If Rush recorded an album of re-takes of 8 of their own songs, which would you pick, and why?

toymaker

You don't have to list 8 songs, but which songs do you think would sound better if they were re-recorded with certain parts left out? Roll the Bones without the rap? Big Money without the synthesizers? Open Secrets with more guitar? Think of songs you don't really care for but mostly because of that one or two or three awful things that they added to it . . .

To make things interesting, let's go back 10 or 15 years and assume that Geddy could still pull it off vocally.

For example, I think Time and Motion could rock more if they took out the low vocal and sped it up a bit.

You don't have to list 8 songs, but which songs do you think would sound better if they were re-recorded with certain parts left out? Roll the Bones without the rap? Big Money without the synthesizers? Open Secrets with more guitar? Think of songs you don't really care for but mostly because of that one or two or three awful things that they added to it . . .

To make things interesting, let's go back 10 or 15 years and assume that Geddy could still pull it off vocally.

For example, I think Time and Motion could rock more if they took out the low vocal and sped it up a bit.

I actually did that with Time and Motion because it seems like it drags. Speeding it up helps.

Half the World as an instrumental. It would still suck but it wouldn't be the dregs of the catalog.
  • Like 1

Half the World as an instrumental. It would still suck but it wouldn't be the dregs of the catalog.

It might be kind of repetitive as an instrumental (as opposed to what it is now . . .)

Is it the repetition of "Half the world . . . half the world . . . half the world . . . half the world" that bugs you?

I don't know if they would be able to improve on anything, but it would be interesting to hear a modern take on:

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

The Fountain of Lamneth

Xanadu

The Necromancer

War Paint

Emotion Detector

Lock and Key

Cinderella Man

Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 2

Between the Wheels: take out that atrocious synth sound in the beginning

Witch Hunt: Great lyrics, but I'd like to see them take a different approach, perhaps speeding up the tempo a bit in parts

The Big Money: More guitar, less synths...especially the casio-sound effects

Marathon: Great song that sounds so much better live with a more muscular sound

Force Ten: Ditto

Mission: Ditto

Superconductor: ditch the "superconductor" chantings

Where's My Thing?: Should be called "where's the beef"...it needs to be beefed up

• Like 1

Rather than re-recording anything, I'd prefer they REMIX Presto and Roll The Bones to give them some balls. As is, they sound like they were recorded off an AM radio.
  • Like 7

Rather than re-recording anything, I'd prefer they REMIX Presto and Roll The Bones to give them some balls. As is, they sound like they were recorded off an AM radio.

Yes, this would make a world of difference.

Interesting thread idea! Off the top of my head:

The Camera Eye and High Water with better guitar solos

Jacob's Ladder minus the entire noodley keyboard part

I'll try to come up with some more later.

It might be kind of repetitive as an instrumental (as opposed to what it is now . . .)

Is it the repetition of "Half the world . . . half the world . . . half the world . . . half the world" that bugs you?

Yes. The lyrics are insipid. The music might be repetitive but it's not grating.

• Like 1

Huh. I always considered the Camera Eye solo a real highlight.

• Like 4

The 2nd half is pretty good...the 1st half sounds like aimless wandering to me.

The 2nd half is pretty good...the 1st half sounds like aimless wandering to me.

That's Lifeson's sexy style, though. He starts slow, then increases the intensity . . . Jeez, I think I just gave myself shivers. I'll be back after a cold shower.

• Like 2

Roll the Bones needs to get rid of the rap, most definitely.

Time Stand Still needs to get rid of Aimee Mann, and not replace her. (Geddy is the only singer that belongs in Rush songs.)

Power Windows through Presto (and maybe even some of g/p) needs to have some of the keyboards/synths removed and the balls added back in.

• Like 1

They should take Rivendell and rewrite all the music so it sounds a little more like Making Memories

We could even let Neil squeeze 5-6 perfect high hat hit/closes he crams into half a measure or whatever (you know the part, love that part!)

I think they'd have more success from just remastering/remixing the albums which are in most need of better sound than actually changing their already recorded material. Someone somewhere loves that one aspect of that one song which you hate (e.g. I love all the synthiness of Power Windows, and the rap in Roll The Bones really makes the song a highlight of its album for me), and changing it would break their heart.

...however, it would be interesting to hear the debut recorded with Peart.

I think they'd have more success from just remastering/remixing the albums which are in most need of better sound than actually changing their already recorded material. Someone somewhere loves that one aspect of that one song which you hate (e.g. I love all the synthiness of Power Windows, and the rap in Roll The Bones really makes the song a highlight of its album for me), and changing it would break their heart.

Those original versions would still be there for you to enjoy. It's just that reinterpreting some of those songs could be cool. Imagine how an 80's synthfest song given a 70's vibe might appeal?

Those original versions would still be there for you to enjoy. It's just that reinterpreting some of those songs could be cool. Imagine how an 80's synthfest song given a 70's vibe might appeal?

Hrm...well, yeah I guess your right. I would probably enjoy both versions. So at any rate, how's about getting a re-recording of Finding My Way through Working Man with Peart on drums?

I've often wondered if there was more to the end if DIFFERENT STRINGS

For cryin' out loud, Alex just gets it going, and it fades ....... it might be interesting to have the solo go awhile, right ?

• Like 1

Between the Wheels: take out that atrocious synth sound in the beginning

Witch Hunt: Great lyrics, but I'd like to see them take a different approach, perhaps speeding up the tempo a bit in parts

The Big Money: More guitar, less synths...especially the casio-sound effects

Marathon: Great song that sounds so much better live with a more muscular sound

Force Ten: Ditto

Mission: Ditto

Superconductor: ditch the "superconductor" chantings

Where's My Thing?: Should be called "where's the beef"...it needs to be beefed up

^^^This would be good with a couple substitutions;

Replace Witch Hunt with Red Barchetta (or The Camera Eye)

Replace The Big Money with Grand Designs

Replace Superconductor with Presto

I think it would benefit a lot of the late 80's-90s songs to remove a lot of the synth. A lot of it could be replaced with guitar

I think it would benefit a lot of the late 80's-90s songs to remove a lot of the synth. A lot of it could be replaced with guitar

THAT's what I'm talking about!

• Like 1