DISCUSS! Bands you like more than Rush...

Segue Myles

Bone Machine is bloody fantastic. Really my last absolute favorite album of his. He's still good mind ya, just that was his last masterpiece.

ohhhh bone Machine. the guy's fantastic. I get why he's a turn off......but man when it connects.......there's nothing like it.

Mick

You can pawn yer watch and chain but not that feeeeeeel

Great album

• Like 1

Rush is my favorite so none. Led Zeppelin comes pretty damn close in 2nd though, but I love Rush just a liiitle more.
  • Like 1

Plenty.

Toto(Shut up)

The Band

Dire Straits

Steely Dan

Kansas(70's Kansas beats 70's rush easy)

Queen

I can go more but i'll wait for criticisms on theses, lol

Mick

Whatever happened to Tom Waits with you? :LOL: I think it's time for a new avatar. You could always grab Nicolas Cage ;)

he said bands.

Tom Waits still trumps all buddy, lol

Mick

I'm not super familiar with Tom Waits, but In the Colosseum and New Coat of Paint (the only songs I'm very familiar with) are really f***ing good

I can't do the voice. He sounds like his larynx got run over by a semi.

Joe Bonamassa does a really cool interpretation of Jockey Full Of Bourbon, though.

LOL. Don't listen to Captain Beefheart then!! Use me like an ashtray heart, case of the punks, right from the start!!

Beefheart's shit

Mick

I would never cuss but yes, I agree!

Segue, can we have a little backup on this one ?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03054/abba_3054901b.jpg

ABBA and The Beatles are better than Rush.

Oops!

I will also say that Rush is top, and can never be unseated. But I also understand the intent of the thread- and there is so much music that I do love, that I can definitely list some bands that I love or have loved as much as Rush.

But I'm going to have to think for awhile, before I start to just name bands willy nilly.

Maybe I should have renamed this thread to bands you like almost as much or more than Rush...

Top three bands: Queen, Rush, and Muse, in that order.

And Queen's only got Rush beat out cause I found them first. Plus no band will ever have a song that represents their entire career better than Queen with Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Like 1

Maybe I should have renamed this thread to bands you like almost as much or more than Rush...

This is why I said I'd have to think about it. Rush has meant so much to me, for so long...

Anyway, all right, here goes:

The Black Crowes

Ray LaMontagne

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Joni Mitchell (mainly 1969-'79 only, with some later stuff included, too)

Yes (1969-'78 only)

I know there are more...buy that'll do, for a start.

And Queen's only got Rush beat out cause I found them first. Plus no band will ever have a song that represents their entire career better than Queen with Bohemian Rhapsody.

Muse? Wow, did not expect to see them mentioned! Good on you! I enjoy them a lot.

• Like 2

This is why I said I'd have to think about it. Rush has meant so much to me, for so long...

Anyway, all right, here goes:

The Black Crowes

Ray LaMontagne

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Joni Mitchell (mainly 1969-'79 only, with some later stuff included, too)

Yes (1969-'78 only)

I know there are more...buy that'll do, for a start.

I am torn on Yes. They are in the same boat as Styx, I am mad about them but they are definitley mood bands, I need to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy them!

• Like 1

Rush are my number one, but for longevity and sustained excellence (for the most part) I also have to mention Marillion, Deep Purple and Manic Street Preachers.

But with Rush at #1.

Out of all the bands that rotate in and out of my top ten bands, Rush has never left that spot. So while they aren't always #1 on a given day or month, they've always remained so I can easily say they are my all time favorite band

I have a lot of "favorite" bands, and Rush is among them. Good tunes is good tunes, no need for ranking for me :).
  • Like 1

I have for the longest time found Animal Collective (and solo member Panda Bear) as well as They Might Be Giants to be undeniably superior to Rush in my books. Beyond that, Rush falls into a weird ranking that is ever changing with my mood about how I feel about them compared to the rest of my top ten.

1) RUSH....for 33 years. As soon as I heard them something clicked. I wore out 2 cassettes of Permanent Waves throughout high school

5) Led Zeppelin

5) Stevie Ray Vaughn

5) Pink Floyd

5) Black Sabbath with Ozzy

Everyone else:

Van Halen - Van Hager

Iron Maiden - pre powerslave

AC/DC up to For Those About to Rock

Fleetwood Mac

Garbage

Billy Joel

Queen

Some one offs:

Norah Jones

Sarah MacLaughlin - for her voice. I don't have any of her albums other than a Christmas one.

• Like 1

Like more than post-Terry Brown Rush? Many bands, more than worth listing. More than Terry Brown Rush? Maybe just The Beatles, Wire and Radiohead, though the Pixies relatively short burst of greatness and The Wedding Present's best material (Seamonsters and Take Fountain, along with side project Cinerama) might edge them out. Tones on Tail, if they had kept making albums like Pop (UK)/The Album Pop (U.S.) and New Order, if they had stuck more to their early style and not drifted into programmed club pop, could have challenged Rush also, but as things are their representative output is too limited to compare them to Rush. Led Zeppelin is pretty hard to leave behind as well, but that run of 2112 through MP is pretty hard to compete with.

So I guess I'll go with The Beatles, Wire, Radiohead, Pixies (despite a short run of albums), and The Wedding Present (despite a lack of consistency). And Led Zeppelin in a tie. Final answer.

Edited by Rutlefan

Muse? Wow, did not expect to see them mentioned! Good on you! I enjoy them a lot.

Thank goodness for the Internet or I never would have found them. Back before I discovered Muse I basically didn't listen to music made after the "classic rock" period (bad term, I know). Then some dude online said "hey man, I really like this band muse and I think you would like 'em to cause they're a little bit like Queen!" I said sure, he sent me some videos, Time Is Running Out became my favorite Muse song and I've been in love with them ever since. Now I'm supremely "psych(o)"-ed for the new album this June!

I remember you had that signature with a bunch of album covers on it a while back and I remember seeing Black Holes and Revelations on there. Can I assume those were some of your favorite albums?

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo