The Depression thread

fraroc

There seems to as many depression threads around here as polls. I am up for another poll btw Lorraine before I get depressed or something... :) :rose:

We should have a poll rating our depression on a scale of 1-10

Do you really want to be depressed that your depression isn't as bad as, or worse than, everyone else's?

Dude, I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

If I have to mentally rank all of our collective ratings for how depressed we are, I WILL!

I organize everything...chronologically, size or colour (and then by shade/texture/sheen). (I never rank in alphabetical order, letters should be jumbled, it makes no sense why the vowels are not altogether anyway, and I want X and Z next to each other because they look like good friends!! Y looks ok, but I always feel it looks more like an A so I believe it should be a vowel. Although I do like that all the vowels can be counted on one hand...).

Serious question: Do you have a job?

Yes I do.

I never understood depression until my wife went through it. I felt so bad for her and tried to help as much as I could. One of my biggest gripes was that when she would take the medicine that was prescribed to her, she was so much better. She was her usual, creative caring self. But due to the side effects, (weight gain & RLS specifically) she would go for months without taking her meds.

I miss my wife. She was very sick and she passed early December last year. The depression contributed to her unwillingness to go to the doctor to get the treatment that she needed.

I never understood depression until my wife went through it. I felt so bad for her and tried to help as much as I could. One of my biggest gripes was that when she would take the medicine that was prescribed to her, she was so much better. She was her usual, creative caring self. But due to the side effects, (weight gain & RLS specifically) she would go for months without taking her meds.

I miss my wife. She was very sick and she passed early December last year. The depression contributed to her unwillingness to go to the doctor to get the treatment that she needed.

:( :hug2: .... So sorry
  • Like 1

I'm so very sorry. :hug2:

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear this. :hug2:

• Like 1

I'm very sorry :(

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to read this. You did what you could do...we know you did!

• Like 3

I'm sorry to hear this- depression is so insidious and difficult, it's really hard. It's been in our family, too, and I'm so sorry it contributed to your loss. It sounds like you were a great support to your wife-you will be in my thoughts and I wish you peace. :rose:

• Like 4

You have my deepest sympathy. :rose:

My sister and I were as close as two siblings could be. And your description of your wife sounds very similar to what my sister went through- the weight gain and other physical side effects. She had issues with clinical depression starting in adolescence, all the way through her adulthood. Self-mutilation, manic episodes...she had other issues with chemical dependency as well, which made medication rather tricky. And when she wasn't working and didn't have health insurance, she would still get her meds through other means- black market style (and in that case, do you really know what you're getting at all?). I didn't find that out until shortly before she died, but I also knew it was not something I could talk her out of doing, so to speak. She died in October of 2008, at the age of 38.

I don't mean to continue the path of this thread in a more and more depressing direction. But what happened to my sister is what causes me to take everyone's stories and situations seriously and compassionately.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

My condolences. Depression is such a *itch.

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the condolences. Sure is nice to have the support.

I find myself wanting to tell everyone that depression is a real sickness and that it should not be dismissed as easily as it is. I was the biggest offender. "What do you mean your depressed? You have a nice house, a car, loving family you don't have to work etc. What is there to be depressed about?". That was the old me. I'm generally a happy go luck person with a sick sense of humor that I often share at inappropriate times :) so it was hard to understand at first. All of you who are going through depression have my sympathy and I hope you STAY ON YOUR MEDS! and see your doctor regularly.

Thanks again.

Edited by rushfanNlv
  • Like 5

I find myself wanting to tell everyone that depression is a real sickness and that it should not be dismissed as easily as it is. I was the biggest offender. "What do you mean your depressed? You have a nice house, a car, loving family you don't have to work etc. What is there to be depressed about?". That was the old me. I'm generally a happy go luck person with a sick sense of humor that I often share at inappropriate times :) so it was hard to understand at first. All of you who are going through depression have my sympathy and I hope you STAY ON YOUR MEDS! and see your doctor regularly.

Sadly, depression transcends common sense. It is a very real chemical imbalance that doesn't care how much money you have or how nice your house is. Depression is that little devil on your shoulder telling you how horrible life is and how much it sucks and that you deserve to be miserable. But luckily medication is one way to shut up that little devil and you need to keep taking it.

• Like 3

But luckily medication is one way to shut up that little devil and you need to keep taking it.

Perhaps MORE important than ANYTHING though, is to surround yourself with community, friends, people. This tends to be the best medicine.

• Like 4

I have had my bouts here and there - especially after i was given a diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis last year. - that hit me pretty hard (the two go hand in hand quite often).

I've never felt the need for medication for it, though BUT i don't feel it was severe enough to need it . most of the time it was time, space, music, meditation, and dietary changes that got me through.

First and foremost - You Are Not Alone.

Second - I hold space for all of you. My prayer every day for you is this:

May they be free from suffering and the root of suffering. May they enjoy happiness and the root of happiness.

~Aho...

• Like 3

But luckily medication is one way to shut up that little devil and you need to keep taking it.

Perhaps MORE important than ANYTHING though, is to surround yourself with community, friends, people. This tends to be the best medicine.

That is true. To stay wrapped up in one's own head is just about the worst thing that can happen.

The fear of community can be over-powering. But to be able to take some initial steps; to be able to make oneself a part of, rather than apart from...it's really, really important.

• Like 1

That is true. To stay wrapped up in one's own head is just about the worst thing that can happen.

The fear of community can be over-powering. But to be able to take some initial steps; to be able to make oneself a part of, rather than apart from...it's really, really important.

Friends suffering from chronic depression have said it can be so difficult to be social, so hard to maintain connections with existing friends, let alone attempt to go out and make new ones :(

Friends suffering from chronic depression have said it can be so difficult to be social, so hard to maintain connections with existing friends, let alone attempt to go out and make new ones :(

Oh, I know...and I understand that, completely. I have been in that position myself. I only meant that it's very important to be able to conquer that fear. I know there are a lot of cases where that doesn't happen.

• Like 1

You have my deepest sympathy. :rose:

My sister and I were as close as two siblings could be. And your description of your wife sounds very similar to what my sister went through- the weight gain and other physical side effects. She had issues with clinical depression starting in adolescence, all the way through her adulthood. Self-mutilation, manic episodes...she had other issues with chemical dependency as well, which made medication rather tricky. And when she wasn't working and didn't have health insurance, she would still get her meds through other means- black market style (and in that case, do you really know what you're getting at all?). I didn't find that out until shortly before she died, but I also knew it was not something I could talk her out of doing, so to speak. She died in October of 2008, at the age of 38.

I don't mean to continue the path of this thread in a more and more depressing direction. But what happened to my sister is what causes me to take everyone's stories and situations seriously and compassionately.

I have known individuals who have faced this.

My mum was almost senile with depression (correction: she is). So bad was her condition, my birth country of South Africa lacked the proper health care options, so we had to leave the country and came back to my dads home country: The UK. Here, she found th right sort of help that kept her out of a mental home.

Growing up in my household was very strange, and sadly I have inherited many of my mothers problems. Fortunately, I was treated from a much younger age in an era where issues of depression are understood better.

The fortunate thing for me is that, underneath it all, I am a very positive person. That gets me through the darkness. Sadly, my mum, like many others, has fought constant negativity, her battle waged solely from within. I wish the US had healthcare like the UK. The NHS is not perfecct by any means, but for all the complaints the Brits have against it, we are spoiled compared to the US.

• Like 3

There's a long history of mental illness in my family...schizophrenia, depression, mania, compulsive disorder. I've generally been spared in terms of my own mental health. For that I am thankful. Of course, I still carry the weight of having grown up in that environment.
  • Like 3

There's a long history of mental illness in my family...schizophrenia, depression, mania, compulsive disorder. I've generally been spared in terms of my own mental health. For that I am thankful. Of course, I still carry the weight of having grown up in that environment.

The first two you list are on my mother's side. It's just sad to see what it does to people and to feel so helpless in that you can't seem to do anything to make things better for them. I do have some issues that I battle with myself, but it's not to the extreme that some family members have suffered.

• Like 1

The first two you list are on my mother's side. It's just sad to see what it does to people and to feel so helpless in that you can't seem to do anything to make things better for them. I do have some issues that I battle with myself, but it's not to the extreme that some family members have suffered.

I think everyone struggles a bit through life. But I feel lucky that I've never really had to battle anything that felt overpowering.
  • Like 2

Somebody please convince me to keep on going. I'm nearing the end of my rope, seriously. Classic rock music has always played a significant role in keeping my enjoyment in life and seeing all these bands live is what gives me tons of enjoyment, no matter what mood I'm in. With all of my favorite bands getting older and nearing the age of retirement, there will literally be nothing left by the year 2025. There will be absolutely zero bands still out there to enjoy and I seriously can't face what the rest of my life will be without Rush, Van Halen, KISS and all those kickass bands. And before you say "the music will always be there" THE MUSIC IS NOT ENOUGH, part of the enjoyment of loving a band is seeing them in concert. As an adult, me and the next generation of classic rock fans will have absolutely nothing left. Absolutley f***ing NOTHING, a complete void of good music. How can I live with that?

Why not put myself out of my misery?

Sorry to hear that. :(

• Like 1