Instruments

Christo

With all the talk of Neil bringing out the old Slingerland drumset to play the old stuff, how cool would it be for each band member to do something similar? Alex with some old PRSs, Strats, etc. Geddy with Wals, Steinbergers and Rickenbackers.

Whatever they played originally (i.e. the first time they played each song live) - that's what they should play on this tour.

A logistical nightmare obviously, but would be interesting to see...

Would love to see Ged bring the Rick out, don't want to see him anywhere near any Wals or Steinbergers though
  • Like 9

Well....if the rumor IS true..it's a DW knock off of the Slingerland set.... Geddy probably won't do the double neck because the thing purportedly weighs as much as a dump truck.....

The Steinberger is probably the only thing that wouldn't hurt him... I think Alex has been using most of his old stuff except the double neck.

Well....if the rumor IS true..it's a DW knock off of the Slingerland set.... Geddy probably won't do the double neck because the thing purportedly weighs as much as a dump truck.....

The Steinberger is probably the only thing that wouldn't hurt him... I think Alex has been using most of his old stuff except the double neck.

They both could have had copies made of the doublenecks that didn't weigh so much. Geddy could also have a Ric copy made to feel and sound more like his jazz bass. 99.9% of the fans would never know the difference.

I can't hear any different on all the instruments. Geddy kick ass on them all!

I agree, he does- but really, you can't hear any difference in the instrument he's playing on Power Windows or Hold Your Fire versus Moving Pictures? I hear a huge difference, tonally.

Ya, when Geddy retired the Rick back in '83, RUSH's music lost alot of low end BALLS for the next 10 years until he came to his sense and broke out the Fender.

I love the synth-era albums too- but the bass sound was very different. I think he was also playing in a generally higher register on the mid to late 80s catalog, too.

I can't hear any different on all the instruments. Geddy kick ass on them all!

I agree, he does- but really, you can't hear any difference in the instrument he's playing on Power Windows or Hold Your Fire versus Moving Pictures? I hear a huge difference, tonally.

Not really...

There’s no way Neil is going to play on an old Slingerland kit. Who started that rumor and who believed it?! He changed his drums over the years for a reason and there’s just no way he’s going to go backwards. Alex currently plays Gibson Les Pauls (like he played in the early days) and Paul Reed Smiths. He also still plays a white Gibson ES-335 semi-hollow body and I think it’s the same one he got in the mid 70s. Geddy did play a Rick on PTB on the Snakes & Arrows tour. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did that again on this tour. It’s doubtful that he’ll play a Steinberger or a Wal.

There’s no way Neil is going to play on an old Slingerland kit. Who started that rumor and who believed it?! He changed his drums over the years for a reason and there’s just no way he’s going to go backwards. Alex currently plays Gibson Les Pauls (like he played in the early days) and Paul Reed Smiths. He also still plays a white Gibson ES-335 semi-hollow body and I think it’s the same one he got in the mid 70s. Geddy did play a Rick on PTB on the Snakes & Arrows tour. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did that again on this tour. It’s doubtful that he’ll play a Steinberger or a Wal.

The "rumor" was one that the owner of DW started...that his people were making Neil a kit that LOOKED like the old Slingerland kit...not playing an old Slingerland kit.... Lorne "dispelled" that rumor...but purportedly things that were referencing that were pulled from different sites...so it's suspicious...who knows what we'll see... MY guess is that Neil's so "anal" about how he does things that I'd be hard pressed to actually see this come to fruition... I could be wrong..but knowing his disposition, it doesn't seem overly likely.

As far as the guitars? Who really knows that either...I think the double necks are just too heavy unless they used them for MAYBE one song....I had a friend in one of my bands years back that had a single Rick bass, and that thing was REALLY heavy....

• Like 1

The "rumor" was one that the owner of DW started...that his people were making Neil a kit that LOOKED like the old Slingerland kit...not playing an old Slingerland kit.... Lorne "dispelled" that rumor...but purportedly things that were referencing that were pulled from different sites...so it's suspicious...who knows what we'll see... MY guess is that Neil's so "anal" about how he does things that I'd be hard pressed to actually see this come to fruition... I could be wrong..but knowing his disposition, it doesn't seem overly likely.

As far as the guitars? Who really knows that either...I think the double necks are just too heavy unless they used them for MAYBE one song....I had a friend in one of my bands years back that had a single Rick bass, and that thing was REALLY heavy....

I don't see Neil reverting to his old setup anytime soon... The interview was probably pulled because John Good seemed stoned out of his mind and just blabbering jibberish..... Alex mentioned last year that he was working with Gibson on a line of custom double-necks!! Hopefully he'll have one made for Geddy too! :)

I am not a guitar player so i am wondering why do people mention about the Rick's are heavy?? Seriously? I know Geddy is not the most masculine fellow out there but c'mon, strap on the Rick and tear it up like you used to! Geez!

I am not a guitar player so i am wondering why do people mention about the Rick's are heavy?? Seriously? I know Geddy is not the most masculine fellow out there but c'mon, strap on the Rick and tear it up like you used to! Geez!

And that's the key, isn't it? Tear it up like you used to. He's sixty-something, not 30-something or even 40-something. He physically can't tear it up like he used to.

• Like 2

It's an ES-355 and he better bring it on tour (or one of the new AL-355 models if he is worried that the original might get damaged). I hope Lerxst sticks with the Gibson's and a PRS here and there. I have enjoyed Geddy's sound recently with the Fender Jazz basses but seeing the Rick again would be awesome. I know very little about drums (they all sound the same to me other than the cymbals to which I can tell differences) so I don't care what Neil plays other than leaving any electronic drums at home. Triggering horns from his kit was rather annoying to me.

There's been talk of Neil bringing out the kit he had when he was a kid? For Rush's final tour????

Hope they bring out those quad-neck guitars!

9600d1365472812-rush_guitars.jpg

Ya I sure do miss them ol quads.. But alas they were from the long gone 70's.

What I don't really miss though is when Geddy used to hit them keyboard notes with his penis in the middle of a bass solo ..Alex flicking picks at the audience with his nipples.. Them were some craaaazy shows. !!

• Like 3

There's been talk of Neil bringing out the kit he had when he was a kid? For Rush's final tour????

the old "Stewart" kit! hahahaha!

What's funny is a friend of mine from grade school had a red sparkle Stewart kit way back (circa 1975-77-ish)

Now that's just crazy talk.

No doubt. Anyone that gives it an ounce of credit doesn't know the band. He doesn't even own that kit any more

Hope they bring out those quad-neck guitars!

9600d1365472812-rush_guitars.jpg

Ya I sure do miss them ol quads.. But alas they were from the long gone 70's.

What I don't really miss though is when Geddy used to hit them keyboard notes with his penis in the middle of a bass solo ..Alex flicking picks at the audience with his nipples.. Them were some craaaazy shows. !!

Now that is a show that I would pay good money to see. :LOL: