Favourite Rush Song

RushianRoulette

Probably a post that has been battered to death with over usage, but I'm curious to hear answers, so here goes it.

There's a new law that restricts everyone to have one Rush song to listen to, their favourite one.

Without any smart answers here, what's your favourite Rush song, (the one you choose) and why?

After long deliberation and vacillation, mine is Presto, because it's my favourite Rush song and I never get sick of listening to it no matter how many times it comes on shuffle. It's hard though!!

• Like 1

Cygnus X-1, books 1 and 2, because that's really all one song, right?! I've always loved this whole piece. I love the story, the epic-ness of it, the music, the vocals.

If I can't get away with that then I would choose The Spirit of Radio. It was one of the first songs I heard from Rush back in 1980, all aspects of the song are incredible, and it so aptly describes the state of commercial radio and radio used to mean a lot to me. (This song may have helped me decide that working in commercial radio would have been a soulless job, so I later went to work in college radio, which was everything I wanted from radio except the paycheck :P )

• Like 3

Ggggrrr...

BUT DIFFERENT ERAS OF RUSH ARE LIKE DIFFERENT BANDS!

70's: I have to go with, erm...Bastille Day...or Xanadu

80's: CHAIN LIGHTNING

90's: Cold Fire

00's: Nocturne

Well, a top ten would feature no music of Rush from RTB onwards, so...

Ok...Xanachainstille it is.

No LVS?? Huh, wha...immma lost?,!?!

We'll let me walk up to the podium then....

LVS.

Gabriel out.

(That's my old cats name ;) )

Ok...if someone held a gun to my head...I would probably say Xanadu.

I played it today and I just melted...one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard, and for whatever reason it really stood out today as i played AFTK (moreso than normal).

• Like 2

Freewill.

The way Alex opens the song does it for me.

Also, all three of them kill it in the middle instrumental part.

Cyguns X1

As close to "cinematic" as a musical composition can get ..

.. and Geddy's voice - I love it

I agree %1000

Well said

• Like 1

Cygnus X-1, books 1 and 2, because that's really all one song, right?! I've always loved this whole piece. I love the story, the epic-ness of it, the music, the vocals.

You totally got away with it. Nuff said... :)
  • Like 1

Red Barchetta.

While I love Xanadu,Hemispheres,Natural Science,Free will and all the later day stuff like Presto,Nobody's Hero,Earthshine, RB holds a balance between the two main eras.I feel there is a distinct camp that feel that Moving Pictures is the last great Rush album and its downhill from there.Back to subject,i am a person to listen to music first, lyrics later,but this is one song which got me in with both.And the music builds with the lyrics.I remember I first had Moving Pictures on cassette and I had an Australian Valiant Charger E38(a very fast muscle car)and gunning it when Alex's solo came on through my mega car stereo.And then 'a gleaming alloy air car came into view.And yes I was sober but high on the music.Along with Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow Rising those tapes lived in my car stereo in the early eighties.

• Like 3

Red Barchetta. Toss up with Xanadu but today I'll say RB. Hard leaving any of the second side of Hemi behind though.
  • Like 1