The Worst - Round Ten

Lorraine

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is the worst song on Power Windows?

• The Big Money
    • Grand Designs
    • Manhattan Project
    • Marathon
    • Territories
    • Middletown Dreams
    • Emotion Detector
    • Mystic Rhythms

And how has no one voted for territories?

Because of this. Worse than breaking a mirror or walking under a ladder to vote for a song that could use this... :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Disco_ball4.jpg

• Like 2

"ED" loses on so many levels....

They have pills for that these days, though.

:syrinx: Come one folks must I do everything around here? That was a good1... :laughing guy: :LOL:

I'm glad somebody got it. ;)

:unsure:

Ummm...I mean, ehhhmm...

Let me rephrase that- I'm glad somebody understood and acknowledged the joke!

:cheers:

• Like 1

A question for long time guitarists here - did your fingers lose nimbleness as you got older? What I'm asking is - can you move them as fast as you used to?

With very rare exception, I'd say the answer is yes, the fingers definitely lose their moxy over time.

I haven't been playing long enough to experience, and I almost strictly play rhythm guitar anyway...but I know for sure that it happens.

• Like 1

A question for long time guitarists here - did your fingers lose nimbleness as you got older? What I'm asking is - can you move them as fast as you used to?

With very rare exception, I'd say the answer is yes, the fingers definitely lose their moxy over time.

I haven't been playing long enough to experience, and I almost strictly play rhythm guitar anyway...but I know for sure that it happens.

Yes they do. Just like everything else in your body.

• Like 1

I've played for...decades, let's just put it that way.

You loose some dexterity, but since your hearing starts to suck you think you sound better.

Come on, does anything move as fast as it used to when you get older?

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

Mystic Rythyms...you gotta admit the part before the vocals sounds like Miami Vice soundtrack.

Burn it along with the white double breasted blazer and the coral tshirt.

I've played for...decades, let's just put it that way.

You loose some dexterity, but since your hearing starts to suck you think you sound better.

Come on, does anything move as fast as it used to when you get older?

Just asking. I don't play, so I wouldn't know.

In preparation for this poll, I listened to the entire album for the first time in probably a year. :blink:

For those of you who were fans of Rush in the seventies and followed them from the seventies through the early eighties to this album, were you devastated when you heard Power Windows in its entirety?

I've definitely learned to like the album on its own merits now, but at the time, yeah, I was a bit confused. I saw them on the Power Windows tour, and I was so bummed by the PoW-heavy setlist, that horrible Wal bass, and the lack of big epics.

• Like 2

In preparation for this poll, I listened to the entire album for the first time in probably a year. :blink:

For those of you who were fans of Rush in the seventies and followed them from the seventies through the early eighties to this album, were you devastated when you heard Power Windows in its entirety?

I've definitely learned to like the album on its own merits now, but at the time, yeah, I was a bit confused. I saw them on the Power Windows tour, and I was so bummed by the PoW-heavy setlist, that horrible Wal bass, and the lack of big epics.

I've read on here from time to time that many fans walked away from Rush in the eighties. I can understand why with this album.

Like I said in another post, i do admire them for taking a great leap and departure from what had been considered their norm, but they did take a big risk and chance when they did that.

• Like 2

It took me a while to answer this (I've been busy writing my "explanation" of the Mystic Rhythms video on the other subforum), but I would say yes, I think you do lose a bit of nimbleness. But I tend to wonder if it's because I just don't play as much as I did when I was younger. I don't have the same kind of free time. Possibly an excuse, but . . .

It took me a while to answer this (I've been busy writing my "explanation" of the Mystic Rhythms video on the other subforum), but I would say yes, I think you do lose a bit of nimbleness. But I tend to wonder if it's because I just don't play as much as I did when I was younger. I don't have the same kind of free time. Possibly an excuse, but . . .

I think it certainly contributes to it, yes. Some of both.

Sorry, Narps. I'm just a messed-up, addicted slave to the Coca Cola corporation.

I love my Pepsi :d13: I just went out and bought four 4 packs of the Pepsi in the old school bottles with real sugar. Love that stuff...

Sorry, Narps. I'm just a messed-up, addicted slave to the Coca Cola corporation.

I love my Pepsi :d13: I just went out and bought four 4 packs of the Pepsi in the old school bottles with real sugar. Love that stuff...

I have to admit you make it sound delicious. Either that or the little dude who licks his lips after every drink of the endlessly replenished glass of Pepsi.

Edited by toymaker

Ahh, the days of buying soda pop in glass bottles. Definitely takes me back to an easier place and time... :)

I think it's cool that they put their product on the market now in those real glass bottles- but damn if they don't make you pay more out of pocket, just for the novelty of it.

But sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do. :LOL:

I have to admit you make it sound delicious. Either that or the little dude who licks his lips after every drink of the endlessly replenished glass of Pepsi.

Is that what the little face does? My emoticons don't move.

• Like 1

You get a liter or two of what is considered "normal" Pepsi and this stuff i am talking about. Freak'in night and day...

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d3fede79ce4a4cf70f2dbf1367d0754044254b90/c=0-240-298-464&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2014/04/08//1396972700000-XXX-Pepsi.jpg

Yep. He turns and looks at us and licks his lips after a sip... :)

Yep. He turns and looks at us and licks his lips after downing the whole glass... :)

Fixed. :d13:

• Like 2

I've read on here from time to time that many fans walked away from Rush in the eighties. I can understand why with this album.

Like I said in another post, i do admire them for taking a great leap and departure from what had been considered their norm, but they did take a big risk and chance when they did that.

This is well said Lorraine. To me, its not that I hate the chance they took, but more about the legendary guitar n bass sound they moved away from. High Water came on my rotation earlier, first Rush song today, and I enjoyed it.

But they never recovered fully their epic sound. Surely life is about change. But when a band has legendary guitar and bass, to minimize that in favor of keys, did and doesn't make sense.

PoW was such a huge departure, it unfairly impacts my memory of Signals and GP** good albums, because I knew what came next.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 2

Yep. He turns and looks at us and licks his lips after downing the whole glass... :)

Fixed. :d13:

True that in the interest of accuracy... :)

Soda in a cold glass bottle is an entirely different experience than soda from a can or a plastic bottle. And, yeah, real sugar is where it's at, I can't understand how Americans can deal with that HFC crap. :)

• Like 3

High Water came on my rotation earlier, first Rush song today, and I enjoyed it.

It will get beat up really bad next round. Doubt if it loses because of that other song before it but it will come in second. HYF is actually a very good 8 song album. I think its better than Power Windows especially if they had cut it short and left the last two off... Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

Power Windows would be another 10, if it were not for The Big Money.

Never truly understood why they would open an album with such a clunky tune.

Rest of the album, the best is better than anything on GUP...but that opener...good but not really that good.

You and Mick and I all agree on the same Achilles heel, then!

And I am probably more vehemently opposed to it than either of you. I almost always skip it.

I hate skipping tracks...but this is a skipper...I tolerate it now more than I ever used to. I think after hearing the worst of the nineties made me appreciate this album, and each song, a whole lot more.

I really love the eighties Rush. For me, their most unique and individual sounding era.

High Water came on my rotation earlier, first Rush song today, and I enjoyed it.

It will get beat up really bad next round. Doubt if it loses because of that other song before it but it will come in second. HYF is actually a very good 8 song album. I think its better than Power Windows especially if they had cut it short and left the last two off...

Those last 2 on HYF are gonna make me WISH i could vote twice, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000