My show opener prediction: Place your odds

I'm not feeling an R40 medley as an opener. They themselves have said they don't like to do what's already been done, and I for one didn't think the R30 medley was all that memorable. It was great to hear some ghost riffs from the past but just as you were starting to get into it, it turned into something else. I would take two songs from the vault over another 8 minutes of mish-mash any day.
  • Like 2

Where is the 'I bow to you emoticon?'

I don't remember seeing that Justin but I really think you nailed it. It would give a chance to do the bass opener to a dark stage and then they would burst onstage and just tear it up for 7 minutes. I know CA is not everyone's favorite but I really think HL would fire up the audience right out of the gate and I can't think of a better place for it in the setlist and YOU KNOW they like it and want to play it and you know they WILL play it. For me I'm thinking: BEST. OPENER. EVER.

• Like 1

If not a medley to start, an encore medley like they did on the RTB tour would be cool. I don't see them not doing some sort of R30-ish style medley this time out...and I'm all for it.

As far as an opener goes if not a medley, I would expect it to be something familiar, that they can play almost in their sleep...sort of an on-stage warmup for them to get into things. Subdivisions, SOR, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, all tunes they have played ad infinitum, have opened the last 4 tours. Good for them to ease into other stuff as the set moves forward, plus it gets a tune they are more or less sick of playing out of the way right off the bat.

HEADLONG FLIGHT.

You heard it here first.

Ah, so I can arrive 7 minutes late?

We're going Classic Rush on tour.

To get the crowd roaring......

TSOR

I agree with Experience2Extremes. A medley as an opener has been done and they probably won't rehash it. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen somewhere else in the set though.

I have three theories:

1) Most likely is they open with an upbeat hit song like New World Man, Limelight etc.

2) Somewhat likely is they open with most or all of side 1 of 2112, which would be epic.

3) Least likely is they open with a song (maybe Working Man) off 1st album. Doing a chronological setlist, which has been hinted at by Alex and Neil.

Xanadu (full rendition)

Just picture it, the lights suddenly go way down, the crowd hushes, the screen is black, and a single low bass pedal can be heard throughout the arena. Slowly but surely people begin to understand and realize that the greatest miracle of the night is occurring, and they begin to cheer, but not too loud, the song's only just begun. Woodblocks and chimes and violin guitar notes shimmer and fade in throughout the arena until Alex starts playing that signature riff. Once, twice, a couple more times then....BOOM!! Lights go up, spot on Alex, drums and bass come in with a crash, and the crowd breaks into full on cheering as the song explodes into epicness.

That's how to start a concert.

• Like 3

I'm not feeling an R40 medley as an opener. They themselves have said they don't like to do what's already been done, and I for one didn't think the R30 medley was all that memorable. It was great to hear some ghost riffs from the past but just as you were starting to get into it, it turned into something else. I would take two songs from the vault over another 8 minutes of mish-mash any day.

I couldn't disagree more. Or maybe I could. I agree that they may not open with a medley, but putting one in is a great way to give a nod to songs they can't do anymore. I loved the R30 medley.

R40 Overture

• Working Man

• By-Tor and the Snowdog

• Didacts and Narpets

• Something for Nothing

• A Farewell to Kings

• Circumstances

leading into…

Tom Sawyer

Edited by Disk98