Writing Thread

MusicHead

I couldn't find one on here, so I decided to start one.

I wrapped up a 985-page, 501+K novel last year, a project I'd been kicking around for well over a decade. After mom's passing, I took some necessary time to reflect, to mourn, to heal, and to dream once again.

Just finished up an outline for my next work. That's the easy part. Filling in the gaps, that's where the mystery and the magic begin. :)

What about you? What strikes your fancy in your written world?

• Like 6

Wow- congratulations on completing that. I've never written anything even close to that long.

I honestly don't write much at all anymore; my creative energies in that regard seem to have been zapped, some time ago. But the few things that I have done...it seems that I can't separate the things that come from my pen, or however you want to say it, from the experiences I've had. I used to be able to write things that were not direct allegories out of my own life; I used to be able to write things that had nothing to do with any of my own experience. But it seems I can't separate myself from it anymore. Does that make sense?

Not to say that I couldn't still come up with something good...but I'd prefer it if I didn't feel that it was something completely autobiographical.

• Like 2

I wrapped up a 985-page, 501+K novel last year, a project I'd been kicking around for well over a decade. After mom's passing, I took some necessary time to reflect, to mourn, to heal, and to dream once again.

Just finished up an outline for my next work. That's the easy part. Filling in the gaps, that's where the mystery and the magic begin. :)

Amazing no doubt and congrats for sure but I can barely read... ;) Edited by Narpsberg

Writing is something I enjoy. Thanks to graduate school I got the bug for it. Now, my creative energies are geared toward video and writing. It's a fun process when it flows from you, much in the same vein as music when inspiration hits.

What's the book aboot?

• Like 1

Wow! Many people start books, few complete them- that is quite an admirable feat! I basically read mysteries and history/memoirs/biographies and have briefly thought about writing either but haven't ever attempted it. I have a friend who has written two mysteries and done the self publishing thing with Lulu Publishing and she really enjoys it. I don't think they have sold large numbers but she enjoys the process and the friends she has made in the writing/self publishing world. I had to smile when I saw that you like Dean Koontz' writing- he has a history in my part of Pennsylvania. He went to college one town to the west and taught in the town that is one town to the east before his writing took off. That was like 45 years ago but more people than you would think would come in when I worked in our town library that still knew him or remembered him as a teacher :)

• Like 2

Wow. I am floored by that Koontz story. My favorite author, hands-down. Humble beginnings, hard work--the epitome of the American dream. Plus he was a teacher--probably the most honorable profession there is. :D
  • Like 1

A bit of an update: I started Dreamer in earnest last week, up to @page 33 of text, probably 10K words. Each part title, chapter title, and subdivided title is either a Rush song or album. The parts are: Distant Early Warning, Different Stages, and In the End. The epilogue is Exit...Stage Left.

Wow- congratulations on completing that. I've never written anything even close to that long.

I honestly don't write much at all anymore; my creative energies in that regard seem to have been zapped, some time ago. But the few things that I have done...it seems that I can't separate the things that come from my pen, or however you want to say it, from the experiences I've had. I used to be able to write things that were not direct allegories out of my own life; I used to be able to write things that had nothing to do with any of my own experience. But it seems I can't separate myself from it anymore. Does that make sense?

Not to say that I couldn't still come up with something good...but I'd prefer it if I didn't feel that it was something completely autobiographical.

You shouldn't separate yourself from your writing then. To me that's a sign that you must write your heart out. At least write it for yourself.

Edit: I believe that most writers are writing themselves into their books in some way or other. Stephen King does it a lot. Most of his protagonists are teachers or authors, which he himself was/is.

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 2

I wanted to be an author when I was in elementary school. I was almost extremely shy and introverted, but as I've grown more extroverted and restless, I can't help but feel that the world is rushing by without me, if I sit still for too long. Other than that my stories tend to be over in a short amount of pages.
  • Like 1

My outline includes three parts and an Epilogue, respectively entitled:

DISTANT EARLY WARNING

THE FEAR TETRALOGY

MOVING PICTURES

EXIT...STAGE LEFT

Interspersed among these subdivisions (snicker snicker), you'll find Gangster of Boats, Moto Perpetuo, Witch Hunt, Snakes & Arrows, Signals, and The Camera Eye (et. al.).

Crossed the 80K threshold this week; taking the week off. Mentally charting where the tale picks up.

Fixed for grammatical correctness.

Being a writer and all, you really should do that. ;)