose the most boring concert for me was The Bare Naked Ladies, but that probably was due to the fact that I was 11 when I saw them, and only knew about five songs. It was also Christmas time so they played a few holiday songs that I was bored by. But none the less, the show was fun.

Rush (Duh)

and last but not least

Panda Bear (Mesmerising vocals and visuals. Amazing feat to perform mostly unreleased material and make it feel like they are already your favorites (and this was an electronic show)

The fact that you think confetti is essential to a good time makes me think we would be awesome at a concert together!

Only way to top it would be baloons.

• Like 1

Rush (Duh)

and last but not least

The fact that you think confetti is essential to a good time makes me think we would be awesome at a concert together!

Only way to top it would be baloons.

Well it wasn't just the confetti that made the concert awesome, that's just the bullet point of it. Yeah Balloons would be great, except if its in a smaller venue where the popping could disrupt the music for some. The Confetti though, there was 75 Pounds of it (or as they put it for my Canadian mind, a bit more than 30 kilograms). People were making snow angels in it after the show. Meanwhile on top of that, they also had a bubble machine, they did Q&A's with the audience while the stage hands prepped the stage for the next song. The front man did an acoustic song in the middle of the audience. They did a really good cover of Raw Dog despite it being completely out of their genre, and for the encore, they recreated a dance they did for one of their music videos live, they wore white jumpsuits and played white instruments that when black light was turned on would turn their clothes and instruments and...oh yeah, CONFETTI. There was so much, a couple pieces actually flew into my mouth throughout the night. If you ever get the chance to see OK GO (and you like alternative pop rock) go for it.
  • Like 1