Cinco de Mayo is a scam for Americans

Everybody asking 'Am I eating Mexican tonight?'. Why?? I'm not Mexican. I eat Mexican food when I WANT Mexican food.

Then they say "Well, it's Mexican Independence day"...Well 2 thoughts, 1-I'm not Mexican, AGAIN, and 2- IT'S NOT MEXICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!!

Contrary to popular believe, Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence day.

Mexican independence is celebrated on Sept.16.

Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over the French forces of Napoleon III on May 5, 1862, at the Battle of Puebla.

So you are celebrating 1 battle victory, in the many battle victories of Mexican history.

So if you ARE of Mexican decent, enjoy your day, celebrate your heritage.

But don't involve us

Anyone who agrees with this and has also...

A) Ever wore green or otherwise behave like drunken schmuck on March 17

or

B) Participated in anything remotely related to anything German or Oktoberfest in October (this includes listening to an AOR station promoting "Rocktoberfest")

or

C) Otherwise participated in a similar lame, pseudo cultural, bastardized historical celebrations such as Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day, Mari Gras, or even Halloween

.... is a straight up hypocrite.

Sorry, but the truth hurts.

Hatred toward a lame construct because it is "Mexican" without equally bashing the same social constructs presented in support of other ethnicities or beliefs is either bigoted or ignorant to our collective social foolishness.

I will let everyone either point me to the same threads bashing all of those events or I will let everyone who agrees with the comment above make their own personal choices on the root of their reality....

How about if we don't agree and haven't done any of a,b, or c (well, I have listened to an AOR station during Rockoctoberfest, but it shouldn't count if you rolled your eyes every time the DJ said it)? What then?

Then you get the craziness of our social traditions. More examples:

Turkey on Thanksgiving? Nope. The proteins they ate were fish and venison.

Decorating a Christmas tree? Um. That's actually a modified pagan tradition.

Easter bunnies and eggs? Yeah... more modified pagan traditions... this time ancient symbols of spring rebirth and fertility.... not to mention the absurdity of a 6 foot tall rodent breaking into your house to hide boiled, colored eggs.

We are a crazy, mixed up conglomeration of goofy half-truths and cultural abductions. My point is let's just embrace it all, or none of it. And, trust me, Hallmark is going to make sure we embrace it.

Are there Cinco de Mayo cards?

Because if there is not, I am calling Hallmark Right NOW!!!

Mexicans don't read.
  • Like 2

Everybody asking 'Am I eating Mexican tonight?'. Why?? I'm not Mexican. I eat Mexican food when I WANT Mexican food.

Then they say "Well, it's Mexican Independence day"...Well 2 thoughts, 1-I'm not Mexican, AGAIN, and 2- IT'S NOT MEXICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!!

Contrary to popular believe, Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence day.

Mexican independence is celebrated on Sept.16.

Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over the French forces of Napoleon III on May 5, 1862, at the Battle of Puebla.

So you are celebrating 1 battle victory, in the many battle victories of Mexican history.

So if you ARE of Mexican decent, enjoy your day, celebrate your heritage.

But don't involve us

Anyone who agrees with this and has also...

A) Ever wore green or otherwise behave like drunken schmuck on March 17

or

B) Participated in anything remotely related to anything German or Oktoberfest in October (this includes listening to an AOR station promoting "Rocktoberfest")

or

C) Otherwise participated in a similar lame, pseudo cultural, bastardized historical celebrations such as Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day, Mari Gras, or even Halloween

.... is a straight up hypocrite.

Sorry, but the truth hurts.

Hatred toward a lame construct because it is "Mexican" without equally bashing the same social constructs presented in support of other ethnicities or beliefs is either bigoted or ignorant to our collective social foolishness.

I will let everyone either point me to the same threads bashing all of those events or I will let everyone who agrees with the comment above make their own personal choices on the root of their reality....

How about if we don't agree and haven't done any of a,b, or c (well, I have listened to an AOR station during Rockoctoberfest, but it shouldn't count if you rolled your eyes every time the DJ said it)? What then?

Then you get the craziness of our social traditions. More examples:

Turkey on Thanksgiving? Nope. The proteins they ate were fish and venison.

Decorating a Christmas tree? Um. That's actually a modified pagan tradition.

Easter bunnies and eggs? Yeah... more modified pagan traditions... this time ancient symbols of spring rebirth and fertility.... not to mention the absurdity of a 6 foot tall rodent breaking into your house to hide boiled, colored eggs.

We are a crazy, mixed up conglomeration of goofy half-truths and cultural abductions. My point is let's just embrace it all, or none of it. And, trust me, Hallmark is going to make sure we embrace it.

Are there Cinco de Mayo cards?

Because if there is not, I am calling Hallmark Right NOW!!!

Mexicans don't read.

Goose is on FIRE !!

• Like 2

I came home from Cancun yesterday, after a week on the Riviera Maya. I saw no reference to Cinco De Mayo while I was there.
  • Like 3

I came home from Cancun yesterday, after a week on the Riviera Maya. I saw no reference to Cinco De Mayo while I was there.

Did someone make a bet with you that you couldn't possibly mention that you just got back from Mexico in every effing thread you post in?

• Like 1

Did someone make a bet with you that you couldn't possibly mention that you just got back from Mexico in every effing thread you post in?

Yeah, your wife. :moon:
  • Like 1

(can you tell I'm just a bit jealous... stuck here in weather hell)

(can you tell I'm just a bit jealous... stuck here in weather hell)

I can't wait to have you and the family over so I can share the rest of our pictures with you and Mrs. LIX. :cheers:

5 de Mayo is not even a Labor Holiday in Mexico....schools and government are out ( sounds familiar ? ) but any average Joe has to WORK...so??...I think Las Vegas Boxing intere$t$ have a lot to do with making this "holiday" a big date for selling millions of dollars.....Pay Per view rules..... :drool:
  • Like 1

I thought this thread was all in good fun and humor. :unsure:

Who'd thought anyone would take offense at what was posted?

People are too serious.

Now pass the sarcasm I need more of it for my Burrito

• Like 1

Not celebrated in the Yucatan, Veracruz, any where in the southeast.

Puebla, Guadalajara...they make a big deal of it. It's bigger with Mexican-Americans than Mexicans.

Racism is never funny.
  • Like 1

Racism is never funny.

Yep. I live in Texas. We have lots of folks who celebrate Cinco de Mayo and we have lots of folks who get all worked up about it for no reason other than it is connected to Mexico.

For the record, I wasn't offended. I was merely laying down the BS card on 'mericuh.

Puebla, Guadalajara...they make a big deal of it. It's bigger with Mexican-Americans than Mexicans.

Kind of like how New York and Boston have absolutely huge St. Patrick Day Parades, but nothing like that happens in, say, San Antonio or Houston?

Kind of like how Chinese New Year is a bigger deal in San Francisco or Seattle than it is elsewhere?

Kind of like how Columbus Day is a big deal for Italian Americans, but only a shopping event for pretty much everyone else?

So. Wait. You are saying the Mexico is actually really a very large and diverse country? You mean they don't all eat burritos, wear sombreros, and mule drugs?

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

Kind of like how New York and Boston have absolutely huge St. Patrick Day Parades, but nothing like that happens in, say, San Antonio or Houston?

Kind of like how Chinese New Year is a bigger deal in San Francisco or Seattle than it is elsewhere?

Kind of like how Columbus Day is a big deal for Italian Americans, but only a shopping event for pretty much everyone else?

So. Wait. You are saying the Mexico is actually really a very large and diverse country? You mean they don't all eat burritos, where sombreros, and mule drugs?

Very diverse. Many substitute tacos for burritos.
  • Like 1

So. Wait. You are saying the Mexico is actually really a very large and diverse country? You mean they don't all eat burritos, where sombreros, and mule drugs?

Great analogy

It's kind of like how Valentine's Day is a bigger deal to all the broads? Where to guys it's about getting some sex.

Kind of like how Christmas is a bigger deal to kids. While to everyone else it's about the Booze.

Racism is never funny.

That's the 1st funny thing goose has said in 18,206 posts

• Like 2

Great analogy

It's kind of like how Valentine's Day is a bigger deal to all the broads? Where to guys it's about getting some sex.

Kind of like how Christmas is a bigger deal to kids. While to everyone else it's about the Booze.

Yep. Except keep using the term "broads" and see how much sex you don't get it. Dames hate it when you call them "broads"..

• Like 2

The difference between drinking on Saint Patrick's Day and drinking on Cinco De Mayo is...nobody pretends to be a Mexican.

(all in fun)

Edited by Khan