For remastered edition, was 'Hemispheres' cover given 'Smell the Glove' treatment?

Rush Fan in Michigan

You have to be familiar with "This is Spinal Tap" to get the reference, but I was wondering about the plain black alternative cover when I bought the remastered version of "Hemispheres."

We're at No. 9 in the R40 Countdown. I've got the aforementioned "Hemispheres," and Will has "Test for Echo."

I'm always surprised that while the first two parts of "2112" are concert staples, the wonderful "Prelude" of "Cygnus X-1, Book 2: Hemispheres" hasn't seen a setlist since the Permanent Waves tour, other than the R30 snippet.

(Note, I stand corrected! See more knowledgeable fans below)

Any ideas why?

Here's this week's post in the countdown. We're having fun with this:

Rush R40 Countdown at No. 9: Was 'Hemispheres' remaster cover art given 'Smell the Glove' treatment?

Edited by Rush Fan in Michigan

Prelude was played on the Moving Pictures and ESL tours, and they also brought it back for the Counterparts tour. They stopped playing it because it's very hard for Geddy to sing, I'd imagine. Even in 1994 his voice was cracking at some of the notes, I can't imagine them trying it now, even tuned down a step like they did with Circumstances on the S&A tour (and have done and continue to do with 2112 since the Test For Echo tour). Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 2

Well, the lyrics on Test for Echo could have been written by Nigel in some of his less cogent moments.

As for the rankings, there aren't eight better albums period, let alone eight albums by Rush that are better.

But, hey, to each their own. You might want to be prepared for some blowback on this one, since Hemispheres usually is voted #1 on this forum.

• Like 1

Thanks, Jane. I had no idea Prelude made those appearances on the later tours! And I was even at the MP show in New York. I did miss the Counterparts tour when is worked through Michigan.

Glad to help! :) Also, Thanks to the wonders of videotape, here's them performing it in 1994. Be warned, the vocals are a bit painful:

• Like 2

Well, the lyrics on Test for Echo could have been written by Nigel in some of his less cogent moments.

As for the rankings, there aren't eight better albums period, let alone eight albums by Rush that are better.

But, hey, to each their own. You might want to be prepared for some blowback on this one, since Hemispheres usually is voted #1 on this forum.

Will's got it higher on his ranking, but I'm not sure where. We're not sharing our rankings in advance, I write the first part, then email it to him to complete. He's more of the prog fan, loving the early Yes and Genesis. We both love the same band -- for different reasons.

• Like 1

Thanks, Jane. I had no idea Prelude made those appearances on the later tours! And I was even at the MP show in New York. I did miss the Counterparts tour when is worked through Michigan.

Glad to help! :) Also, Thanks to the wonders of videotape, here's them performing it in 1994. Be warned, the vocals are a bit painful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH5jYLRcl08

THAT. IS. AWESOME!!!!!!! (Slightly painful vocals aside.)

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH5jYLRcl08

THAT. IS. AWESOME!!!!!!! (Slightly painful vocals aside.)

I believe credit goes to Les Claypool for convincing them to bring back Prelude on the Counterparts tour.

Love seeing Shea was not demolished, but alive and well in Michigan.

Hate seeing Hemispheres at 9, ouch.

• Like 1

I believe credit goes to Les Claypool for convincing them to bring back Prelude on the Counterparts tour.

Love seeing Shea was not demolished, but alive and well in Michigan.

Hate seeing Hemispheres at 9, ouch.

Shea is right in the middle of downtown Grand Rapids! A friend for far superior computer skills made that for me.

Hemispheres is mostly good, but the awful title track makes it a middle-of-the-road album for me. As for Test for Echo, it's got three greats in its title track, Driven, and Resist. Everything else is pretty substandard. Middle-of-the-road also, but I suppose Hemispheres is slightly better.

I have that whole show on DVD, from the Palace of Auburn Hills... :) And I saw them three days later, in Cincinnati. 'Twas my last Rush show until 2013.

Anyway...I thought the vocal on Prelude was pretty decent in 1994, even if he was obviously straining some. But yeah, I don't see them bringing it back now, either (unless it were just in instrumental capacity- which would be fine by me!).

• Like 1

Eek, as far as title tracks go, I'd rate Hemispheres 2112x better than T4E. Too much vertigo, and reminds me of OJ trial. Its still Rush tho. Interesting us fans have such varying opinions.

Hemispheres is mostly good, but the awful title track makes it a middle-of-the-road album for me.

http://media.giphy.com/media/sGHF7TOrkr13W/giphy.gif

http://i.imgur.com/rug39QK.gif

• Like 2

Hemispheres is mostly good, but the awful title track makes it a middle-of-the-road album for me.

http://media.giphy.com/media/sGHF7TOrkr13W/giphy.gif

http://i.imgur.com/rug39QK.gif

:P :laughing guy:

• Like 2

On practically every CE version of this, Ged always misses the word, STRUGGLE, by being sharp!?!?

To my ears, this seems to have been a problem from Hold Your Fire up to this tour (with things finally straightening out on the Test For Echo tour).

I will add that if you can find it, he did a great job (to me) with this on the San Diego stop on this tour.