HUGE SPOILERS, PROBABLY HALF THE SETLIST

pfrushfan0122

You gotta be kidding on the CA material.? the song CA has got to be one of the top 5 worst ever.

What? No way man. CA is a great song, and I'm an old school Rush fan.

What would you rather hear: Xanadu or CA? I mean no offense, I'm old school Rush myself. I bought Caress of Steel off the shelf when I was 14 years old. CA is one of the most confusing hodge podge messes they have ever done. but to each his own. One mans junk is another mans treasure. If they play it, they play it. It's not like I'll get up and walk out.

You gotta be kidding on the CA material.? the song CA has got to be one of the top 5 worst ever.

What would you rather hear: Xanadu or CA? I mean no offense, I'm old school Rush myself. I bought Caress of Steel off the shelf when I was 14 years old. CA is one of the most confusing hodge podge messes they have ever done. but to each his own. One mans junk is another mans treasure. If they play it, they play it. It's not like I'll get up and walk out.

Wow. You took a sharp left turn from your original post. Of course Xanadu is the choice (my favorite Rush song BTW). That wasn't the focus of your post. You just said CA was one of their worst songs. I totally disagree. In my opinion CA is one of the 3 best songs on the album. And, I actually think CA is Rush's best album since Power Windows. But, you're right. Everyone has their own opinion. Just depends on what rings your bell I suppose.
  • Like 2

Wow. You took a sharp left turn from your original post. Of course Xanadu is the choice (my favorite Rush song BTW). That wasn't the focus of your post. You just said CA was one of their worst songs. I totally disagree. In my opinion CA is one of the 3 best songs on the album. And, I actually think CA is Rush's best album since Power Windows. But, you're right. Everyone has their own opinion. Just depends on what rings your bell I suppose.

Well you know what? I like the album CA. I find the song confusing (but that's just me). 7C of G or Headlong Flight are my best choices. I have a friend who hates the whole album! Wow! go figure. The first time I saw Rush was 77 or 78 - Tour of the Hemispheres. I'm stuck on all the stuff before Hold your Fire. I do my best to tolerate everything after that, but I'm just old and that's how I fly. I ran into a guy a few years back at a show in Wichita KS, and he put it best.... He said, "I told my wife that RUSH was coming to Wichita, we HAVE to go.... She said, "RUSH? Remind me what songs they play?" It doesn't matter, IT'S FEAKIN RUSH!!! When they start playing it, we'll know what it is, and it will be great!"

that's about all there is to say about that. By the way, I'm going this Friday, I'll report back

why would they do 4 songs from C.A. ...they just did the whole album,LAST TOUR (minus BU2B) ??? love that cd,but cmon ! It has to be a fake list....

Ok...went for my work out at my gym, and had the R30 live show in my iPod and my brain started working (for once) Here are my thoughts on what we have seen so far....

Seeing this "set list" as you are calling it threw some old stuff and some new stuff out in the open...with the John Good revelation and the pic of Neil's "retro-kit" I think I have an idea how this show will work...

Seeing that the retro-kit is more synonymous with the OLDER stuff, and John Good said that it would be used in the second half of the show, I think that you won't hear anything older than the Power Windows album (which was pretty much when he started modifying his kit...I know he started HyF with it, and started messing with things mid-tour) Since they did some PW and HyF stuff last tour..I think they're done with it...SO First half of the show will be stuff that was from that "period" until the CA music...and the CA music will be the rotators, (as will be the stuff from the first half of the show) I think you will only see the post PW-HyF kinds of stuff, and the show looks like any old Rush show from the past 10 years... Geddy has some sort of "thing" where his amps should be, and Alex has something, and Neil plays his current kit. Then they take their intermission and the crew starts their thing...

Seeing some of the "films", I'm thinking that the beginning of the second set starts with the "Stage re-creations" film as they come back on stage, then the "R40 Screen Animations" play while they do the "R40 Overture" I also think that since it appears they are marketing this as "when this incarnation of the band got together, i.e. Neil's arrival" you won't see anything from "Rush" and you will only hear FbN forward through Grace Under Pressure the second set....with the film "Exit Stage Left" being the encore having tunes that we all loved from THAT album...(Xanadu, etc.)

Just a hunch, but with the clues that we have, this might work....

why would they do 4 songs from C.A. ...they just did the whole album,LAST TOUR (minus BU2B) ??? love that cd,but cmon ! It has to be a fake list....

Good question!!!

While it may not be ideal for the fans, I can certainly see why they would want to play 4 songs from CA. It's called creative juices and enjoying playing the newer material that has been played only 45 times instead of 2500 times - and it is well documented that the band is extremely proud and fond of CA...I think they have referred to it is their finest album in a longa$# time

Ok...went for my work out at my gym, and had the R30 live show in my iPod and my brain started working (for once) Here are my thoughts on what we have seen so far....

Seeing this "set list" as you are calling it threw some old stuff and some new stuff out in the open...with the John Good revelation and the pic of Neil's "retro-kit" I think I have an idea how this show will work...

Seeing that the retro-kit is more synonymous with the OLDER stuff, and John Good said that it would be used in the second half of the show, I think that you won't hear anything older than the Power Windows album (which was pretty much when he started modifying his kit...I know he started HyF with it, and started messing with things mid-tour) Since they did some PW and HyF stuff last tour..I think they're done with it...SO First half of the show will be stuff that was from that "period" until the CA music...and the CA music will be the rotators, (as will be the stuff from the first half of the show) I think you will only see the post PW-HyF kinds of stuff, and the show looks like any old Rush show from the past 10 years... Geddy has some sort of "thing" where his amps should be, and Alex has something, and Neil plays his current kit. Then they take their intermission and the crew starts their thing...

Seeing some of the "films", I'm thinking that the beginning of the second set starts with the "Stage re-creations" film as they come back on stage, then the "R40 Screen Animations" play while they do the "R40 Overture" I also think that since it appears they are marketing this as "when this incarnation of the band got together, i.e. Neil's arrival" you won't see anything from "Rush" and you will only hear FbN forward through Grace Under Pressure the second set....with the film "Exit Stage Left" being the encore having tunes that we all loved from THAT album...(Xanadu, etc.)

you might be onto something here...

Folks, please dont get the wrong idea. I am analyzing, not whining. I like every song on the projected setlist, but after sitting thru the last tour that ignored the alpha 70s...

We have every "projected" song, if no a/b component, or 22 of possibly as few as 26 total songs (thats if there is an a/b component, for those buying the wrong a/b nite, sorry, you get one little victory!)

So far we are missing, in its entirety- RUSH, FBN, COS,

Minimal representation- KINGS, Hemispheres (both most likely included only as a rip/cut version)

Folks, they sold out arenas in 1979, before PeW and completely ignored the 70s on the last tour, except 2112.

Per Geddy - CELEBRATION OF OUR ENTIRE HISTORY.

Per Alex - this little musical trip that we’re planning.

Per Neil - "we played a lot of that last tour, so we can set that album aside, and what about this one we haven't played for a while?" We want to do a complete chronological presentation of all that time too."

Just in last ten years-

Clockwork Angels- 9 wasnt enough in 2012 & 2013?

The Anarchist - 9 wasnt enough in 2012 & 2013?

The Wreckers- 9 wasnt enough in 2012 & 2013?

Headlong Flight- 9 wasnt enough in 2012 & 2013?

Big Money- 2012, 2013, 2015 (and practically every tour PoW thru VT)

Far Cry - 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

One Little Victory - 2004, 2007, 2008, 2015

Animate - 2004, 2015 (ok a rarity, but CTTC never played, BSOM rarely played and Anim played on CP, T4E)

Roll The Bones - 2004, (played every tour 1991 - 2004, dropped 1st time ever SnA)

Distant Early Warning - "rarity" played only half on SnA tour, surprised not more often, but was mostly a mainstay 1984-2002)

Subdivisions - hit

Tom Sawyer - hit

Red Barchetta/YYZ (together?) - both hits

The Camera Eye - AWESOME SAUCE, but just seen it, 2010, 2011

Spirit of Radio/Natural Science/Closer To The Heart - Ruin two great songs, with a slash, cut, rip, xanacondutor, or same production company?

Jacob's Ladder -THATS THE TICKET!!

Hemispheres Prelude/Cygnus X1- Ruin two great songs with a slash,cut, rip, xanacondutor or same production company?

2112 - hit, every tour

you might be onto something here...

Well the logic behind it is that why would Neil play something from like Presto through CA on his old double bass concert tom kit...and why would be play something old on his current kit? (since a lot of it used the concert toms) The R40 Screen animations reminds me of the beginning of the R30 show when they played snippets of all the old stuff, and had things on the video screen....Exit Stage Left to me feels like an "encore" kind of thing...knowing their humor...

I also think that the stage will look like the old style with amps on either side of the drum kit, and the video screen will look like the old film screen....

The other thought I had on the R40 Screen Animations is sort of like when they did the animations for the Moving Pictures songs...maybe one "file" has all of the animation for the tunes not listed that everyone is stressing over that we aren't getting?!?!

I dunno...

THE FOUR CA SONGS...THINK, ROTATION! LET ME REPEAT MYSELF... THINK, ROTATION! LET ME BE MORE CLEAR ...THINK, ROTATION!

ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ROTATION! ....aaaaaandddd, still it won't be heard..... :sigh: :fuckinputer: :sarcastic:

• Like 2

Folks, please dont get the wrong idea. I am analyzing, not whining. I like every song on the projected setlist, but after sitting thru the last tour that ignored the alpha 70s...

We have every "projected" song, if no a/b component, or 22 of possibly as few as 26 total songs (thats if there is an a/b component, for those buying the wrong a/b nite, sorry, you get one little victory!)

Minimal representation- KINGS, Hemispheres (both most likely included only as a rip/cut version)

I would propose that you hold off any conclusions until the first show is played in its entirety. And, to be honest, notions like "But they just played The Camera Eye four years ago!" might show that you are overthinking this a bit, perhaps?

They certainly don't need a video to play Finding My Way, In The Mood or Working Man. Aside from Anthem and the sections I and II from By-Tor, what else are they gonna play off FBN? The title track they already sold off to a car commercial?

Do they need video to play any of Bastille Day or parts of the CoS epics?

CTTH and Xanadu and instrumental sections of Cygnus X-1 are all we are going to get off AFTK. They soundchecked that title track almost 10 years ago and it didn't work, no reason to think it would work now.

As far as Hemispheres, methinks people need to let the notion of a complete Side One go. HE CAN'T SING LIKE THAT ANYMORE.

Folks keep pointing to remarks made by the boys as far as deep cuts. Geddy has also said several times that he wishes he could accommodate the fans, but he has gone back and listened to material from the 70s and said "I'm not singing that!"

They do what they want to do and play what they want to play. 41 years now, you know. Expecting anything different at this point is a guaranteed disappointment.

• Like 5

I would propose that you hold off any conclusions until the first show is played in its entirety. And, to be honest, notions like "But they just played The Camera Eye four years ago!" might show that you are overthinking this a bit, perhaps?

They certainly don't need a video to play Finding My Way, In The Mood or Working Man. Aside from Anthem and the sections I and II from By-Tor, what else are they gonna play off FBN? The title track they already sold off to a car commercial?

CTTH and Xanadu and instrumental sections of Cygnus X-1 are all we are going to get off AFTK. They soundchecked that title track almost 10 years ago and it didn't work, no reason to think it would work now.

As far as Hemispheres, methinks people need to let the notion of a complete Side One go. HE CAN'T SING LIKE THAT ANYMORE.

Folks keep pointing to remarks made by the boys as far as deep cuts. Geddy has also said several times that he wishes he could accommodate the fans, but he has gone back and listened to material from the 70s and said "I'm not singing that!"

They do what they want to do and play what they want to play. 41 years now, you know. Expecting anything different at this point is a guaranteed disappointment.

Finally realistic thinking.

Right on dude.

Mick

• Like 1

Folks, they sold out arenas in 1979, before PeW and completely ignored the 70s on the last tour, except 2112.

Per Geddy - CELEBRATION OF OUR ENTIRE HISTORY.

Per Alex - this little musical trip that we’re planning.

Per Neil - "we played a lot of that last tour, so we can set that album aside, and what about this one we haven't played for a while?" We want to do a complete chronological presentation of all that time too."

Just in last ten years-

Clockwork Angels- 9 wasnt enough in 2012 & 2013?

The Anarchist - 9 wasnt enough in 2012 & 2013?

The Wreckers- 9 wasnt enough in 2012 & 2013?

Headlong Flight- 9 wasnt enough in 2012 & 2013?

Big Money- 2012, 2013, 2015 (and practically every tour PoW thru VT)

Far Cry - 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

One Little Victory - 2004, 2007, 2008, 2015

Animate - 2004, 2015 (ok a rarity, but CTTC never played, BSOM rarely played and Anim played on CP, T4E)

Roll The Bones - 2004, (played every tour 1991 - 2004, dropped 1st time ever SnA)

Distant Early Warning - "rarity" played only half on SnA tour, surprised not more often, but was mostly a mainstay 1984-2002)

Subdivisions - hit

Tom Sawyer - hit

Red Barchetta/YYZ (together?) - both hits

The Camera Eye - AWESOME SAUCE, but just seen it, 2010, 2011

Spirit of Radio/Natural Science/Closer To The Heart - Ruin two great songs, with a slash, cut, rip, xanacondutor, or same production company?

Jacob's Ladder -THATS THE TICKET!!

Hemispheres Prelude/Cygnus X1- Ruin two great songs with a slash,cut, rip, xanacondutor or same production company?

2112 - hit, every tour

Ok, well let's continue to analyze then.

CA songs. It's very possible that the 4 CA songs they have queued up will get rotated in and out. So, I'm thinking 2 per night versus 4. But, even if they aren't rotated, they are songs from the band's most recent album. It's not like 4 songs is a travesty. They also happen to be 4 pretty damn good songs.

Big Money was given a 10 year rest before the band brought it back in 2012. It's a great song with lots of energy.

Far Cry - isn't going anywhere. The band obviously likes playing it and it's a hell of song live. One of my favorite post-Power Windows songs so I have no problem with it at all.

One Little Victory - given a break last tour. Another high energy song.

Animate - given an 11 year rest. Good song.

Roll the Bones - hasn't been played live in 11 years.

Distant Early Warning - was a staple in the 80's and early 90's. Has been rotated in and out of tours since 94. A fairly popular song.

Subdivisions/Tom Sawyer/Red Barchetta/YYZ/2112 - no surprises here. You knew you were going to get these and you should get these songs at a Rush concert. Without these songs a Rush concert is like Kim Kardashian without ass.

The Camera Eye/Jacob's Ladder - hard to bitch about these. Rare and fine songs.

As for Spirit of Radio/Natural Science/Closer to the Heart/Prelude/Cygnus - there's no guarantee these songs will be cut and/or sliced. But even if they are, if it's done properly it will be awesome. I have faith in the Band.

All phases of the catalog are represented. So, it is a celebration of their entire history, as Geddy said. And, apparently they are playing some songs they haven't played in a while, so it jives with what Neil has said.

I don't see a song on the list that makes me think "what in the hell are they playing that for?" There are a lot of heavy songs that should make for an energetic performance. I'm pretty stoked.

• Like 7

This right here makes so much sense. Hemispheres aint happening. The guy is 61 years old. Listen to Hemispheres. IT....AINT....HAPPENING! Father time is undefeated.

Good theory BUT your biggest clue is the tour credits which for the most part, as seen by the tour credits in the last 2 tour books, RUNS IN ORDER AS IT IS LISTED. CA had a few changes but TM ran exactly as listed,

Your best bet is to start there...

• Like 1