"Peart pain is part of Rush road 'retirement'

antiquark

Painkillers exist for a reason....Just sayin'

Just speaking from the perspective of being old and having similar and in some cases worse problems... It ain't that simple. Wish it were... :codger:

Absolutely, they may take the edge off but it never goes away completely.

^^^ True that. Its a delicate balance. If you go to far not only is the edge off but you can't function either. Example would be mixing alcohol with the pain meds which I do not do but have done maybe twice (and very little alcohol at that). Just looking for the bed at that point... :sigh: :zzz: I don't put myself in situations to be drinking anyway. I will have to be careful when I go to the show in Atlanta not to give into the temptation to be "normal" again...

I've never understood why people like to drink at concerts. It just dulls everything. I would rather be fully awake to be able to fully experience and remember everything.

Totally right, can't be f***ing up memories with alcohol. Gotta :smoke:

That would be tempting indeed. Wish it were legal as I am very good at growing things... :)

It's only a matter of time.

Just speaking from the perspective of being old and having similar and in some cases worse problems... It ain't that simple. Wish it were... :codger:

^^^ True that. Its a delicate balance. If you go to far not only is the edge off but you can't function either. Example would be mixing alcohol with the pain meds which I do not do but have done maybe twice (and very little alcohol at that). Just looking for the bed at that point... :sigh: :zzz: I don't put myself in situations to be drinking anyway. I will have to be careful when I go to the show in Atlanta not to give into the temptation to be "normal" again...

I've never understood why people like to drink at concerts. It just dulls everything. I would rather be fully awake to be able to fully experience and remember everything.

That would be tempting indeed. Wish it were legal as I am very good at growing things... :)

Plus you have to pee all the time. I don't drink at shows. Maybe 1 beer

Plus you have to pee all the time. I don't drink at shows. Maybe 1 beer

2 or 3 beers from 5 pm on.

Of course I have 4 problems.

1- I will be in New Orleans, drinking is expected everywhere. Even walking to the show

2- There will be no driving, the 4 of us will be walking, er...stumbling all day.

3-Our tickets give us access to the Premium lounge, small lines for drinks and bathrooms.

4- Peer pressure, it actually works in New Orleans , even for an old 46 year old teenager like me

You could have removed the phrase "at concerts" and I would still agree.

• Like 2

they kill your dick too!

they kill your dick too!

Not kill but you don't feel 18 anymore that is for sure (or even 54 for that matter)... :sigh: :|
  • Like 1

as for drinking at shows, getting a buzz is fine. or not drinking. I don't dig getting shitfaced at shows, I mean it's fun but you're generally a nuisance and you miss out on things you would've liked to have seen. I went wild the first few shows I saw sans-supervision but there's really no point, especially with a band like rush where I want to pay attention.

For me being stoned at a concert is a lot worse than drinking beer. :hail:

Jesus Christ what's so bad about popping some pills to help with the pain?

And besides it's inevitable...They're going to release an album after R40 and one of them, whether it's Ged, Alex or even Neil is going to wonder "I wonder how a live crowd would react if we play that one..." That thought is going to enter ONE of their heads, whether they do something for that thought, we'll never know until then.

:facepalm:

What's so bad about popping some pills to help with the pain?

Okay.... let me answer that....

One, we all know we aren't talking about your average acetaminophen or ibuprofen. We are talking about narcotic pain killers.... oxy and such. But even if we are talking about regular OTC pain therapy, your kidneys and liver do *not* want you to use them regularly.

Two, the narcotic pain killers are actually very powerful opiates. More powerful and pure than most street opiates.

Three, those narcotic pain killers are highly addictive. *Highly* addictive... and the data shows we have as many soccer moms and dads hooked on pills as we have tweakers.

Four, those narcotic pain killers are deadly. I once had to perform CPR on a student until EMS arrived... and then told EMS to pump the students' stomach right there in the classroom. The student lived.... barely. The student, by the way, had taken a dose of run of the mill oxy, but way too much for their body size and went into full arrest.

Five, the reason people love those narcotic pain killers is not the pain killing effect. It is actually the fact that, as opiates, they create a false sense of euphoria.... making you feel like everything is fine, but really, nothing is improving.

So, yeah, let's consider all that before we suggest these guys should go Comfortably Numb in order to perform....

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 6

Just like a football player. Shoot him up, and get him on the field.

:facepalm: Right. Football players are generally half his age or less.

• Like 1

Well now they've said it. I hope this ends all of the conjecture. I've had tendinitis for the past 10 years myself on and off and I definitely can imagine Neil's pain. It makes perfect sense why they're keeping the tour short. We should just be glad we're getting this tour. They could have just ended everything at CA.

I think going out with R40 is perfect and again, I am so glad the last show is in LA. I'm sure they are logistically ending the tour there so Neil can take his motorcycle home!

Let's face it! Neil wants to be home to be a dad and a husband! I would assume that at his age his family is more important than RUSH! Especially after getting a second chance at a beautiful family!! Come on! Neil deserves a nice happy retirement.

• Like 5

I love all this free advice coming from these young persons who have no idea of what growing older truly is. Wait till you hit 40, kids.
  • Like 3

I love all this free advice coming from these young persons who have no idea of what growing older truly is. Wait till you hit 50, kids.

Fixed for some of us... :LOL:
  • Like 5

Tired of the morons who keep making excuses about why Rush could or should keep touring.

Let it go, fanboys. Nothing lasts forever. Including your youth.

VS, I agree that talk of painkillers is off the deep end. I wish Neil a happy retirement. It would be nice if he would chat publicly about it, given this is probably the end of the road for him, instead of Alex' optimistic comments about radio city or Massey. So part of the speculation here- of more Rush - is a by product of the bands communication with its fans.

If Neil is done in 89 days (WOW!), its gonna be tough seeing older vets play live gigs in the area, Billy Joel, Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, etc. Thus is the price of "athletic music!" Thank you Rush for the 27+ 2 upcoming shows I have bought tickets for!

Tired of the morons who keep making excuses about why Rush could or should keep touring.

Let it go, fanboys. Nothing lasts forever. Including your youth.

VS, I agree that talk of painkillers is off the deep end. I wish Neil a happy retirement. It would be nice if he would chat publicly about it, given this is probably the end of the road for him, instead of Alex' optimistic comments about radio city or Massey. So part of the speculation here- of more Rush - is a by product of the bands communication with its fans.

If Neil is done in 89 days (WOW!), its gonna be tough seeing older vets play live gigs in the area, Billy Joel, Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, etc. Thus is the price of "athletic music!" Thank you Rush for the 27+ 2 upcoming shows I have bought tickets for!

You know that he won't talk about it, though. :)

I think Alex is just allowing for the possibility, the 'never say never' attitude, which is wise. They don't want to proclaim outright they're retiring because they're allowing for some small flexibility in appearing in public as a band again.

I see the older vets all the time...seeing the Stones, Aerosmith, Van Halen, and the Scorpions this year as well as Rush. I would respectfully submit that those outfits, legendary as they are, are NOT the tightest live power trio in the history of rock. :)

And being at that level of musicianship...takes a toll. Especially on the greatest drummer in the history of rock and roll. :)

• Like 1

Think of it this way. Neil is the locomotive that pulls the train. Physically, he has to work much harder than the other two guys when he plays.
  • Like 3

Could be worse, look at Bill Ward.

Could be REAL worse.

John Bonham, Clive Burr, Keith Moon, etc.

Be thankful he is here.

• Like 2

Could be worse, look at Bill Ward.

Could be REAL worse.

John Bonham, Clive Burr, Keith Moon, etc.

Be thankful he is here.

It could be raining!

Yes, being alive is preferable.