New R40 Les Paul announced

elvtnedge

Yes for me. And you apperantly. Who said it's a universal truth? The only ones who think this is a good idea are guitar manufacturers.

You and your absolutes. ;)

What the f*** ever. Seems like a stick up your ass, not mine.

I noticed that they are using the 496 and 498 pickups...gah, those are sterile and harsh sounding. I had them in my Gibson and swapped them out. in a day and age where bassoons, violins, and classical guitars require mortgages, 10k is not outrageous for an instrument....production model gibby? Maybe too much by more than half.

That's what Alex uses on his. I have no experience with them personally. My Lester came with BurstBuckers which I didn't like (especially the neck) so I put in 57 Classics after trying some Seymour 59s which were kind of dark and muddy.

Yes for me. And you apperantly. Who said it's a universal truth? The only ones who think this is a good idea are guitar manufacturers.

You and your absolutes. ;)

What the f*** ever. Seems like a stick up your ass, not mine.

No need to be insulting.

Who's being insulting? You have a stick up your ass about what I write plain and simple. That is not an insult. You admit you wouldn't spend $10k on this guitar yet when I say it I am being absolute. Double standard. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Who's being insulting? You have a stick up your ass about what I write plain and simple. That is not an insult. You admit you wouldn't spend $10k on this guitar yet when I say it I am being absolute. Double standard.

You may have misunderstood me.

I didn't say that you saying you won't drop the $10k on the guitar is you being absolute.

The absolute you uttered was when you said, "The only ones who think this is a good idea are guitar manufacturers."

• Like 1

I'd rather have a Les Paul Custom.

http://www.mansons.co.uk/userfiles/shop/products/additional/large/large_90EF6AD6-E7BD-5896-F696C04A992A54FE.png

or maybe this one:

http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Goldtop-VOS/Gallery-Images/LPR7VOAGNH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

Oh wait! I already have that one :D :ebert: :guitar:

• Like 1

Who's being insulting? You have a stick up your ass about what I write plain and simple. That is not an insult. You admit you wouldn't spend $10k on this guitar yet when I say it I am being absolute. Double standard.

I didn't say that you saying you won't drop the $10k on the guitar is you being absolute.

The absolute you uttered was when you said, "The only ones who think this is a good idea are guitar manufacturers."

I know exactly what you mean. Either way you have a problem with what I write. The only ones who think this is a good idea are the ones who stand to profit from marketing. Gullible consumers with too much money will spend it, that doesn't mean they think it's a good idea. They think "I should buy that..."

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

http://www.mansons.co.uk/userfiles/shop/products/additional/large/large_90EF6AD6-E7BD-5896-F696C04A992A54FE.png

or maybe this one:

http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Goldtop-VOS/Gallery-Images/LPR7VOAGNH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

But you can't see the wood grain on those.... Not that they aren't nice.

I know exactly what you mean. Either way you have a problem with what I write. The only ones who think this is a good idea are the ones who stand to profit from marketing. Gullible consumers with too much money will spend it, that doesn't mean they think it's a good idea. They think "I should buy that..."

How do you know that?

Because every time I've written on this subject

I know exactly what you mean. Either way you have a problem with what I write.

How do you know that?

Because of your pointed responses.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

How do you know that?

You misunderstand me again. How do you know consumers who buy the guitar don't think it's a good idea?

How do you know that?

You misunderstand me again. How do you know consumers who buy the guitar don't think it's a good idea?

I knew what you meant. I think consumers will spend the money because they want something that's like what Alex plays. It's funny how the mind works but a lot of times people think that if something is expensive it has to be good. People would be complaining if it were cheaper because in all likelihood it would be made overseas to keep costs down.

I didn't misunderstand you. I deliberately wrote what I wrote to annoy you because you want to be annoyed, particularly by me in this section (You have a certain reputation elsewhere on the board already from what I've been told).

I have an understanding of the used and vintage market. Guitar Collectors will not buy a guitar like this because to them guitars are an investment with specific criteria for purchase with expectation of higher returns in the future. This guitar does not meet those specs, mostly because it is a recent release but also because this is not considered a prized piece. The Alex guitars are made for Rush fans with too much money who do not participate in the Collector sphere. It is a marketing ploy. Guitar collectors will not spend large amounts of money for guitars made after or between certain dates buy certain manufacturers. It has a lot to do with woods, finishes, electronics and who worked at what factory and when. The Alex Lifeson Les Pauls sold to the public are marketing ploys. So are the Ace Frehley, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, and whomever is known for playing a Les Paul who Gibson have signed to an endorsement deal. They are not sought after collectables to any one but fans of that player. The Eric Clapton guitars are excellent examples of this. They will not retain value. The reason vintage Les Pauls are so sought after is because there were only a couple thousand made in the 50's and they've been trying to reproduce them ever since. The Alex guitars are nowhere near that.

It's perceived market value on the future vintage market. For example the first round of Al Axcess guitars are being resold for $2500-$3500... just under what they originally sold for.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

That was the longest "I don't know" I think I've ever seen! Edited by JARG

Again, what the f*** ever. You obviously just have some beef for what ever reason. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

or maybe this one:

But you can't see the wood grain on those.... Not that they aren't nice.

I really like the Gold Tops. I have a patent pending gold top Peavey Wolfgang. I could have got a transparent top but I thought the gold top was the best looking model with the maple top.

Even if I played much more and was a much better player, I think I'd stick to guitars that were cheaper than most of my cars.

For that price it should include Al's sperm speciman for reproduction.

Meh...I'm more than happy with my beat up Norlin.

You should be, that's a nice piece!

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ever since Gibson stitched me up with a half finished 355 (yep, that "Inspired by" one) I have vowed not to by a new one from them again.

And as much as I worship Lifeson and hold him in great regard for his playing, this all seems to be a big money spinning racket now, and I find that very, very off putting and corporate.

Rush seem intent on just maxxing out revenue these days, Lifeson way more than the Lee or Peart. Very disappointing, and I wont be buying.

L3rxst

I wish Alex and Gibson (or Epiphone ) who make a Working Man's verson of this for us poor guitar players for around $2,000.00.

Well, you could do it yourself . . .

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard-Plustop-PRO.aspx ($450)

+

http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-detail/pn-0080-c0-ghost-lb63-floyd-rose-style-bridge---chrome?id=d38d9e98-0c8a-44db-93ee-19ef29cd030a ($260)

+

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost/product-detail/pe-0240-00-ghost-acousti-phonic-preamp-kit-for-guitar-(basic)?id=f3e5b52a-2f4b-4086-800e-56e990a16102 ($65)

+

Print the Starman R40 medallion on your inkjet ($3)

+

Luthier to put it all together ($375)

+

Hunt Alex down; force him at gunpoint to sign headstock ($5 - 2 years in jail)

=

$1033.00 and potential criminal record