My show opener prediction: Place your odds

It's tough to figure because it's gotta be something upbeat as mentioned, and it's gotta be bigger. If we toss the medley, along with TS, TSOR, Limelight and Subdivisions---which they've done since '02---it's really tricky. Big Money is big but had slot two last time. Freewill would get the crowd jumping, as would YYZ. I think Dreamline has a shot. If they do something chronological, maybe FBN, Bastille Day, even BBB?

Xanadu (full rendition)

Just picture it, the lights suddenly go way down, the crowd hushes, the screen is black, and a single low bass pedal can be heard throughout the arena. Slowly but surely people begin to understand and realize that the greatest miracle of the night is occurring, and they begin to cheer, but not too loud, the song's only just begun. Woodblocks and chimes and violin guitar notes shimmer and fade in throughout the arena until Alex starts playing that signature riff. Once, twice, a couple more times then....BOOM!! Lights go up, spot on Alex, drums and bass come in with a crash, and the crowd breaks into full on cheering as the song explodes into epicness.

That's how to start a concert.

For an opening like that, I would walk to Seattle.

• Like 3

Xanadu (full rendition)

Just picture it, the lights suddenly go way down, the crowd hushes, the screen is black, and a single low bass pedal can be heard throughout the arena. Slowly but surely people begin to understand and realize that the greatest miracle of the night is occurring, and they begin to cheer, but not too loud, the song's only just begun. Woodblocks and chimes and violin guitar notes shimmer and fade in throughout the arena until Alex starts playing that signature riff. Once, twice, a couple more times then....BOOM!! Lights go up, spot on Alex, drums and bass come in with a crash, and the crowd breaks into full on cheering as the song explodes into epicness.

Oh dear, I just soiled myself.

Love Headlong Flight,just don't see it as the opener,hope they play it.I'm betting on The Fountain of Lamneth...jk.If I was a betting man,I'd go with TSOR.Please don't let it be Tom Sawyer.Love to see Time Stand Still open the show.Freeze this moment a little bit longer.....
  • Like 1

Finding my Way

Start R40 with Track 1 on RUSH

2112 could also be up there. Overture/Temple to start, and then Finale to end the show

Love Headlong Flight,just don't see it as the opener,hope they play it.I'm betting on The Fountain of Lamneth...jk.If I was a betting man,I'd go with TSOR.Please don't let it be Tom Sawyer.Love to see Time Stand Still open the show.Freeze this moment a little bit longer.....

Totally agree. TSS got the crowd going when I saw the Time Machine Tour in 2011

I would like to add that, with the exception of the R30 and Snakes and Arrows tours, every tour has had the opening song be the opening song from an album. I'd bet that on that happening, but maybe it will not be like that. We'll know tonight!

The R40-1 Overture!

I have a hunch that most everything is going to be chronologically reversed. I'm betting an R40 medley of the first three albums happens as the encore ending with some version of Working Man.

First song: Headlong Flight - begin with last album, lyrics all about 'the great journey that was'. Selist is chronologically reversed. Encore ends with Working Man, end with first album, lyrics are the very essence of what Rush is all about. The "real" Time Machine Tour.
  • Like 2

HEADLONG FLIGHT.

You heard it here first.

Odds are pretty low but that'd be a great opener IMO.

I think it'll be somthing that has high Geddy singing in it, so that maybe it'll be easier for him to finish early on in the set.

Which one though, I have no idea but maybe it'd be a staple / hit like Freewill.

First song: Headlong Flight - begin with last album, lyrics all about 'the great journey that was'. Selist is chronologically reversed. Encore ends with Working Man, end with first album, lyrics are the very essence of what Rush is all about. The "real" Time Machine Tour.

This isn't the first time I've read about a reverse chronological order set and it's a really great idea.

And.. And...

CHROMEY 2.0 is gonna' be there!!!!

I never thought I'd get so amped up to see Neil behind a double bass drum set again, wow this is exciting stuff I'm not even being half sarcastic!!

• Like 1

Xanadu (full rendition)

While I 100% agree that Xanadu is a miracle (my 2nd fav RUSH song ever) I don't think opening up with it is a good fit. I mean how do you follow that up, with Totem or You Bet Your Life right after??

HEADLONG FLIGHT.

You heard it here first.

Odds are pretty low but that'd be a great opener IMO.

I think it'll be somthing that has high Geddy singing in it, so that maybe it'll be easier for him to finish early on in the set.

Which one though, I have no idea but maybe it'd be a staple / hit like Freewill.

I think it will be Clockwork Angels or Headlong Flight based upon the tour book credits. For the last two tours, the tour books have pretty much listed the songs in order. The only thing I worry about is that a non credited CA song like Caravan will open.