Anyone else getting the feeling that this is going to be a greatest hits tour?

Aikenrooster

Anyone else getting the feeling that this is going to be a greatest hits tour? If so, that's going to suck. Are there any quotes or spoilers or evidence, so far, to hint that there will be some deeper cuts on this tour?
  • Like 1

If so I hope they consider Natural Science, Xanadu, Book I and II and 2112 to be greatest hits. Just to name a few... :sigh:
  • Like 4

Most of the hits will be included. For better or for worse.

I am assuming the big 10-14 career songs.

I am hoping for 3-8 shockers. Xanadu, Jacob..etc

The fact they are warming up in LA and not Toronto means Neil is calling the shots.

Another indication, this is it. I am going with the assumption this is the final tour. So if it is a hits tour, I'm fine for the last go round.

Anyone else getting the feeling that this is going to be a greatest hits tour? If so, that's going to suck. Are there any quotes or spoilers or evidence, so far, to hint that there will be some deeper cuts on this tour?

Time to sick the YBG on the case...

I would like some deep cuts though and I think we'll get some from the 80s/90s but I don't expect a lot of 70s stuff except maybe working man, definitely overture/temples and CTTH, hopefully the trees
  • Like 1

My hope is they do at least 1 complete song off every album. I have expressed my thoughts on the medley and do not want to re-hash. But at least one off of the early stuff and a lot of instrumentals to represent a path through the passage of time mixed with the more "popular" tunes would be good. It would be nice if their mind set was to do a bunch of deep cuts old and new. But if one looks at the set list picks of the past they do have a recipe formula of how they assemble the dish. But hopefully some surprises are in order.. It has happened before.
  • Like 1

I would like some deep cuts though and I think we'll get some from the 80s/90s but I don't expect a lot of 70s stuff except maybe working man, definitely overture/temples and CTTH, hopefully the trees

3 are exactly the same 70s stuff from the last 2 tours, and the trees was in a recent tour also. Just don't understand this perspective, paying hundreds of dollars for the same songs they performed the last five or so years. They changed around Circumstances on SnA and it sounded good. If LL Cool Ged can still sing CTTH he can sing many of the 70s tunes.

Folks, thanks for coming out. To reward your loyalty, were gonna reach back to the glory years. Here is The Trees, it's been seven long years since we played this one for you!

:huh:

Edited by Gabrielgil513

the guys said this to make things clear :

"Recent interviews with both Neil Peart and Alex Lifeson tend to indicate that the tour will take a retrospective look at Rush's 40-year career and include a good bit of older material that the band will alternate from night to night"

• Like 1

Is there something wrong with the 'Greatest' hits?

As the definition of 'Great' changed?

I'm cool with a chronological Greatest Hits setlist.

Sure, some deep cuts are welcome....I think that will happen with 5-7 alternating songs.

You can bank on hearing the usual 8-10 most well-known Rush songs (side 1 of MP, Spirit, 2112, Freewill, Subvisions, CTTH, Trees), but I hope they will overhaul the set a bit beyond that.

I took Geddy's comment of 'songs that reached the audience' on TMS to mean they will include nuggets that they know the diehards love. "Xanadu", "Natural Science" and oldies in that vein WILL be included, along with cuts they've never played as long as they can do them justice.

The fact they are warming up in LA and not Toronto means Neil is calling the shots.

Or it could mean that Neil is grateful for being able to stay at home and will be more willing to let Alex and Geddy get their way with setlist inclusions.

Since there isn't a new album to play off of, it certainly leaves more room to throw in the old classics. I'm just hoping to get 1 (or 2 please) 70s songs that I haven't seen yet (seen every tour from HYF on).

R30 was kind of a greatest hits concert for at least part of it. R40 will probably be the same. I think people would be disappointed if it wasn't.
  • Like 1