"Peart pain is part of Rush road 'retirement'

antiquark

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-04-29/rush-neil-peart-tendonitis-tour-retirement

"

Alex Lifeson reveals drummer’s chronic tendonitis contributed to “final tour” decision – and considers possibility of writing soundtracks with Geddy Lee

Alex Lifeson has revealed Rush drummer Neil Peart has chronic tendonitis – and it’s a contributing factor in their decision to end large-scale touring.

Peart has mentioned the condition before, and his bandmates have previously said the physical nature of his performance makes it challenging to continue into his 60s.

The Canadian giants recently announced their upcoming North American tour was likely to be the last of its kind.

Lifeson tells Global News: “I have mixed feelings about it. In one way I feel relief – I think 40 years is a long time to be touring the way we tour.

“I still love playing. But in Neil’s case, for example, his job is really tough. Playing the way he does is very, very difficult on his body. He has chronic tendonitis in his arms and he’s had problems with his shoulders.

“It’s getting to the point, no matter how much we love doing it, that it’s much more demanding and much more difficult.”

Lifeson has been rehearsing up to four hours a day ahead of weeks of full band rehearsals and a week of full production performances before the tour.

He says: “We rehearse ourselves to death. But it’s worth it. You hit the stage on that first night and you feel like you’ve already been playing for a month.”

And the guitarist believes there’s more to come when the tour ends – even if it’s just from Geddy Lee and him. He says: “Ged and I are just itching to get back into writing, for whatever purpose. We’ve always talked about doing some soundtrack work.

“Neil wants to take time off and spend more time with his daughter. He’d like to be more connected to his home life. I don’t blame the guy.”

Lee said in February: “We have to slow down, and slow down dramatically” – but added that he could see a future for the band in a lower-key format.

Let the mourning period begin. Thanks to them for all of the memories and inspiration over the past 35 years for me.
  • Like 7

Yet, that won't stop him one second from riding his %$#% motorcycle all over the country, with his Mall Cop Buddy, which he already has started advertising all over....... If you're hurting so much, save it for the show... THAT"s what we pay our tickets for!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 4

With the stripped down drum kit, does anyone think we will get some 'easy' songs for Neil to play?

I mean no Rush songs are easy, but some seem Easier than others.

Entre Nous, Bravado, Closer to the Heart come to mind.

• Like 1

Yet, that won't stop him one second from riding his %$#% motorcycle all over the country, with his Mall Cop Buddy, which he already has started advertising all over....... If you're hurting so much, save it for the show... THAT"s what we pay our tickets for!!!!!!!!!!!

Well his motorcycle trips don't take 3 whole months do they?

• Like 1

Do you think riding a motorcycle affects his arms and shoulders the way 40+ years of heavy drumming has?

• Like 7

Do you think riding a motorcycle affects his arms and shoulders the way 40+ years of heavy drumming has?

Not sure we would like a Neil who flew to each gig.

He's be going through a bottle of Macallan every 2 days by show # 4 being so bored.

• Like 4

Neil is 62 years old. If he wants to spend his time on his bike, or spend time with his wife and young daughter, or however else he wants to spend his time- he has earned that. And he certainly doesn't need to justify anything to us.

I've loved this band for more than 35 years. And I know there are those who haven't gotten to enjoy them for nearly that long. If you are a new fan, just within the past couple of years, I truly feel for you- I'm sure we would all like, in a perfect world, in a vacuum, for there to be so much more time and energy ahead for them than there is. But this upcoming tour will be the last for Rush as we know them.

I still look forward to whatever may lie ahead- even though I know it will be different.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 24

I've said before in other threads...drumming hurts! At my current age (51) if I play for any length of time everything hurts....I can only imagine what Neil feels like at his age, and after playing a night of Rush music! Just be glad we had the last 12 years!

Get OFF off the motorcycle thing, I doubt that hurts as much as slamming the crap out of a f*cking snare drum all night long!

• Like 12

As someone who once played a doctor in a Neil Simon comedy I'm comfortable making a similar diagnosis that Supersyl made even without seeing the patient.

Where is the rolling eyes emoticon?

• Like 1

As someone who once played a doctor in a Neil Simon comedy I'm comfortable making a similar diagnosis that Supersyl made even without seeing the patient.

Where is the rolling eyes emoticon?

:eyeroll:

• Like 1

Painkillers exist for a reason....Just sayin'

Just speaking from the perspective of being old and having similar and in some cases worse problems... It ain't that simple. Wish it were... :codger:
  • Like 10

Painkillers exist for a reason....Just sayin'

Yeah just give Neil a few oxy before the show lol good as new! Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

:facepalm:

• Like 2

Well now they've said it. I hope this ends all of the conjecture. I've had tendinitis for the past 10 years myself on and off and I definitely can imagine Neil's pain. It makes perfect sense why they're keeping the tour short. We should just be glad we're getting this tour. They could have just ended everything at CA.
  • Like 7

Just another "leak" that this is the last tour. Yep, this is it. Grab your tickets and merchandise while u can, folks!!! Whoooooooooo, scary, kids!!

[CountFloyd.jpeg]

All of u who buy into this are complete and utter sheeple. Bottom line is if there's a big enough financial incentive for them to do it, they will find a way.

Just another "leak" that this is the last tour. Yep, this is it. Grab your tickets and merchandise while u can, folks!!! Whoooooooooo, scary, kids!!

[CountFloyd.jpeg]

All of u who buy into this are complete and utter sheeple. Bottom line is if there's a big enough financial incentive for them to do it, they will find a way.

You are SO jealous. :LOL:

[CountFloyd.jpeg]

Why would anyone buy that? Even I am not that naive. I just want to see them again and may never get another chance and not because they won't be touring again at some level in the future...
  • Like 6

With the stripped down drum kit, does anyone think we will get some 'easy' songs for Neil to play?

I mean no Rush songs are easy, but some seem Easier than others.

Entre Nous, Bravado, Closer to the Heart come to mind.

They're focusing on songs that don't require an electric kit

• Like 1

[CountFloyd.jpeg]

Why would anyone buy that? Even I am not that naive. I just want to see them again and may never get another chance and not because they won't be touring again at some level in the future...

Sheeple!!!!!!

• Like 1