Tom Sawyer: Rekindled Love

Disk98

I've always liked Tom Sawyer, but I just couldn't stand live versions of it because it's so overplayed. But I just listened to the Time Machine version of it, and it kicked a**. So my question to you is, is Tom Sawyer worthy of a 10/10 rating, or is it just too d*** overrated?

It's slightly over rated and ridiculously over played. I still give it a solid 8.5/10. Not quite a 9 though.

It's one of those songs you know by the 1st millisecond that hits your ears........and therein lies the secret to it's mass appeal.

• Like 1

Yes, it is worthy of a 10/10 rating.

It ranks up there with Subdivisions, Limelight, and Emotion Detector.

...and Headlong Flight

Please don't put Headlong Flight and the flaccid ED in the same category

Because it's so damn overplayed it feels overrated. It's the no question, hands down, go to Rush song for the masses.

That's why I have such a hard time placing it in my personal rankings.

I'm starting a god undue (that is apples auto correct for gofundme) to get loads of cash and offer cash payment to the band to not play Tom Sawyey. Does Rush accept political contribiputions, aka bribes?

My second RUSH concert was Sept 25, 1980 ( ... it was also the day John Bonham died )... I had seen RUSH 4 months earlier, but the show in Sept was a little different - they introduced Limelight and Tom Sawyer, and I remember Tom Sawyer had this insane off-the-cuff solo in it from Alex ..

In the 4 months between my first and second show, I remember feeling a change from the band - I can't remember if they had cut their hair more, or what ... But 2112 was cut down, Cygnus X1 was no longer in the set, and I recall not being thrilled with the "new" songs ..

I still really don't even like Tom Sawyer

As a bonus for those still reading this nonsense, here's a fun little fact - my parents drove me and my friends to see the show in Sept 1980 - it was about 2.5 hr drive down to the Spectrum, and during that time, my friend Rex consumed at least 3 containers of orange Tic-Tacs ( hey, we were all of 12 years old ) ... Thankfully, SAXON opened for RUSH, and this gave Rex ample time to take care of his diarrhea and get back to his seat ..

The good old days

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

Overplayed? Sure.

A great song with great playing and great lyrics? There is no doubt. I think most of the people that hate the song only do so because it is so popular...what else is there not to like.

• Like 1

Overplayed? Sure.

A great song with great playing and great lyrics? There is no doubt. I think most of the people that hate the song only do so because it is so popular...what else is there not to like.

And its on every single live release since the hiatus.

Its pretty ubiquitous. May be the quintessential Rush song. I have just used two very big words to describe it so it must be good.

It's Walk This Way

Stairway to Heaven

Freebird

We have heard these so many times, unless I am AT the show, even I will change the channel.

All still great songs

• Like 1

I sometimes joke with a friend of mine and say when someone/something is greatly known by one grand creation that "fill in the blank is their Tom Sawyer".

My sister, who knows close to zero about Rush, once asked if they have any other songs...

But yes, it's definitely a great song...wildly popular or not.

One advantage of Rush not being at all popular here is that I have NEVER heard them on the radio. So Tom Sawyer still rocks as far as I'm concerned, and I will be actively looking forward to it on August 1!
  • Like 1

I still don't get excited about live versions, but I HAVE recently regained the ability to enjoy the studio version. To the point that I've actually been putting it in playlists again (which I had thought would NEVER happen)!

The original MP version is still awesome and classic.

• Like 1