Anybody else thinking about skipping this tour?

I've been a fan for 35 years, seen 'em over 20 times on every tour since Signals and lived the fan-boy RUSH lifestyle (gave that up ages ago), but so far there is nothing compelling me to want to see this tour. Even that it might be the last chance I have.

To me, the set list is going to be a hugely important factor. The last set I really loved was the R30 Tour. The last few tours, even the Time Machine Tour were just OK, I thought the shows were good, but they just didn't play what I wanted to hear, pre PoW material. Lot's of bands are touring now just playing older material, hopefully RUSH will follow suit.

And then there is the ticket price. We've all bitched about it. I feel it's almost criminal. I know how the price BS works and all the why's and how's of the deal, but that doesn't justify anything for me. Simply put, I don't wan't to pay that much for a decent seat....I'm not going to pay what is demanded for a decent seat, and I'm not going to be satisfied unless I'm up close. I've been up close a lot, front row for a few shows, and in the first few for many shows, 'cuz it was easy to get tickets and they didn't cost an arm and a leg before. And I've had not-so-great seats, and up close blows anything else away. That's all there is to it, no comparison.

But as great as it is being up close, I just can't justify the expense now. It's just too much and I'd rather skip this last chance which I guess really doesn't mean as much to me as it used to, than to get raped by a ticket broker, Ticketmaster, and ultimately the band I've loved for years.

Anybody else feel this way?

• Like 4

The last tour is something I won't miss. I'll take any seat I can afford to be in the arena because when it is over it's over. I seem to like their entire catalog so I'm going probably more than once. :)
  • Like 3

OG, I agree with a lot of your points. I like all Rush material, but The CA setlist, ignoring the 70s for three hours, was asking fans too much. I Couldn't imagine another band still playing that was around back then getting away with that. But it's Rush, I still go.

Regarding prices, I also agree it's insane. This is nothing new for Rush fans. Except with the magnitude of this tour, there are more sell outs, and the expensive prices have climbed further from the stage. I disagree with those that say this is it, but Rush will one day soon no longer tour. I compare that to a sport I love, hockey. I had a chance to go today, get a decent seat for $80. Much less than Rush seats, but it's still $80. But there will always be hockey games available to go to. But not Rush concerts. And seats should get cheaper if willing to wait until a day of so before the show.

• Like 1

I am there. Too many signs this could be it.

Or it will be for awhile.

IMO this is the last time most of us will see them

• Like 1

I never thought of skipping the tour all together. I just cant afford to see multiple shows like in the past. I just wish "good tickets" would have fallen into fans hands and not the "open scalper infested market". In the past i was able to get 10th row or better for under $250 a copy. Edited by glennb2112
  • Like 2

Not only am I absolutely going, but I'm going to multiple shows. I love this band and this may be my last chance to ever see them, and I don't want to miss out. Even if they end up playing some songs I don't like that much, oh well, it will just make the rest of the songs sound better!

...but The CA setlist, ignoring the 70s for three hours, was asking fans too much. I Couldn't imagine another band still playing that was around back then getting away with that. But it's Rush, I still go.

From a lot being said aboot this R40 tour I think the band received this type of feedback and the 70's material will not be ignored. It even seems the 70's will get a renewed focus. :)

• Like 2

I have a somewhat similar mind set. I've seen RUSH 50 + times since Signals 1982. I am still going to see them in Boston but I am going to wait until I see what the set list consists of before decide how much I am going to spend on concert tickets. The majority of CA on the last tour was overkill for me but the heavy 80's period was great! I want to see RUSH go old school in the set list and on stage. Lose the stage props and replace with AMPS.

I may skip the tour for two reasons and retire from following the group indefinitely:

1) Inadequate setlist (by my standards)- Omission of historically "important" songs from Fly-By-Night to P/G, or inclusion of a significant number of songs from the post-'97 era.

2) The band's surreptitious leaks that this is indeed their last tour has resulted in grossly distorted ticket resale prices. I won't be paying +$2k to sit within the first two rows of the stage for the reason that Rush- and nobody but Rush- is responsible for this dirty manipulation. R40 should really be called "A means to an End" tour.

• Like 1

Refusing to go, simply because one is dissatisfied with the rate of inflation for a increasingly rare product, makes sense from a financial perspective. Refusing to go because one wishes it was 1983 again, seems like a difficult perspective to take. Everything on the planet is more expensive than it used to be.
  • Like 3

I don't care what they play, I would still go to see them. The ticket prices do suck but what can you do? If you want to see them you'll pay it. I can't imagine deliberately not going to see them if you were able to especially since it may be the last tour.

I've been a fan for 35 years, seen 'em over 20 times on every tour since Signals and lived the fan-boy RUSH lifestyle (gave that up ages ago), but so far there is nothing compelling me to want to see this tour. Even that it might be the last chance I have.

To me, the set list is going to be a hugely important factor. The last set I really loved was the R30 Tour. The last few tours, even the Time Machine Tour were just OK, I thought the shows were good, but they just didn't play what I wanted to hear, pre PoW material. Lot's of bands are touring now just playing older material, hopefully RUSH will follow suit.

And then there is the ticket price. We've all bitched about it. I feel it's almost criminal. I know how the price BS works and all the why's and how's of the deal, but that doesn't justify anything for me. Simply put, I don't wan't to pay that much for a decent seat....I'm not going to pay what is demanded for a decent seat, and I'm not going to be satisfied unless I'm up close. I've been up close a lot, front row for a few shows, and in the first few for many shows, 'cuz it was easy to get tickets and they didn't cost an arm and a leg before. And I've had not-so-great seats, and up close blows anything else away. That's all there is to it, no comparison.

But as great as it is being up close, I just can't justify the expense now. It's just too much and I'd rather skip this last chance which I guess really doesn't mean as much to me as it used to, than to get raped by a ticket broker, Ticketmaster, and ultimately the band I've loved for years.

Anybody else feel this way?

NO. Name me a better value for the $, please. We're talking the greatest rock band in all of civilization, who plays for damn near 3 hours, and we have the chance to be alive and see them, while they're still alive and see them. The value of this is almost beyond any $ amount.

IMHO, and I'm being really honest here, your rant is with our currency being devalued, not with the value of the band.

• Like 3

I'm traveling from Australia to see Rush for the first time ever (Rush has never toured Australia). To read that someone who has had the privilege of seeing Rush TWENTY times and is now having a bit of a sook because tickets are a bit expensive and they don't play the songs that person wants to hear is astonishing.

Bit of perspective mate.

• Like 10

I don't like the prices but I have to go. I foolishly did not really appreciate Rush until about 2 or 3 years ago and am now a fanatic. This means that I missed out on all those years of greatness as they were happening, and now I can only enjoy them from a rearview mirror perspective. I can't bring back the Hemispheres tour. I can't bring back the Moving Pictures tour. This is what I have now. And I have missed too much as it is; I can't miss this too.
  • Like 5

Not to make any rash judgements but

ARE YOU NUTS?!? :crazy:

OK so I've seen them "only" 10 times and apparently aren't as jaded as you. But at the risk of outing myself as a total loser jobwise, I make a whopping $9 an hour, and between the ticket, hotel, and bus fare (yes I said bus, 200 miles each way), I'll be spending about $400 on this trip. And never even thought about missing it because there may never be another one. Which was my first thought when the tour was announced, "this might be it... I have to get there".

If the resale prices are stunning you, see what's left at face through ticketmaster. If it's just that you're being elitist about what seats you'll accept, you should have been online when the tickets went onsale instead of moaning now.

As for newer material, I guess we have opposite perspective. I LOVE it that :rush: didn't become just a nostalgia band and kept playing new material every time out. I will say that 9 songs from 1 album, even a great one IMHO like CA, is a bit overboard.

Which would indicate that this is the tour you MUST see. No new album=fewer songs from CA=more room for old tunes. And since they played 4 from PoW each night you likely will have less from that to deal with too. If they play 5 from CA and 2 from PoW, that's 6 more slots open this tour for other albums. Think about it.

• Like 3