Your least favorite song lyrics Neil have ever written?

YYZumbi

All of Clockwork Angels.

Not even The Garden?

It is what it is and whatever :)

Eeesh...P-U, that stinks! For shame Neil, for shame. :facepalm:

That's a bad line, but this:

The future disappears into memory

With only a moment between

Forever dwells in that moment

Hope is what remains to be seen

Is one of the very few truly profound things he has ever written.

• Like 2

Not a lyric, but a quote:

Neil has become a very bitter, unpleasant person

To get nostalgic about other people's music, or even about your own, makes a terrible statement about the condition of your life and your prospects for the future. I have no patience with that kind of attitude, whether it's on radio or among friends.

Neil Peart

I like his sentiments though...he wants to live in the now and be proud of his current situation, not mope remembering the past as if his youth defined his only golden era.

I really like this quote actually...

It does sound bitter, but it's also a response the the interviewer's first question - will you return to your "primary basic sound" - I mean, that phrasing could make anyone defensive maybe. I think he's speaking as a musician at that time in his life when it was all about moving forward and exploring.

It's almost as if the interviewer is saying "cool album and everything, but do you think you'll go back and do that amazing stuff from the 70s again?"

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

To get nostalgic about other people's music, or even about your own, makes a terrible statement about the condition of your life and your prospects for the future. I have no patience with that kind of attitude, whether it's on radio or among friends.

Neil Peart

I like his sentiments though...he wants to live in the now and be proud of his current situation, not mope remembering the past as if his youth defined his only golden era.

It does sound bitter, but it's also a response the the interviewer's first question - will you return to your "primary basic sound" - I mean, that phrasing could make anyone defensive maybe. I think he's speaking as a musician at that time in his life when it was all about moving forward and exploring.

It's almost as if the interviewer is saying "cool album and everything, but do you think you'll go back and do that amazing stuff from the 70s again?"

Yes, when I read the interview - and the question posed - the quote took on a different meaning ..

With that said, in the context of the interview, Neil does come across as a bit reactionary ... Sort of understandable, as you said TM because of what the question implied ..

Let's just say that the interviewer probably struck a nerve ;)

• Like 2

Neil Peart

Another from Neil, a bit more pleasant:

In 2007, I studied with Peter Erskine because I was doing a Buddy Rich tribute concert, and I wanted to take my big-band drumming up a level. I went over to Peter's house with my sticks, feeling like a 13-year-old again.

With the first quote I posted ( in regards to nostalgia ), I had only seen the quote itself, and not the question it was in response to .. I jumped the gun a bit ( wouldn't be the first time ), but it is somewhat bitter ..

What is telling is that in 1986, with Neil feeling as he did, the band had a decade of the worst output in front of them ..

I think that says something - how the music will ( obviously ) reflect the mindset and personalities of the members at that time

Edited by Lucas

Neil Peart

Yes, when I read the interview - and the question posed - the quote took on a different meaning ..

With that said, in the context of the interview, Neil does come across as a bit reactionary ... Sort of understandable, as you said TM because of what the question implied ..

I won't say that Peart doesn't occasionally make some gruesome generalizations, but I will give him some credit for having examples to try to back up what he's saying - whether it's good evidence is another story, but he does give the impression of a person who has thought a lot and deeply about these subjects (such as the apparent close-mindedness that comes from living in insular communities) and doesn't want to say something without warrant. It's just that some of his examples themselves perhaps "beg the question."

• Like 2

Neil Peart

I won't say that Peart doesn't occasionally make some gruesome generalizations, but I will give him some credit for having examples to try to back up what he's saying - whether it's good evidence is another story, but he does give the impression of a person who has thought a lot and deeply about these subjects (such as the apparent close-mindedness that comes from living in insular communities) and doesn't want to say something without warrant. It's just that some of his examples themselves perhaps "beg the question."

Neil can be amazing with his creative drive, and eye rolling with his arrogance ..

One thing he isn't is bland or lifeless

That's why he'll always have a special spot with me ..

Neil Peart

In 2007, I studied with Peter Erskine because I was doing a Buddy Rich tribute concert, and I wanted to take my big-band drumming up a level. I went over to Peter's house with my sticks, feeling like a 13-year-old again.

With the first quote I posted ( in regards to nostalgia ), I had only seen the quote itself, and not the question it was in response to .. I jumped the gun a bit ( wouldn't be the first time ), but it is somewhat bitter ..

What is telling is that in 1986, with Neil feeling as he did, the band had a decade of the worst output in front of them ..

I think that says something - how the music will ( obviously ) reflect the mindset and personalities of the members at that time

That's your opinion, not fact. I think Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Presto are great albums. HYF is my favourite Rush album. And Counterparts is near classic, and I greatly enjoy Test For Echo.

Meanwhile I can live without pre-1986 albums Rush, Hemispheres and Signals very happily.

Neil Peart

That's your opinion, not fact. I think Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Presto are great albums. HYF is my favourite Rush album. And Counterparts is near classic, and I greatly enjoy Test For Echo.

Meanwhile I can live without pre-1986 albums Rush, Hemispheres and Signals very happily.

And that's why this is called a "discussion forum"

There is, however, a definite change in tone between those two interviews, and this was reflected in the music ..

If someone prefers Alien Shore to Bastille Day, more power to 'em .. But that person definitely isn't me

N

• Like 2

Neil has written some really cool lyrics, but there are a lot of misses out there

Chemistry

Hard to get too fired up about the subject matter here. Seems to me it's Chemistry and also seems to me it's a rock song, not a science class

Test for Echo (almost the whole album)

Really interesting how there are so many misses on this album lyrically. I don't know if it's because Neil was working on a new drumming style and mailed in the lyrics or what, but it's not his finest moment. Test for Echo the song has way too many words and Geddy is trying to fit in too much. Half the World is, um, redundant. Totem-Really don't want to hear what Neil has wrapped around his totem pole. Time and Motion loses me. Have no idea what it's about. Dog Years has been beaten to death, Virtuality may have the most cringe worth moment with the modem thing.

Far Cry-It's a Far Cry from the world we thought we'd inherit. Ok, but Instead of telling us about how disappointed you are about the world you inherited give us some answers. Otherwise, it's just complaining

Armor and Sword-Similar to Test for Echo. Neil is trying to tell us too much here. Just a lot for poor Geddy to take on

I think Signals is overrated mainly because of the lyrics. Besides Chemistry, there's Analog Kid, New World Man, and Digital Man. Who are all these guys and why is Rush singing about them? Is Analog the son of Digital and where does New World fit in the family tree? I get and appreciate that he's trying to write more personal lyrics about people but it's a bit confusing.

Hand Over Fist-Not sure what's going on here but I know it's partly about Rock, Paper, Scissors? So, yeah, based on that it makes the list

Chain Lightning-Another one that completely loses me. No one seems to know what it's all about.

I ALMOST completely agree with you. Almost. Chain Lightening is about taking pleasure out of the simple things in life and sharing it with people you love. I got that on the first listen.
  • Like 1

Neil Peart

Think that's bad? Have you read "Ghost Rider"? He talks about most people like they were a nuisance living in HIS world. I'll always respect the man for his drumming and song writing (for the most part), but he's no longer my idol like he was when I first discovered Rush as a 15-year-old back in the early '80s.
  • Like 2

And I even like that song! But that line is unforgivable. Bleh.

"It is what it is, and forever..." isn't much better.

Or...

A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage

Talk about a clunky lyric.

• Like 1

Or...

Eh...I pretty much like everything about "The Anarchist". The fact that he repeats that one particular line 100 times may be a little annoying, but that's nit-picking. Edited by Blue Barchetta
  • Like 1

Or...

Eh...I pretty much like everything about "The Anarchist". The fact that he repeats that one particular line 100 times may be a little annoying, but that's nit-picking.

It's just really awkward.

Or...

Eh...I pretty much like everything about "The Anarchist". The fact that he repeats that one particular line 100 times may be a little annoying, but that's nit-picking.

To me, the rest of the lyrics like, "Will there be world enough and time for me to sing that song..." make up for it.

Or...

To me, the rest of the lyrics like, "Will there be world enough and time for me to sing that song..." make up for it.

On a related note, there's no way I would've been able to decipher the lyrics without the lyric sheet.

Or...

On a related note, there's no way I would've been able to decipher the lyrics without the lyric sheet.

He had cotton mouth on that album something fierce.

Or...

He had cotton mouth on that album something fierce.

The funeral dirge...discordant and slightly off. Yeah...

He started it on S & A and continued it on CA.

That and bad, overly layered, muddy, shoehorned lyrics on both albums.

• Like 2

Neil Peart

Think that's bad? Have you read "Ghost Rider"? He talks about most people like they were a nuisance living in HIS world. I'll always respect the man for his drumming and song writing (for the most part), but he's no longer my idol like he was when I first discovered Rush as a 15-year-old back in the early '80s.

I read Ghost and I understand why you'd think that but given that Neil suddenly lost both his daughter and wife within a year he got a total pass from me to seem like a bitter anti-social shut in angry at the world. Most anyone else would be. And hopefully writing that book was therapudic (sp?) for him.

When I think about it, some of Geddy's lyrics on MFH are better than those on CA. :yes:

I'm not saying those are great lyrics on MFH but some are more digestible. :yes:

It doesn't feel like he's cramming the vocals INTO the song like some of them on CA. :no:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

When I think about it, some of Geddy's lyrics on MFH are better than those on CA. :yes:

I'm not saying those are great lyrics on MFH but some are more digestible. :yes:

It doesn't feel like he's cramming the vocals INTO the song like some of them on CA. :no:

I guess it DOES make a difference when the one writing the lyrics is the one who´s actually going to sing them, right?

• Like 1

I guess it DOES make a difference when the one writing the lyrics is the one who´s actually going to sing them, right?

Yeah. And actually I think Ben Mink mentions that in the MFH documentary. I can't truly remember as it's been so long since I've seen it. Since Geddy wrote everything (with some input/assistance from Mink?), it'd make sense that none of the vocals or lyrics seemed shoved into the melodies. Regardless of whether the MFH tunes were good or great or not, everything seemed like it matched or flowed.

• Like 1