Unplanned meetings with Rush

Christo

Neil comes to my house for dinner every Sunday night.

Last night was a pretty eventful get-together- I scorched the steaks a little too severely for anyone's tastes...he drank all the Fresca I had, insulted my drum kit, and took off.

Later he called and apologized, though. Said the thought of touring again is really getting to him.

• Like 5

I was walking back to my hotel in Halifax in 2013 the day between their two shows there and happened upon Geddy and Alex walking near my hotel. It was about midnight or so.

I recognized them from the back about ten feet away but my brain was trying to tell me that it wasn't possible it was actually them.

I caught up with them and said Hi and told them how much I appreciated their music and how much it had meant to me. They both thanked me and continued on their way...by this time we were in front of my hotel down at the waterfront.

It never dawned on me how noctournal being on a tour like that would make you. After all, you play in the evening until late, and then it takes time to decompress and "come down". It wouldn't be unusual for them to be up and kicking around half the night, same as anyone else with an afternoon or evening job. It was food for thought after the fact if nothing else.

That was a pretty cool experience overall, and I'm happy I got a chance to meet them briefly and thank them like taht. As a Rush fan, is there anything else you would really want the chance to do in their presence?

On my way out of town the day after the second show I also ran into Gump at the airport. Got to say hi to him as well, which was also pretty cool.

Edited by Brava Doh!
  • Like 7

I was walking back to my hotel in Halifax in 2013 the day between their two shows there and happened upon Geddy and Alex walking near my hotel. It was about midnight or so.

I recognized them from the back about ten feet away but my brain was trying to tell me that it wasn't possible it was actually them.

I caught up with them and said Hi and told them how much I appreciated their music and how much it had meant to me. They both thanked me and continued on their way...by this time we were in front of my hotel down at the waterfront.

It never dawned on me how noctournal being on a tour like that would make you. After all, you play in the evening until late, and then it takes time to decompress and "come down". It wouldn't be unusual for them to be up and kicking around half the night, same as anyone else with an afternoon or evening job. It was food for thought after the fact if nothing else.

That was a pretty cool experience overall, and I'm happy I got a chance to meet them briefly and thank them like taht. As a Rush fan, is there anything else you would really want the chance to do in their presence?

On my way out of town the day after the second show I also ran into Gump at the airport. Got to say hi to him as well, which was also pretty cool.

Did Neil seem at all irritated by your presence?

I would say the same thing to them as you did. Unfortunately, it sounds like they have heard it so many times that it no longer means anything to them.

If they only knew what their music has done for not a few fans. Sometimes I don't think they fully comprehend it.

• Like 1

I run into them often in my dreams. In fact, we are all very good friends. They consult me about everything.

Do you live in Colorado by any chance?

I would say the same thing to them as you did. Unfortunately, it sounds like they have heard it so many times that it no longer means anything to them.

If they only knew what their music has done for not a few fans. Sometimes I don't think they fully comprehend it.

I dunno, there wasn't much more for them to say besides "Thank You", and it wasn't said in a way that made me think they were shooting a rolleyes smiley at me in their brains while doing it.

I was just happy I had the presence of mind to tell them that on such a chance meeting.

At the 1984 Philly show, my friend and I were sitting in my van right near the loading ramp at the Spectrum. A gold limo with darkened windows pulled up, and went down the ramp We thought it was PROBABLY carrying Rush in it We waved just in case they were looking, no one opened a window and waved but who knows what they did behind the window (flipped us off) ...next there was a passenger van with whom we thought was probably Y&T the opening act. So we waved at them and they waved back. So we were sort of stoked that we got to see the bands pull up. A few minutes later we see two guys on bikes riding by, and go down the ramp...And didn't really give it TOO much thought (Until I read Visions, and then realized that it was Neil and B-Man)
  • Like 1

Alex and I had a discussion at the Ritz Carlton Naples a few years back.

It did not end pleasantly

In 2012 I walked around to the back of the arena (San Jose) in the mid afternoon out of sheer boredom. My hotel was nearby and I had nothing to do while waiting for showtime. I was talking with some of the road crew and Neil pulled up on his red motorcycle along with his riding companion. I didn't even bother attempting to acknowledge him because I know he hates that whole thing. So, I was surprised when he nodded his head at me with a friendly gesture of hello. He seems happy when he's on his bike or hiking. He was much taller than I ever realized. I would love to meet Ged and Al. Would love to ask each of them what their favorite Rush song is.
  • Like 1

In 2012 I walked around to the back of the arena (San Jose) in the mid afternoon out of sheer boredom. My hotel was nearby and I had nothing to do while waiting for showtime. I was talking with some of the road crew and Neil pulled up on his red motorcycle along with his riding companion. I didn't even bother attempting to acknowledge him because I know he hates that whole thing. So, I was surprised when he nodded his head at me with a friendly gesture of hello. He seems happy when he's on his bike or hiking. He was much taller than I ever realized. I would love to meet Ged and Al. Would love to ask each of them what their favorite Rush song is.

That's interesting.

How tall would you presume he is?

A buddy of mine ran into Geddy at Safeco Field in Seattle on a day off during one of their tours. I would have left him alone, but my buddy is more aggressive. He approached him and got his ticket signed. A nice souvenier.

That's interesting.

It was really just celebrity-induced perceptual distortion

That's interesting.

Someone on here said a while back he is 6'4" or thereabouts.

That's interesting.

Neil is 6'4" (1.93 m)

Alex is 6'0" (1.83 m)

and Geddy is the "short" one at 5'10" (1.78 m)

according to a Google search for their heights.

That's interesting.

Neil is 6'4" (1.93 m)

Alex is 6'0" (1.83 m)

and Geddy is the "short" one at 5'10" (1.78 m)

according to a Google search for their heights.

Geddy is closer to 6 foot in his lifts

I wonder if they have shrunk at all. That happens with age.

Honestly, I didn't know Neil was that tall. Interesting.

Edited by Blue J

I met Geddy Lee on the street in Toronto in 1986! Totally random, friends drove from our hometown to walk up and down Yonge St. on a Friday night (it was a very cool thing to do in the 80's! Check the Subdivisions video out, it was very much like that :) ). Anyway, we met him on Bay St., while going back to the car. I can't remember much at all, except he signed some things and was nice. I remember that night, too, because on the way home it was raining and we were in a car accident. It was one of those flukey ones where despite the driver losing control we somehow managed to thread a needle of two large trees by the edge of the road--if we'd hit either at the speed we were going we'd probably have been done for--and instead drove relatively safely through tall grass for another couple of hundred yards. After we got out of the car and walked back to the road we were all silent, but we definitely noticed every huge tree trunk we'd missed by a foot or two.

Maybe St. Geddy was with me that night. :)

• Like 2