Anybody else thinking about skipping this tour?

I really don't want to but I might have to because of financial reasons :(

Fair enough Lerxt. I am partially proud that Rush can command such high prices. But sympathetic towards those that do not want to pay such a cost. TM had 5th row platinum for$875 at MSG that are no longer listed. The 2 NYC shows sold out quickest in 20 years which is cool. But tons of prime seats have been blocked off, and the promoter has not released side/rear seats like they did when Rush were drawing their biggest crowds.

The best seats I ever had were not the 4th row center at TM, but 2nd row side at RTB , slightly behind Neil. Awesome unconstructed close view of the band, from slightly above the stage, as opposed to the floor, where a lot of the view is blocked, even for tall fans like me.

These awesome seats have not been sold in many years. Black curtained, too bad. Since there is such a large demand, it's curious they are being held back now.

• Like 2

Wow...I am completely stunned at some of these comments. First, for you whiners complaining that if they don't just play old material you are out, get real! Even making the stupid assumption that they wanted to do that they can't, Geddy's voice just can't sustain those old songs, yes they can tune down some (like 2112) but doing that for a couple or few songs is doable, but not for a huge portion of the set. That being said, because it is a shorter tour they may do more "oldies" than usual lately, but don't expect a show full of them.

Ticket prices, ok yes they are high, but not grossly so, and while yes they may have some control over it, they don't have complete control. Unlike a lot of the other artists they are being compared to on this thread they are still a current and relevant band, one that is getting many new fans of new generations. They are not has-beens playing state fairs with their greatest hits, they recently put out a phenomenal CD that they played most of live bringing new life to older material with the string section. They are all the original members, unlike the Who and others.

I for one love lots of the newer songs, and the old ones, most of the ones I really want to see are newer that they haven't ever played.

If you are not someone who would drop almost anything to go to a show, why are you on this board?

• Like 1

Wow...I am completely stunned at some of these comments. First, for you whiners complaining that if they don't just play old material you are out, get real! Even making the stupid assumption that they wanted to do that they can't, Geddy's voice just can't sustain those old songs, yes they can tune down some (like 2112) but doing that for a couple or few songs is doable, but not for a huge portion of the set. That being said, because it is a shorter tour they may do more "oldies" than usual lately, but don't expect a show full of them.

Ticket prices, ok yes they are high, but not grossly so, and while yes they may have some control over it, they don't have complete control. Unlike a lot of the other artists they are being compared to on this thread they are still a current and relevant band, one that is getting many new fans of new generations. They are not has-beens playing state fairs with their greatest hits, they recently put out a phenomenal CD that they played most of live bringing new life to older material with the string section. They are all the original members, unlike the Who and others.

I for one love lots of the newer songs, and the old ones, most of the ones I really want to see are newer that they haven't ever played.

If you are not someone who would drop almost anything to go to a show, why are you on this board?

First, if we are calling each other names, for "you bullies" there would be no packed arena shows today without 70s Rush. After them ignoring 70s material on last tour for first 3 hours, some, including me, are expressing frustration with that. There are plenty Rush 70s tunes that can be sung by Geddy. he did well with Circumstances on SnA tour.

Other bands would not get away with ignoring their early influential material. RUSH fans are paying a high price for their loyalty and patience. NYC Prime floor seats are $1000+, lower bowl within a sand wedge of the stage are $500, and the cheapest avail seat is $125, TM resale. Those that live where seats are $50 you are lucky, grab them.

CA is a fine album, but playing 10 off that one last time have some of us wanting more from Kings, 2112 and more hemispheres...much much better albums.

• Like 2

I have been listening to rush for over 20 years. I live in Australia and will be travelling to nyc to see them for probably the first and last time. It's a 7k trip but the experience will be priceless. No better act in the history of rock music.
  • Like 6

That is so cool yyz212. Its too bad they never took off down under. Any thought why their popularity never soared over there? You do get to see silverchair and midnight oil, before they broke up! Wolfmother too!

Yeah it's a perplexing question when they are so well regarded and massively popular in the states and Europe, yet not many people in Aus have even heard of them. I think their managemnt didn't bother pursuing down here, so didn't push for radio play or bother touring. I'm just glad they stayed together long enough so that I can now afford to make it to a show!

Fair enough Lerxt. I am partially proud that Rush can command such high prices. But sympathetic towards those that do not want to pay such a cost. TM had 5th row platinum for$875 at MSG that are no longer listed. The 2 NYC shows sold out quickest in 20 years which is cool. But tons of prime seats have been blocked off, and the promoter has not released side/rear seats like they did when Rush were drawing their biggest crowds.

The best seats I ever had were not the 4th row center at TM, but 2nd row side at RTB , slightly behind Neil. Awesome unconstructed close view of the band, from slightly above the stage, as opposed to the floor, where a lot of the view is blocked, even for tall fans like me.

These awesome seats have not been sold in many years. Black curtained, too bad. Since there is such a large demand, it's curious they are being held back now.

That is bogus sounding, and please make no mistake, just because its what the market will bear doesn't mean I think its reasonable!

Just accounting for inflation, lower bowl seats would now be $40-$50. Yes.. that's it. Now the shows have gotten more elaborate, there's more equipment and all that, but obviously everyone is making more money now on these top tier ventures.

NY is just off the chart for a number of reasons, but there is a similar effect for those close up seats everywhere. I saw an apartment I liked in Manhattan, 2br., for $6,750/mo... NY is Oz. :)

There are bands you can see for less at smaller theaters (e.g. Best Buy Theater in NYC, Electric Factory or TLA in Philly) - but for youngins to see old fart bands - theyre getting priced out and that sucks. And come to think of it, many, even not young and gainfully employed, cant throw $250 down for ticket, beer, parking, etc.

First, if we are calling each other names, for "you bullies" there would be no packed arena shows today without 70s Rush. After them ignoring 70s material on last tour for first 3 hours, some, including me, are expressing frustration with that. There are plenty Rush 70s tunes that can be sung by Geddy. he did well with Circumstances on SnA tour.

Other bands would not get away with ignoring their early influential material. RUSH fans are paying a high price for their loyalty and patience. NYC Prime floor seats are $1000+, lower bowl within a sand wedge of the stage are $500, and the cheapest avail seat is $125, TM resale. Those that live where seats are $50 you are lucky, grab them.

CA is a fine album, but playing 10 off that one last time have some of us wanting more from Kings, 2112 and more hemispheres...much much better albums.

Last tour was the first setlist I looked at and was genuinely disappointed. Thats since 1980.

I don't think any Rush fan if they're paying attention to the current concert climate can deny that Rush tickets are going for a premium, and it's not necessarily some big ticket overlord conspiracy, it's demand. They are more popular than ever, and the word has gotten out that they're one of the best outfits still playing. In a season littered with classic rock arena acts - Aerosmith, Van Halen, AC/DC, U2, Scorpions, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac - Rush has become a prestige concert.

I wonder if a lot of the bitching and whining stems from folks lamenting Rush going mainstream (what with the Rock Hall induction and more press than ever) and being less of a fan-centric band.

In any case, they're getting the prices commanded for the most part. So either Rush nerds make more money these days than ever before, or more folks are clamoring for the same tickets.

Once again, read what I said, yes he did well with circumstances (7 years ago), but his voice can not do a lot of those songs, certainly not a full set worth. Geddy's voice can not withstand lots and lots of old songs continually. Would I love tons and tons of old stuff, certainly, but complaining they they aren't playing enough of them when he simply can not sing that high anymore is just crazy. They do not want to do a bad job at anything they do, thats one of the reasons we love them, and they will not come out and do song after song that he will struggle with. Just won't happen.

Stop complaining about RESALE SCALPED ticked prices, those were not the prices for the tickets, but what people are paying resellers to get them. Not even close to the same thing. The VIP packs that had the first few rows were 300 and 400, which is not at all outrageous. Lady Gaga was 250 for the VIP packs which only included early admission for GA floor, not definite seats in the front.

That is bogus sounding, and please make no mistake, just because its what the market will bear doesn't mean I think its reasonable!

Just accounting for inflation, lower bowl seats would now be $40-$50. Yes.. that's it. Now the shows have gotten more elaborate, there's more equipment and all that, but obviously everyone is making more money now on these top tier ventures.

NY is just off the chart for a number of reasons, but there is a similar effect for those close up seats everywhere. I saw an apartment I liked in Manhattan, 2br., for $6,750/mo... NY is Oz. :)

There are bands you can see for less at smaller theaters (e.g. Best Buy Theater in NYC, Electric Factory or TLA in Philly) - but for youngins to see old fart bands - theyre getting priced out and that sucks. And come to think of it, many, even not young and gainfully employed, cant throw $250 down for ticket, beer, parking, etc.

Not sure what is bogus sounding? I checked TM Platinum for a few different cities, very expensive -

Chicago- lower bowl, 2 sections away - $600

Tampa- 10th row, $585

Seattle- 20th row, $450

LA/ Forum- 3rd row, way on side - $700

Prime center floor seats on broker sites are much more. NYC, anything within two sections of stage is $470 + fees = $500+. Some partially obstructed side views are less.

Rush is a premium event and worth it for me. But for many that is way too much. Even $125 for a rafter, I fully understand the need to sit this one out.

I am not looking for "70s songs continually." After none for three hours on CA, just a balance from all decades is great with me. Ged has sang the 70s tunes with his 80s voice for at least a decade, so not sure why some are making such an issue about them playing 7 or 8 vintage tunes.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

This is the first tour I'm NOT missing! Sounds like there area few Aussies out there, but there were never that many.

On the ticket price question - of course it's a lot of money, but that scalping thing you guys do in the States is what takes it over the top. It costs most people nothing at all nowadays to listen to a band's music or watch their videos, and even when you do pay, it's a fraction of what it was in the before times. People have been rationalising this situation for years by telling musicians that touring is the place they can make money ,along with merch. Guess what - they're right. Ergo, high ticket prices, heaps of questionable merch.

We don't have the official scalping here in Oz so, aside from a handful of eBay tickets and some Pom selling outside the venue, 'face value' is pretty much it. Which is still higher than it used to be for the big shows.

As for set lists ... I reckon Rush are doing it just right. Without new material, there would be no Rush anyway. Seems to me you have Rush with new songs, or no Rush at all.

I love Iron Maiden, and they are doing it right as well. They release and tour new material because without it they are no band. Matter of Life And Death tour saw them play most of that album - next tour was Somewhere Back In Time. All old stuff. I saw this in Sydney and it was one of the best gigs I ever saw. Absolutely killer front to back. Then they release Final Frontier. I saw that tour also - lots of new stuff played. Good show, but obviously not a patch on the previous tour. But what made that previous tour so great was that it was played by a band who are still vital, still creative.

And if you are someone who has seen them many times, it seems odd if you want them to play the same songs each time.

Having said all that, there are some 70s songs I'd really love to see!

I don't think any Rush fan if they're paying attention to the current concert climate can deny that Rush tickets are going for a premium, and it's not necessarily some big ticket overlord conspiracy, it's demand. They are more popular than ever, and the word has gotten out that they're one of the best outfits still playing. In a season littered with classic rock arena acts - Aerosmith, Van Halen, AC/DC, U2, Scorpions, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac - Rush has become a prestige concert.

I wonder if a lot of the bitching and whining stems from folks lamenting Rush going mainstream (what with the Rock Hall induction and more press than ever) and being less of a fan-centric band.

In any case, they're getting the prices commanded for the most part. So either Rush nerds make more money these days than ever before, or more folks are clamoring for the same tickets.

'Ticket overlord conspiracy' you gotta stop making me spit out my water VS!

It would be nice to agree with the sugar plum fairy imagery of the hugely popular band Rush, but the reality is they are a niche band with a loyal following when compared to..... Eagles, U2, Who- have a much larger fanbase, one would expect their tix to be much more expensive.

Case in point was the CA tour, plenty of crowds in the 6 to 9k size. Of the 3 I was lucky to see, one soldout close to show date, the other two were the scariest by far smallest crowds I have ever seen for Rush. Probably more empty seats in those 2 shows than the other 25 I have seen, combined. Its no conspiracy, the fanbase needed a wakeup call....one of the proper magnitude if you catch my spin drift. R41 around here, both shows sold outquickly. Magnitude, boom, quick sellouts. Back in their heyday, Promoters would release more side/rear seats, but obviously in todays changed ticket overrlord world, protecting the "market" value for the moment is more important than adding these seats for sale.

stgaz, very cool you are making the trip over. I dont recall anyone in the thread wanting the same songs, but to give the 70s material at least a fair representation. And good lord, pull a few out that havent seen the light of day lately. If you check out some of their recent setlists, the only 70s songs played were 2112 ( parts), Working Man, LVS and CTTH.

Thats it in four years of touring!

• Like 2

stgaz, very cool you are making the trip over. I dont recall anyone in the thread wanting the same songs, but to give the 70s material at least a fair representation. And good lord, pull a few out that havent seen the light of day lately. If you check out some of their recent setlists, the only 70s songs played were 2112 ( parts), Working Man, LVS and CTTH.

Thats it in four years of touring!

And that's a fair enough point. Perhaps we can all agree that we need Cygnus - The Bringer Of Balance. Now that would make the trip wothwhile!

Well, if it lets some folks sleep better at night, of course it's fine to believe in ticket overlords if that makes them feel better.

Me, I see ALL prestige classic rock outfits drawing more demand. But that's just me.

You can still go see a BOATLOAD of has-beens and fallen formerly ARENA GREAT bands playing the casino circuits for less than a hundred bucks. Only a couple dozen bands from Rush's era remain that can still pull in arena crowds at high prices.

I'm struggling to remember the last time Rush sold out in my neck of the woods. Really struggling. And this includes them playing at a smaller venue (the shed) for years. I am willing to go out on a limb and say we havent had (Philly) an arena sellout (true to the gills sellout) like this since Grace Under Pressure. Edited by lerxt1990

That's a good topic Lerxt. In NY, I think they were a solid sellout until the big break after T4E.

I recall RTB they played 5 shows in NY metro, I recall 4 sold out and 5th was good crowd. R30 & TMT had large crowds, but CA, 2 of 3 shows here were by far the smallest arena crowds I have seen for them. This tour has been the quickest multiple sellouts of this magnitude since CP.

;)

• Like 1