Hines Ward holding out

Indica

Hines Ward is my all time favorite steeler and he's holding out and he may not show up until week 6 (league rules) and never play for steelers again. He's under contract until the end of the season so I don't understand how he can just not show up while under contract, but I guess it's league rules that he can hold out until week 6. Don't make sense.

Here's the story.

Hines ward holding out

QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 13 2005, 08:14 PM)
Hines Ward is my all time favorite steeler and he's holding out and he may not show up until week 6 (league rules) and never play for steelers again. He's under contract until the end of the season so I don't understand how he can just not show up while under contract, but I guess it's league rules that he can hold out until week 6. Don't make sense.

Here's the story.

Hines ward holding out

That's a shame Indy, Hines is a class performer and he'd be a big loss especially since Plaxico Buress has gone to the Giants sad.gif

What's funny is when I was at the Steelers Training Camp last week, while everybody is waiting where the team comes out, my friends and I yelled "Hey look, there's Hines Ward!"

Almost everybody's heads turned around looking for him...

QUOTE (kazzman @ Aug 13 2005, 05:22 PM)
What's funny is when I was at the Steelers Training Camp last week, while everybody is waiting where the team comes out, my friends and I yelled "Hey look, there's Hines Ward!"

Almost everybody's heads turned around looking for him...

That's messed up!!!! pokey.gif

Hines Ward is without a doubt a helluva football player. But he's showing he's not much of a classy human being, along with T.O. and many of the other a-holes out there.

I'm a so sick of these players not honoring their contracts. YOU SIGNED THE CONTRACT!!!! If you didn't like the contract in the first place, DON'T SIGN IT!!!

The league should be able to take legal action to either force a player to fulfill his contractual obligations or face some sort of penalty. After all, in the regular world, if someone doesn't fulfill their end of a contract, their are legal ramifications.

These guys are behaving like spoiled children. They're getting paid millions of dollars per year to PLAY A FREAKING GAME!!! I wish these idiots would quit their whining and fulfill the contracts they signed. After all, these contracts don't last forever. If you don't like your contract, why did you sign it in the first place? If you are under contract and unhappy, ask for a trade. If they won't trade you, then play your ass off until your contract runs out and some other team will fall all over themselves to give you money. What a bunch of babies. I'm sick of these guys.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 13 2005, 09:50 PM)
Hines Ward is without a doubt a helluva football player. But he's showing he's not much of a classy human being, along with T.O. and many of the other a-holes out there.

I'm a so sick of these players not honoring their contracts. YOU SIGNED THE CONTRACT!!!! If you didn't like the contract in the first place, DON'T SIGN IT!!!

The league should be able to take legal action to either force a player to fulfill his contractual obligations or face some sort of penalty. After all, in the regular world, if someone doesn't fulfill their end of a contract, their are legal ramifications.

These guys are behaving like spoiled children. They're getting paid millions of dollars per year to PLAY A FREAKING GAME!!! I wish these idiots would quit their whining and fulfill the contracts they signed. After all, these contracts don't last forever. If you don't like your contract, why did you sign it in the first place? If you are under contract and unhappy, ask for a trade. If they won't trade you, then play your ass off until your contract runs out and some other team will fall all over themselves to give you money. What a bunch of babies. I'm sick of these guys.

True, but I just found out it's a league rule that allows players to hold out until week 6, even if they are under contract. Hines is just doing what his agent is telling him to do, I'm sure he can tell his agent to f*** off but that's probably not the best thing for him either.

I blame the league rule that allows a player to not show up until week 6 even under contract. That's what needs changed in my opinion. I mean, what is a contract anyway if the players don't honor it? Doesn't make sense. I don't see a player still playing if they didn't get paid for 6 weeks, should work both ways. If a player doesn't show up for 6 weeks then I think the team should be able to not pay him for the whole year since the player made the choice to not play. This rule needs changed to protect the teams who pay big bucks for a player to help them win games and the players not even show up under contract. Pisses me off!!! But I'm still not mad at Hines, I think he's worth what ever he can get but damn, SHOW UP AND PLAY!!!!

QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 13 2005, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 13 2005, 09:50 PM)

True, but I just found out it's a league rule that allows players to hold out until week 6, even if they are under contract. Hines is just doing what his agent is telling him to do, I'm sure he can tell his agent to f*** off but that's probably not the best thing for him either.

I blame the league rule that allows a player to not show up until week 6 even under contract. That's what needs changed in my opinion. I mean, what is a contract anyway if the players don't honor it? Doesn't make sense. I don't see a player still playing if they didn't get paid for 6 weeks, should work both ways. If a player doesn't show up for 6 weeks then I think the team should be able to not pay him for the whole year since the player made the choice to not play. This rule needs changed to protect the teams who pay big bucks for a player to help them win games and the players not even show up under contract. Pisses me off!!! But I'm still not mad at Hines, I think he's worth what ever he can get but damn, SHOW UP AND PLAY!!!!

I hear ya. It's really frustrating to have probably the most valuable member of your team not show up even though he's under contract. That's what makes me mad. They are still under contract! Be a man! You agreed to the terms when you signed the contract, so be a man and abide by those terms. If those terms aren't to your liking anymore, then by all means, when that contract is up negotiate on to your liking. Of course, even if the do that, one year later they'll get pissed off again and not show up.

Your right, the league rules are screwed up and Hines is just doing what the league allows him to do. But in the business world, if I sign a contract and fail to fulfill my end, I'll get my ass sued off. Why is it different for them? That's what I don't get confused13.gif

I had sportcenter on and walked out of the room and walked back in as they were talking about Hines Ward. If I heard right(fingers crossed) I heard he signed a new contract today and he is showing up for practice on wed. I was hoping he would play and retire as a steeler, I couldn't see him on any other team, I would have to hate him!!!!!!

I've been searching online to find confirmation to this story but I can't find anything. Maybe it just happened today and the story isn't out yet. I hope they signed him for another 4 years. If so, I'm pretty sure he will be the highest paid steeler ever, I think he deserves it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 15 2005, 04:59 PM)
I had sportcenter on and walked out of the room and walked back in as they were talking about Hines Ward. If I heard right(fingers crossed) I heard he signed a new contract today and he is showing up for practice on wed. I was hoping he would play and retire as a steeler, I couldn't see him on any other team, I would have to hate him!!!!!!

I've been searching online to find confirmation to this story but I can't find anything. Maybe it just happened today and the story isn't out yet. I hope they signed him for another 4 years. If so, I'm pretty sure he will be the highest paid steeler ever, I think he deserves it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've been listening to Pittsburgh's ESPN radio all day, and the only signing I've heard about is the Penguins singing John LeClair. The only thing they said about the Ward holdout was that he and the Rooney's still aren't talking and Jerome Bettis keeps adding his two cents in defense of Ward.

Ward said he places his faith in the Steelers and his agent to strike some sort of deal that will keep him in Pittsburgh the rest of his playing days.

"That's all I want is a commitment from this organization that I can retire as a Steeler," Ward said. "I don't think I'd look right in another uniform. This whole holdout is about me wanting to get compensated fairly, and also have the opportunity to not put on another uniform besides the Black and Gold."

he said it 20 times he wants to be a steeler for life.......

Now thats a classy man. TO needs to take a lesson from him.

He agreed to split the difference between what he asked for and what the steelers offered. That sounds fair to me.Hines press conference

QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 16 2005, 06:24 AM)
He agreed to split the difference between what he asked for and what the steelers offered. That sounds fair to me.Hines press conference

It's good for Ward and the Steelers that this thing ended as quickly as it did. But my main gripe still wasn't addressed: He was under contract and chose not to show at camp. If you've signed a contract, deal with it. Be a man and show up. When you signed that contract you told the team that these terms were agreeable and you would play for these terms. And now, even though a player is still under contract he can decide, "well I'm just not happy with it anymore" and not show up. Your under a freaking contract! You have a legal and moral obligation to play.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 16 2005, 06:55 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 16 2005, 06:24 AM)

It's good for Ward and the Steelers that this thing ended as quickly as it did. But my main gripe still wasn't addressed: He was under contract and chose not to show at camp. If you've signed a contract, deal with it. Be a man and show up. When you signed that contract you told the team that these terms were agreeable and you would play for these terms. And now, even though a player is still under contract he can decide, "well I'm just not happy with it anymore" and not show up. Your under a freaking contract! You have a legal and moral obligation to play.

Yeah I agree with ya on that. I know how the Steelers are though and sometimes people have to pull this crap to get the man at top to get in his wallet and keep one of their best guys ever in Pittsburgh. I would much rather him hold out a week or two instead of show up and then when they never got back with him because they are too cheap then he would just go somewhere else. I know how they do people in Pittsburgh, they let so many good players go because they don't pay much there. I think Hines did what he had to do to get the deal done before he got offended and went somewhere else, after all they promised him a deal would be done by the end of july and it never happened, then the steelers dont deal with anyone until next year, he would be a free agent by then and he would be getting many offers, after reading what he said it made a lot of sense. Theres no doubt in my mind he is settling for less Money to stay in Pittsburgh, I know someone else would pay him a good amount more. You don't know how happy I am to have him retire as a steeler. That's all he really wanted. Not too many other players would settle for less just to stay on the team they want to retire on. That's why Hines is one of my favorite steelers of all time. Bradshaw and Hines ward, my 2 faves of all time. You know as well as I do the list of great players they had for years so thats a good list to be on. 1022.gif

Archived