If Rush actually does a nice portion of 70's songs...

ALifeson85

Jacobs Ladder seems like a no brainer. Easy pitch, very little singing which gives him a break, fan favorite, people are dying to hear it.

There is no down side.

But...but...Kenny, everyone knows that Permanent Waves is an eighties album. :cool: :LOLsign:

Jacobs Ladder seems like a no brainer. Easy pitch, very little singing which gives him a break, fan favorite, people are dying to hear it.

There is no down side.

But...but...Kenny, everyone knows that Permanent Waves is an eighties album. :cool: :LOLsign:

Haha... :P

Think a lot of you guys fail to realize that tuning down one step is not going to be enough. Tuning down doesn't work a lot of the time anyway because the song sounds like it's dragging. The only real option they might have is if he sings songs down an octave. That's the only way Hemispheres would be able to be played.

I think some of the power of the song would be lost with a drop that big in the vocal. FWIW I have a version of Hemispheres I plugged through Audacity a whole step down and I think this tune would work in that key.

IMO it may be best to take the key change thing song by song (a la The Police on their reunion tour). Some songs it would suit better than others.

I forget who the interview was with but they said that they rehearsed AFTK for R30 but it was dropped because Geddy was struggling with it vocally. That was over a decade ago and his voice was still solid on that tour. The list of songs from the 70s they can play now is probably even less than it was then.

IIRC Geddy also said they did not wish to change the key of this song. Having done the same as above for Hemispheres, I think that tune would hit pretty hard in C# standard tuning.

Think a lot of you guys fail to realize that tuning down one step is not going to be enough. Tuning down doesn't work a lot of the time anyway because the song sounds like it's dragging. The only real option they might have is if he sings songs down an octave. That's the only way Hemispheres would be able to be played.

I think some of the power of the song would be lost with a drop that big in the vocal. FWIW I have a version of Hemispheres I plugged through Audacity a whole step down and I think this tune would work in that key.

IMO it may be best to take the key change thing song by song (a la The Police on their reunion tour). Some songs it would suit better than others.

I forget who the interview was with but they said that they rehearsed AFTK for R30 but it was dropped because Geddy was struggling with it vocally. That was over a decade ago and his voice was still solid on that tour. The list of songs from the 70s they can play now is probably even less than it was then.

IIRC Geddy also said they did not wish to change the key of this song. Having done the same as above for Hemispheres, I think that tune would hit pretty hard in C# standard tuning.

I agree. Personally I wouldn't mind if he'd sing the songs down an octave. I just want to hear it again.

It worked for A Passage to Bangkok, so maybe it would for others. I think the big question would be if Rush wants to do key changes (again, I think it would work for some stuff but I think it would be more interesting if they tried that out song by song rather than just tuning down a step for everything. We'll see what happens).

It worked for A Passage to Bangkok, so maybe it would for others. I think the big question would be if Rush wants to do key changes (again, I think it would work for some stuff but I think it would be more interesting if they tried that out song by song rather than just tuning down a step for everything. We'll see what happens).

Actually, Bangkok wasn't down tuned, but Geddy lowered a couple lines of vocals