Alex: "If This Is The Last Major Tour That We Do, I Want To Go Out With Flying Colors"

zappafrank

I have such mixed feelings about it. In one way, I feel relief. I think that 40 years is a long time to be touring the way we tour. I really like being home with my grandkids. At 61, I don’t feel there’s anything we need to prove.

I still love playing. But in (drummer) Neil (Peart)’s case, for example, his job is really tough. Playing the way he does is very, very difficult on his body. He has chronic tendonitis in his arms and he’s had problems with his shoulders.

It’s just getting to the point, no matter how much we love doing it, that it’s much more demanding and much more difficult.

I’ve always hated the idea of being one of those guys who’s just up there, old and barely able to move — just doing it for fear of not doing it, or not making an extra buck or whatever.

If this is the last major tour that we do, (I want to) go out with flying colours, where everybody remembers the show they went to as the best Rush they’ve (seen).

They are not stupid men. They know. At least they aren't blind to reality.

• Like 4

Well, we’re not finished as a band. We still talk about recording.

Who knows, there may be an opportunity in the future to do not a big tour, but a series of concerts … like a week in Massey Hall or Radio City Music Hall.

Can you imagine a week of concerts at either location? That would be wonderful!

ReGor, you'd be in heaven! :wub:

• Like 3

Who knows, there may be an opportunity in the future to do not a big tour, but a series of concerts … like a week in Massey Hall or Radio City Music Hall.

if they did that.....that might coax me out one more time, lol

Week at radio city....i could go for that.

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

So could I! That would be wonderful!!

It's not that big of a place either, and a lot more manageable than MSG.

• Like 2

Mick

And the acoustics are SO much better at Radio City.

• Like 3

Mick

And the acoustics are SO much better at Radio City.

That they are.

Mick

Sounds like they all have some sort of physical ailments and that's not really surprising considering how hard they've toured in the past. Just reaching 50 or 60 most people have some sort of chronic thing going on. Alex has his psoriatic arthritis and Geddy has shoulder problems.
  • Like 1

Sounds like they all have some sort of physical ailments and that's not really surprising considering how hard they've toured in the past. Just reaching 50 or 60 most people have some sort of chronic thing going on. Alex has his psoriatic arthritis and Geddy has shoulder problems.

I didn't know Geddy has shoulder problems, but that would make sense that he would.

Do you have shoulder problems?

Who knows, there may be an opportunity in the future to do not a big tour, but a series of concerts...or Radio City Music Hall.

YES! Oh yes that would be great. I can relax now. I can take off this diaper now. I may even post less here now knowing the end is not nigh.

My wife and I just saw Neil Diamond this past weekend, a bucket list thing. He was great at 74 years old, in shape full of energy. Of course playing an acoustic guitar for three songs in not akin to what the boys do for two hours.

I didn't know Geddy has shoulder problems, but that would make sense that he would.

Yes. Neck, shoulder, upper and lower back. A lot of it is from playing bass.

Why do we have to get old? :sigh:

Why do we have to get old? :sigh:

Yeah it sucks. :(

• Like 1

Summer's going fast, nights growing colder

Children growing up, old friends growing older

Freeze this moment a little bit longer

Make each sensation a little bit stronger

Experience slips away

Experience slips away...

The innocence slips away

How many years ago was this song written?

• Like 1

Summer's going fast, nights growing colder

Children growing up, old friends growing older

Freeze this moment a little bit longer

Make each sensation a little bit stronger

Experience slips away

Experience slips away...

The innocence slips away

How many years ago was this song written?

Nearly thirty!

:codger:

• Like 3

Someone on TRF has been raving about their best Rush concert, R30 at Radio City, immersed in the laser and completely inundated in the light show. And excellent sound also. How in the balcony you are only 25 or so rows from the stage, yet above the stage and in their light show. Wonder who that person was, hmmm.

Glad to know Alex has been following along on TRF ;)

Howdy all.

• Like 1

I'd be fine with Flying Colors supporting Rush on tour. They're a pretty good band.

Yeah, I know that's not what he was meaning :unsure:

• Like 2

I'd be fine with Flying Colors supporting Rush on tour. They're a pretty good band.

Yeah, I know that's not what he was meaning :unsure:

;)

The weeklong stands sound like not a bad idea, but I always thought the next best step for them in slowing down would be to start playing festivals.

Considering that festivals are one off gigs, they can schedule a couple a year, and have their stage set in storage in between them. They wouldn't be exhausted by them due to their one off nature, and the time restraints of festivals would give them a legitimate excuse to play a shorter set. Sure they wouldent fit in at the trendy festivals like Coachella, but they would fit right in at Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, and Summerfest. Not to mention the Ottawa Blues Fest which they have played a couple of times already. Heck, they even tested a few festivals out on the CA tour to see how they like the shortened set feel.