True Or False! Steve Rothery's Guitar Solo On "The Web" Is One Of The Greatest Solos Ever Made!

RUSHHEAD666

The Greatness Of Steve Rothery!   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Steve's Guitar Solo On "The Web" Is One Of The Greatest Solos Ever Made!

• TRUE! Steve is a guitar genius!
    • FALSE! Hell no! Steve is overrated and overweight!

Hogarth can really make some of those bended notes sing . . . he does this this thing that's just on the verge of being a pinch harmonic, along with a fast vibrato at the top of the bended note. It's very distinctive.

he's got lizard skin face paint, he's wearing like, a f***ing potato sack or some shit that's supposed to be a "jester" outfit I guess

he also tears up some fake houseplant for some reason

• Like 3

if anyone's seen recital of the script its got the best version of THE WEB out there

fish looks pretty gay but it's great stuff

f**k B! I just had to put "Recital" on my iPhone. I listened to it all day in my car. FUCKKING EPIC!

• Like 1

he's got lizard skin face paint, he's wearing like, a f***ing potato sack or some shit that's supposed to be a "jester" outfit I guess

he also tears up some fake houseplant for some reason

I will always love FISH no matter what. One of the funniest fun fuckerss in the world to hang with.

• Like 1

Well there are plenty of Hogarth fans who will be along shortly to disagree with you, but I think we can agree about old Rothers - he's right up there. And versatile too - you may not like the later stuff, but he still plays beautifully on it all.

Hahaha! Oh no doubt! I just told one of my female buddies that I wrote a few threads about my disgust with "H." She was not thrilled. She told me that she loves BOTH!

Don't get me wrong, I still buy every Marillion album that comes out but man it's hard for be to tune out MR EGO H.

JMO

He was such a dick when I met him. You see I met Portnoy too and he was the same way. These short little men with greasy black hair. Napoleon Complex I guess.

It is what it is.

I have a gift for you, Earl...Marillion (with Hogarth) and Dream Theater playing together:

Hahahahaha! Thank you my brother from another mother! I have seen this video!! HAHA!! ROTHERY RULES!!!!!!!!! H AND MP SUCK! LOL!

TED who?

Ted Leonard, the lead vocalist of Enchant.

As a matter of fact I do know Ted. Doug Ott is my very close friend.

I am also very close to Paul Craddick. The original drummer of Enchant. Paul is one of the greatest drummers on the planet. He wrote and played everything on his ROCKET MOTH cd. His beautiful wife Hannah who is also on some Wishing Tree albums is his singer.

So great.

I am also friends with Tom Size. Tom is the producer of that Thought Chamber album. Tom also produced Y&T albums.

Yep, it's a very small world here in the Bay Area but I love everyone involved.

I missed my fuckking calling as a drummer but I have been blessed with knowing great people in the music industry.

MARILYNN RULES! FUKK THE HATERS!!!

Sorry for being so vulgar. I prefer to be a nice guy by my personal life sucks ass.

God I love "Garden Party." Watching "Recital" on dvd.

FISH is not a copy cat. He is his own amazing entity. JMO

I'm not at all familiar with Hogarth era Marillion so won't comment on the relative merits of Fish and H. The guitar solo on The Web grabbed my attention when I first heard it in 1983 and it still sounds amazing today. As to whether Rothery is a guitar genius - probably. He may not the most versatile, but he does what he does brilliantly. I've also been listening to his solo instrumental album The Ghosts of Pripyat - sublimely beautiful guitar work.
  • Like 1

Steve Howe? Steve Morse? Steve Vai? Steve Rothery?

ROTHERY

Judging by his incredible weight gain in the last few years, I'd call him Steve Rotisserie instead.

• Like 3

Steve Howe? Steve Morse? Steve Vai? Steve Rothery?

ROTHERY

Judging by his incredible weight gain in the last few years, I'd call him Steve Rotisserie instead.

ROD!! THIS IS ONE OF YOUR BEST!!!!!! SERIOUSLY MAN!! FUKKING EPIC! I know it's a cliche but I almost spit out my Shock Top all over my Mac.

• Like 1

Ian's a great drummer but he really has been utilizing the same bag of tricks for about 20 years now. Time to shake up the playing and get interesting again!

I totally agree! Jesus! Every drum fill and hi-hat accent is the same on every song! Love his China Boy though!

the music is hard to work with, I'm sure. if everyone around you is boring what can you do?

No fuckingg shit. I hate "H!" He took over control of the band and even told Rothey to play less.

Marillion was one of the greatest bands in the world. Now it is shit.

They should change the name to "HARILLION." Seriously. I still get the Marillion newsletter. It's always signed by "H" and then the rest of the guys.

He has an EGO the size of the fuckking TITANIC. Hopefully he will sink too.

• Like 1

the music is hard to work with, I'm sure. if everyone around you is boring what can you do?

No fuckingg shit. I hate "H!" He took over control of the band and even told Rothey to play less.

They should change the name to "HARILLION." Seriously. I still get the Marillion newsletter. It's always signed by "H" and then the rest of the guys.

Not needed; he actually never surfaced from the abyss of mediocrity.....

• Like 2

Not needed; he actually never surfaced from the abyss of mediocrity.....

Hahaha!!!! Well stated my friend!! EXCELLENT!

• Like 1