Favourite Peter Gabriel-era Genesis Song.( Excluding Supper's READY )

Red Dwarf

I know this won't be that popular with some TRF members,but I was just wondering which is your favourite Gabriel-era Genesis Song? Supper's Ready is really popular so we'll exclude that one shall we!

P.S We'll do a Collins-era theme later!

My favourite song with Gabriel is definitely The Musical Box! Love the storyline with this song,and the way it begins from an almost pastoral beginning to its intense ending!

• Like 2

This is tough. But I'll say "The Cinema Show" from Selling England by the Pound. I like the flute solo in that song.
  • Like 3

Cinema Show. The full version encapsulates so much of what Gabriel-era Genesis did right, IMO: pastoral acoustic work, and massive symphonic keyboard-dominated bombast. I love it. :)
  • Like 3

Firth of Fifth.

That melody line in the middle, first played on flute and piano, then later on lead guitar, is just absolutely magical. It gets me every time.

Watcher of the Skies, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Musical Box and The Return of the Giant Hogweed are all up there...actually, lots of others

• Like 4

One of my other favorites is "it", the very last tune on "The Lamb...". Really is hard to pick just one.
  • Like 1

I haven't seen one song I'd disagree with. The first time I heard those incredible mellotron chords at the beginning of Watcher of The Skies, or the melody lines of Firth of Fifth, or the progression from Gabriel's solo voice to the wall of sound in Dancing With The Moonlit Knight... it's so hard to pick one.
  • Like 3

I haven't seen one song I'd disagree with. The first time I heard those incredible mellotron chords at the beginning of Watcher of The Skies, or the melody lines of Firth of Fifth, or the progression from Gabriel's solo voice to the wall of sound in Dancing With The Moonlit Knight... it's so hard to pick one.

Goddamn! You had to remind me of Firth of Fifth!

I still stand by my response.

• Like 1

Watcher of the Skies definitely is up near the top for me. Get 'Em Out By Friday, Dancing With the Moonlit Knight, Time Table, The Musical Box- all highlights.

But More Fool Me might just be the one.

So it's not prog- I don't care. :P I flippin' love that song.

• Like 5

Watcher of the Skies definitely is up near the top for me. Get 'Em Out By Friday, Dancing With the Moonlit Knight, Time Table, The Musical Box- all highlights.

But More Fool Me might just be the one.

So it's not prog- I don't care. :P I flippin' love that song.

me too......that's why i shake my head. Collins was to pop. there was pop sprinkled all over gabriel era in my view, lol

But it's gabriel so we'll just look the other way, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Hmm... this is almost impossible. My favorite Genesis song is forever changing because I love and cherish each song equally; it just depends on the mood I'm in. Right now I'm greatly attached to Visions Of Angels and The Lamia.
  • Like 4

The lyrics were for me more important than the music in the beginning.The ability to tell a story in its short form e.g. Harold The Barrel,or in its epic form e.g. The Fountain of Salmacis ,made for something special,and it wasn't until later,after I fully appreciated the words, that I began to fully enjoy the music of Genesis.

When I was growing up most of my closet friends couldn't understand my passion for Gabriel-era G,and they told me so too! But I loved the characters like Rael,Fang,Harold Demure and John Pebble of Styx Enterprises! Melodrama at its best!

Genesis along with Rush are two bands that have produced quality music,but without their ability to write interesting lyrics within the song ,they would be poorer for it!

Honourable mentions to The Lamia,and White Mountain.