HUGE SPOILERS, PROBABLY HALF THE SETLIST

pfrushfan0122

Guys, I am certainly holding out hope for some gems, and there is plenty to like in the projected list.

To me, I'm not knocking the songs projected to be picked, but what was missing at CA, and missing "so far" at R41. Also, numerical analysis is fun for me. I got a numbers problemo.

Folks, please dont get the wrong idea. I am analyzing, not whining. I like every song on the projected setlist, but after sitting thru the last tour that ignored the alpha 70s...

We have every "projected" song, if no a/b component, or 22 of possibly as few as 26 total songs (thats if there is an a/b component, for those buying the wrong a/b nite, sorry, you get one little victory!)

So far we are missing, in its entirety- RUSH, FBN, COS,

Minimal representation- KINGS, Hemispheres (both most likely included only as a rip/cut version)

I would propose that you hold off any conclusions until the first show is played in its entirety. And, to be honest, notions like "But they just played The Camera Eye four years ago!" might show that you are overthinking this a bit, perhaps?

They certainly don't need a video to play Finding My Way, In The Mood or Working Man. Aside from Anthem and the sections I and II from By-Tor, what else are they gonna play off FBN? The title track they already sold off to a car commercial?

Do they need video to play any of Bastille Day or parts of the CoS epics?

CTTH and Xanadu and instrumental sections of Cygnus X-1 are all we are going to get off AFTK. They soundchecked that title track almost 10 years ago and it didn't work, no reason to think it would work now.

As far as Hemispheres, methinks people need to let the notion of a complete Side One go. HE CAN'T SING LIKE THAT ANYMORE.

Folks keep pointing to remarks made by the boys as far as deep cuts. Geddy has also said several times that he wishes he could accommodate the fans, but he has gone back and listened to material from the 70s and said "I'm not singing that!"

They do what they want to do and play what they want to play. 41 years now, you know. Expecting anything different at this point is a guaranteed disappointment.

Finally realistic thinking.

Right on dude.

Mick

Mick, I watched SnA recently, was it Circumstances and Natural Science...both sang great. My theory on last two blu rays is they wait til the end of a 75 city tour, then film it. Geds voice was shot both times by then, and he was not full strength. Yes, some age, some!

I'd be thrilled with a baritone if it meant more vintage tunes!

or, Lessons, Tears,Madrigal, Different Strings. He could sing 2 of those , easy.... ;)

THE FOUR CA SONGS...THINK, ROTATION! LET ME REPEAT MYSELF... THINK, ROTATION! LET ME BE MORE CLEAR ...THINK, ROTATION!

ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ....aaaaaandddd, still it won't be heard..... :sigh: :fuckinputer: :sarcastic:

You need a bigger colored font. :LOL:

Folks, please dont get the wrong idea. I am analyzing, not whining. I like every song on the projected setlist, but after sitting thru the last tour that ignored the alpha 70s...

We have every "projected" song, if no a/b component, or 22 of possibly as few as 26 total songs (thats if there is an a/b component, for those buying the wrong a/b nite, sorry, you get one little victory!)

Minimal representation- KINGS, Hemispheres (both most likely included only as a rip/cut version)

I would propose that you hold off any conclusions until the first show is played in its entirety. And, to be honest, notions like "But they just played The Camera Eye four years ago!" might show that you are overthinking this a bit, perhaps?

They certainly don't need a video to play Finding My Way, In The Mood or Working Man. Aside from Anthem and the sections I and II from By-Tor, what else are they gonna play off FBN? The title track they already sold off to a car commercial?

CTTH and Xanadu and instrumental sections of Cygnus X-1 are all we are going to get off AFTK. They soundchecked that title track almost 10 years ago and it didn't work, no reason to think it would work now.

As far as Hemispheres, methinks people need to let the notion of a complete Side One go. HE CAN'T SING LIKE THAT ANYMORE.

Folks keep pointing to remarks made by the boys as far as deep cuts. Geddy has also said several times that he wishes he could accommodate the fans, but he has gone back and listened to material from the 70s and said "I'm not singing that!"

They do what they want to do and play what they want to play. 41 years now, you know. Expecting anything different at this point is a guaranteed disappointment.

Finally realistic thinking.

Right on dude.

Mick

Mick, I watched SnA recently, was it Circumstances and Natural Science...both sang great. My theory on last two blu rays is they wait til the end of a 75 city tour, then film it. Geds voice was shot both times by then, and he was not full strength. Yes, some age, some!

I'd be thrilled with a baritone if it meant more vintage tunes!

or, Lessons, Tears,Madrigal, Different Strings. He could sing 2 of those , easy.... ;)

i agree. but Snakes was the last DVD before the infamous vocal downfall. I think they could get away with SOME 70's tune very early on. but a full tour of them........we all will regret it......trust me.

Mick

• Like 1

Right on sir.

Guys, I am certainly holding out hope for some gems, and there is plenty to like in the projected list.

To me, I'm not knocking the songs projected to be picked, but what was missing at CA, and missing "so far" at R41. Also, numerical analysis is fun for me. I got a numbers problemo.

What would constitute a "gem" in your opinion?

Cut to the Chase, to pick a newer song. Wouldn't mind hearing Different Strings once. I'd ask for a down tuned something for nothing, but I know the realists would be all over that for vocal reasons. Sing it baritone, its awesome either way.

Great poll about which are the most likely omitted songs CMS. I think its dt hitting me with his PC ;), but looking at your poll... the missing songs could very well be tour regulars like LVS or LL. Great tunes, but...LVS is the holy grail, so can't say nada aboot that. Would love to hear the Sphere tho, there's another gem...

Ok...went for my work out at my gym, and had the R30 live show in my iPod and my brain started working (for once) Here are my thoughts on what we have seen so far....

Seeing this "set list" as you are calling it threw some old stuff and some new stuff out in the open...with the John Good revelation and the pic of Neil's "retro-kit" I think I have an idea how this show will work...

Seeing that the retro-kit is more synonymous with the OLDER stuff, and John Good said that it would be used in the second half of the show, I think that you won't hear anything older than the Power Windows album (which was pretty much when he started modifying his kit...I know he started HyF with it, and started messing with things mid-tour) Since they did some PW and HyF stuff last tour..I think they're done with it...SO First half of the show will be stuff that was from that "period" until the CA music...and the CA music will be the rotators, (as will be the stuff from the first half of the show) I think you will only see the post PW-HyF kinds of stuff, and the show looks like any old Rush show from the past 10 years... Geddy has some sort of "thing" where his amps should be, and Alex has something, and Neil plays his current kit. Then they take their intermission and the crew starts their thing...

Seeing some of the "films", I'm thinking that the beginning of the second set starts with the "Stage re-creations" film as they come back on stage, then the "R40 Screen Animations" play while they do the "R40 Overture" I also think that since it appears they are marketing this as "when this incarnation of the band got together, i.e. Neil's arrival" you won't see anything from "Rush" and you will only hear FbN forward through Grace Under Pressure the second set....with the film "Exit Stage Left" being the encore having tunes that we all loved from THAT album...(Xanadu, etc.)

Just a hunch, but with the clues that we have, this might work....

Good theory BUT your biggest clue is the tour credits which for the most part, as seen by the tour credits in the last 2 tour books, RUNS IN ORDER AS IT IS LISTED. CA had a few changes but TM ran exactly as listed,

Your best bet is to start there...

Then if THAT'S the case, then they're walking out and playing Clockwork Angels, and ending with 2112 :huh: Looks like the listing in the book is in reverse order of release....

Cut to the Chase, to pick a newer song. Wouldn't mind hearing Different Strings once. I'd ask for a down tuned something for nothing, but I know the realists would be all over that for vocal reasons. Sing it baritone, its awesome either way.

Great poll about which are the most likely omitted songs CMS. I think its dt hitting me with his PC ;), but looking at your poll... the missing songs could very well be tour regulars like LVS or LL. Great tunes, but...LVS is the holy grail, so can't say nada aboot that. Would love to hear the Sphere tho, there's another gem...

Have to believe they will play LVS and XANADU.
  • Like 1

Sorry, I couldnt get the damn thing to reboot to a normal screen....

Ok...went for my work out at my gym, and had the R30 live show in my iPod and my brain started working (for once) Here are my thoughts on what we have seen so far....

Seeing this "set list" as you are calling it threw some old stuff and some new stuff out in the open...with the John Good revelation and the pic of Neil's "retro-kit" I think I have an idea how this show will work...

Seeing that the retro-kit is more synonymous with the OLDER stuff, and John Good said that it would be used in the second half of the show, I think that you won't hear anything older than the Power Windows album (which was pretty much when he started modifying his kit...I know he started HyF with it, and started messing with things mid-tour) Since they did some PW and HyF stuff last tour..I think they're done with it...SO First half of the show will be stuff that was from that "period" until the CA music...and the CA music will be the rotators, (as will be the stuff from the first half of the show) I think you will only see the post PW-HyF kinds of stuff, and the show looks like any old Rush show from the past 10 years... Geddy has some sort of "thing" where his amps should be, and Alex has something, and Neil plays his current kit. Then they take their intermission and the crew starts their thing...

Seeing some of the "films", I'm thinking that the beginning of the second set starts with the "Stage re-creations" film as they come back on stage, then the "R40 Screen Animations" play while they do the "R40 Overture" I also think that since it appears they are marketing this as "when this incarnation of the band got together, i.e. Neil's arrival" you won't see anything from "Rush" and you will only hear FbN forward through Grace Under Pressure the second set....with the film "Exit Stage Left" being the encore having tunes that we all loved from THAT album...(Xanadu, etc.)

Just a hunch, but with the clues that we have, this might work....

Good theory BUT your biggest clue is the tour credits which for the most part, as seen by the tour credits in the last 2 tour books, RUNS IN ORDER AS IT IS LISTED. CA had a few changes but TM ran exactly as listed,

Your best bet is to start there...

Then if THAT'S the case, then they're walking out and playing Clockwork Angels, and ending with 2112 :huh: Looks like the listing in the book is in reverse order of release....

There are plenty of slots unknown. My theory is that 2112 will likely end the 2nd set because there are two video credits listed after 2112 (one for between the 2nd set and encore and the other for after the show). If this is the case, then there are two schools of thought; (A) the encore will consist of songs from the first 3 or 4 albums, most likely in a medley OR (B) the encore will be used to showcase songs from all the decades.

My 2 cent's -- which probably isn't even worth that when it comes to Rush predictions.

The CA song will rotate.

Camera Eye -- 1/2 version only.

Definitely an R40 Medley somewhere. Maybe a second medley as well.

Very surprised The Garden is not listed after Geddy talking about it for the last few years.

Big Money, Far Cry, OLV --love them all but not necessary to see them again now Too many other unplayed classics

I will probably love the set list when finally revealed.

Edited by big lou
  • Like 1

I was utterly disappointed when I read the setlist for the Clockwork Angels tour. i saw the concert. I utterly enjoyed myself.

I'm confident Rush will give 100% and put on a great concert. Setlist be damned.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 5

I thought I was sitting this tour out, but today a friend bought me a ticket unexpectedly! It's a solo ticket up in the nosebleeds, but I'll be there. Now, knowing I am going to see at least some or all of these songs listed I am ecstatic! You won't hear me complain (you literally won't, I'll be up quite high). ;)
  • Like 2

I thought I was sitting this tour out, but today a friend bought me a ticket unexpectedly! It's a solo ticket up in the nosebleeds, but I'll be there. Now, knowing I am going to see at least some or all of these songs listed I am ecstatic! You won't hear me complain (you literally won't, I'll be up quite high). ;)

Tried to get a Toronto single and both shows are completely sold out.

Rush fans are impossible to please, it seems. I'd guess only 1% of the audience even knows about this board, and even fewer that want The Necromancer over, say, Dreamline. Don't forget, they're a business first - they have to sell tickets, and playing I Think I'm Going Bald ain't gonna please 95% of the audience. It's a tough balance I'm sure.

Hey I resent that!!

I was utterly disappointed when I read the setlist for the Clockwork Angels tour. i saw the concert. I utterly enjoyed myself.

I'm confident Rush will give 100% and put on a great concert. Setlist be damned.

That's what annoys me about some people's attitudes...I'm not a mid-late 80's fan by any stretch of the imagination...one or two songs I really like, but the majority of PW and HyF don't really do it for me...but I DID have a great time at the show...It's a Rush show..how could you NOT have fun?!?!

I think what's purported to be played is pretty good to tell you the truth...can't wait to see the "official" setlist rotation as it goes!

• Like 2

Based on this I'm definately hitting a second and possibly a third show.

There are a ton of tribute bands who will give fans more of what they are looking for..

Me? I'm going to see Rush. I was trying to stay calm about this and pretty much have since the was announced, but I'm really starting to get psyched now.

• Like 2

The one thing I never understand is that so many people mention how long of a song Jacob's Ladder is

On the record it's under 7 1/2 minutes

Clockwork Angels the song is longer - Headlong Flight is right there too

It's not like Jacob's Ladder takes up so much space in the setlist - Secret Touch used to be amount the same length live as well

And they'll probably shorten JL by a minute or so

Another thing about the "/" songs

it could simply be that they wanted to keep the text size and format the same and with the names of those longs being a little longer to list them individually with the same directors name would have thrown off the format

I don't know :)

And I do believe this will most likely be very close to the order they are presented with in concert so the same director or company would be listed separately for the songs they worked on

Always fun to speculate

But I do think there are more surprises

Even bigger surprises than JL and Prelude/Cygnus

I think if Rush were smart and wanted to blow everyone away they would be smart NOT to list anything in a book where people could see it before the show

Maybe they figured JL and Prelude/Cygnus was a little surprise but not as big as other surprises they have in store for us so they wanted to guard it closely

If that's the case then it's smart

I still say 4-5 more songs and they will be old songs from the 70's that no one expects

Fly By Night

Bastille Day

Cinderella Man

The Twilight Zone

The Trees

Xanadu

Lakeside Park

I don't know

I don't think we get anything from the first album

This is a celebration of Neil joining the band

Edited by bscsmkr

Another thing about the "/" songs

it could simply be that they wanted to keep the text size and format the same and with the names of those longs being a little longer to list them individually with the same directors name would have thrown off the format

I don't know :)

And I do believe this will most likely be very close to the order they are presented with in concert so the same director or company would be listed separately for the songs they worked on

Always fun to speculate

But I do think there are more surprises

Even bigger surprises than JL and Prelude/Cygnus

I think if Rush were smart and wanted to blow everyone away they would be smart NOT to list anything in a book where people could see it before the show

Maybe they figured JL and Prelude/Cygnus was a little surprise but not as big as other surprises they have in store for us so they wanted to guard it closely

If that's the case then it's smart

I still say 4-5 more songs and they will be old songs from the 70's that no one expects

Fly By Night

Bastille Day

Cinderella Man

The Twilight Zone

The Trees

Xanadu

Lakeside Park

I don't know

I don't think we get anything from the first album

This is a celebration of Neil joining the band

Love the possiblities for Twilight Zone though it is a bit subdued for live performance. That said, the video list presents no slow songs for them to relax with (like Bravado or the Pass), so TZ might make it.

Lakeside Park would be a perfect choice for the oldies bit--and very singable for Ged.

I've got to think something from T4E might be in the first set, Half the World or title track.

Rush fans are impossible to please, it seems. I'd guess only 1% of the audience even knows about this board, and even fewer that want The Necromancer over, say, Dreamline. Don't forget, they're a business first - they have to sell tickets, and playing I Think I'm Going Bald ain't gonna please 95% of the audience. It's a tough balance I'm sure.

Hey I resent that!!

Your right, but giving your fans what they want would be real nice. Remember, when they cashed it all in on 2112, when it was all or nothing, going out with a bang, doing it they're way, despite when the record company executives wanted (they wanted radio music. A hit), it was the older fan base that bought that record and saved they're careers. It was the over 50's who said "yes" to the birth of the greatest prog-rock band ever. So yea, FREAKIN PLAY SOME AFWTK AND / OR SOME HEMISPHERES.
  • Like 1

Hey I resent that!!

Your right, but giving your fans what they want would be real nice. Remember, when they cashed it all in on 2112, when it was all or nothing, going out with a bang, doing it they're way, despite when the record company executives wanted (they wanted radio music. A hit), it was the older fan base that bought that record and saved they're careers. It was the over 50's who said "yes" to the birth of the greatest prog-rock band ever. So yea, FREAKIN PLAY SOME AFWTK AND / OR SOME HEMISPHERES.

Yeah but it was us then young teens who found them in the 80's composing music similar but so strikingly different than what our peers were trying to coerce us into liking whether it be hair bands or punk. WE Carried them through P/G, PowerWindows, and Hold Your Fire. We sustained the momentum when some of the first responders abandoned ship.

We had our tour the last time. You are getting yours this time with an entire set of Moving Pictures and prior to. Enjoy the moment.

Edited by dtpoet
  • Like 1

Hey I resent that!!

Yeah but it was us then young teens who found them in the 80's composing music similar but so strikingly different than what our peers were trying to coerce us into liking whether it be hair bands or punk. WE Carried them through P/G, PowerWindows, and Hold Your Fire. We sustained the momentum when some of the first responders abandoned ship.

We had our tour the last time. You are getting yours this time with an entire set of Moving Pictures and prior to. Enjoy the moment.

Well, all that remains to be seen. at this point we have a twitter pic or instagram (or whatever it was) of a supposed setlist. I'll believe it when I hear it. I don't know how old you are, but I will tell you this. In the fall of 1978 I was 14 years old. I saw RUSH on the tour of the Hemispheres at the state fair grounds in Oklahoma City. At that point in my life all I had ever seen was KISS and Ted Nugent. The tour of the Hemispheres was like a religious experience compared to the aforementioned (no offence to KISS or Ted). I have seen many concerts in my day. Trust me, I'm not bragging, I just love music and going to a good concert is like my hobby. I have seen Rush more than any other band. they represent so much to me as I'm sure they do you. I would pay almost any amount of money to hear even a morsel of what I got that evening.

If there is a God in heaven, yes please I hope your right. this time it's for the old farts ;)

• Like 1