R40 Overture

Hey guys, new member here. You guys have a great community. Love all the knowledgeable Rush talk.

I've seen a lot of speculation about a possible R40 Overture, similar to what the guys did on the R30 tour, either to open the show or at least at some point during the show to highlight some great older songs. It got me to thinking about what songs might make a good medley without repeating any of the songs from the R30 Overture. Here's what I came up with:

Fly By Night/Lakeside Park/Something for Nothing/Cinderella Man/Circumstances/Freewill

I don't know how realistic it is, but I do know I would enjoy it.

6 songs off of the first 6 albums with Pert (similar to R30 minus the debut album + PW)

How cool would the opening chords to Fly By Night sound to start the night? I don't think it's been played live in over 30 years.

Lakeside Park is another song that hasn't been played live in forever. It also has a signature guitar and bass riff and also pays homage to Peart's youth.

Something for Nothing. Pretty self explanatory. Would love to see it played in full, but the vocals on the last half of the song are ridiculous.

Cinderella Man is just one of my personal favorites and one of the under-appreciated songs on A Farewell to Kings.

Circumstances has that incredibly heavy driving rhythm and was reprised in 2007 for the S&A tour.

Freewill is a popular song that I think they may have to sacrifice for the sake of some other songs that they haven't played live as much, so it makes a lot of sense to incorporate it into an R40 Overture as the final rocking blows.

Let me know what you think. Any songs you guys think would make a great R40 Overture?

Edited by CaressMySteel
  • Like 1

Welcome to the TRF! I believe they should use songs in an "Overture" that Geddy just can't sing anymore. I think there are a couple in your list that he still might be able to pull off.

By the way, it's spelled "Peart", not "Pert".

Again, welcome!

• Like 1

Hey guys, new member here. You guys have a great community. Love all the knowledgeable Rush talk.

Fly By Night/Lakeside Park/Something for Nothing/Cinderella Man/Circumstances/Freewill

Geez a dude after my own heart. You squeeze Lessons in their somewhere and we may have a bromance in the making... :LOL:
  • Like 3

Dude, they HAVE to play Fly By Night now, I can't believe I didn't realize it before. Opening a medley with it would also be pretty sweet. Only foreseeable unreality I see with your medley is that Ged kind of hates Lakeside Park...and pretty much anything pre-2112 for that matter.

And welcome welcome welcome! :)

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Been thinkin' about this:

The Camera Eye

Countdown

Red Lenses

Mystic Rhythms

Prime Mover

Presto - Full version

I'm sure there's no chance in Hades this will happen, but it's fun to think about. The R30 Medley was such a great surprise and so well done. It would be almost impossible to top that, but who knows? One thing for sure, I'll be there to see it!

• Like 1

It would be sooooo cool if they do an R40 medley, if they would spend a little more time on each song...and to sample some vintage Ged singing. I thing the place would go ape $h!7.

Welcome to the TRF! I believe they should use songs in an "Overture" that Geddy just can't sing anymore. I think there are a couple in your list that he still might be able to pull off.

Again, welcome!

Oh gosh, of course it's Peart. Typo there. First post and I commit the biggest faux pas possible on a Rush forum. Lol. Is the fact that I was writing the post at work buy me some leniency? Thanks for the welcome.

• Like 1

Geez a dude after my own heart. You squeeze Lessons in their somewhere and we may have a bromance in the making... :LOL:

I would flip if they played Lessons, plus it's one of the handful of songs my wife likes too.
  • Like 1

Dude, they HAVE to play Fly By Night now, I can't believe I didn't realize it before. Opening a medley with it would also be pretty sweet. Only foreseeable unreality I see with your medley is that Ged kind of hates Lakeside Park...and pretty much anything pre-2112 for that matter.

And welcome welcome welcome! :)

Man, I love LSP. I always wondered why they never played it. Such a cool song with a laid back feel.
  • Like 1

I would flip if they played Lessons, plus it's one of the handful of songs my wife likes too..

Your wife has great taste. One of the most underrated tunes in their catalog. Give her my regards and kudos... :)
  • Like 1

And pronounced "peeert" not "purt"...... ;) ;)

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Something for Nothing. Pretty self explanatory. Would love to see it played in full, but the vocals on the last half of the song are ridiculous.

: ) They sure are. : ) God I love that song. Frigging guy could really belt it out.

I endorse your overture.

Working Man

By-Tor and the Snowdog

Didacts and Narpets

Something for Nothing

A Farewell to Kings

Circumstances

Freewill

And then launch into a full Tom Sawyer.

• Like 2