The Official Ramones Thread

The Cat 3

I wonder what it is?

I mean, I honestly can't put my finger on it.

There is something about the music of the Ramones that really speaks to me.

Perhaps part of it is the whole "music by misfits made for misfits" thing.

It goes beyond that for me.

For nearly 40 years their music has lifted me up when I'm feeling down.

It is pure punk, not angry but rather hopeful and life affirming.

Their music is timeless really.

A great tip of the hat to the music that came before them while still remaining fiercely original.

After all these years their music is still fresh and relevant.

I agree! We had so much fun in our house when our kids discovered the Ramones in middle school. The music is so high energy, and really is timeless. Lots of good memories of playing "Rockaway Beach" and "We're a Happy Family!" :) :)

• Like 5

We had so much fun in our house when our kids discovered the Ramones in middle school. Lots of good memories of playing [...] "We're a Happy Family!" :) :)

Yay, that is hilarious! :D

• Like 3

The Ramones I think are pure punk. When I got really turned on to punk for a short period around record store day last year, I couldn't help but buy a Ramones record. It was Road To Ruin, which is just perfect punk track after perfect punk track nterspersed with a couple of acoustic experiments or ballads things for the more open minded listener. Something about punk itself really is just so energizing. Like how a lot of big metal heads attribute their ability to get through each day to the fact that they always have metal to turn back to, I get more of that kind of vibe from punk and the mounds of music it's influenced. Of course, it doesn't hold true with all punk bands, or even all punk songs and albums, but certain bands like The Ramones know exactly how to bring out that quality of the genre that I find so genuine and appealing. They also have one of the coolest logos and rock band t-shirts of all time ever, which is just the tip of the iceberg with their perfect image. I wouldn't call myself a huge Ramones fan, or even a huge punk fan, but both The Ramones and the genre the helped kick off have a special place in my heart.
  • Like 5

I wonder what it is?

A great tip of the hat to the music that came before them while still remaining fiercely original.

I agree! We had so much fun in our house when our kids discovered the Ramones in middle school. The music is so high energy, and really is timeless. Lots of good memories of playing "Rockaway Beach" and "We're a Happy Family!" :) :)

Ha ha that is great! I used to sing We're a Happy Family to my kids when they were little and they would sing along - of course we changed the lyrics a little!

• Like 2

http://f.email.americanexpress.com/i/45/268935401/ABC190131_FCG_630x7403.jpg

FOUR CHORDS AND A GUN

American Express® Cardmembers can purchase Front Of The Line® Presale tickets* to Four Chords and a Gun between NOW and Thursday, March 7 at 10pm.

Four Chords and a Gun is an intense black comedy about the infamous punk band the Ramones written by John Ross Bowie (“The Big Bang Theory”, “Speechless”). The play reveals the drama-filled 1979 recording session that led to The Ramones album, End of the Century, produced by the eccentric gun wielding Phil Spector. The Canadian premiere of this sometimes funny, sometimes wrenching, always gritty, story of how the world’s greatest Punk album came to be is directed by long-time Toronto Star theatre critic and Stratford Festival director Richard Ouzounian.

To learn more about Four Chords and a Gun,

Click Here

*This play is not endorsed by Phil Spector or the Ramones. It is a fictionalized account inspired by a true-life event

• Like 2

http://f.email.americanexpress.com/i/45/268935401/ABC190131_FCG_630x7403.jpg

FOUR CHORDS AND A GUN

American Express® Cardmembers can purchase Front Of The Line® Presale tickets* to Four Chords and a Gun between NOW and Thursday, March 7 at 10pm.

Four Chords and a Gun is an intense black comedy about the infamous punk band the Ramones written by John Ross Bowie (“The Big Bang Theory”, “Speechless”). The play reveals the drama-filled 1979 recording session that led to The Ramones album, End of the Century, produced by the eccentric gun wielding Phil Spector. The Canadian premiere of this sometimes funny, sometimes wrenching, always gritty, story of how the world’s greatest Punk album came to be is directed by long-time Toronto Star theatre critic and Stratford Festival director Richard Ouzounian.

To learn more about Four Chords and a Gun,

Click Here

*This play is not endorsed by Phil Spector or the Ramones. It is a fictionalized account inspired by a true-life event

Looks very interesting, thanks for posting it here.
  • Like 1

I wonder what it is?

And after all these years it still speaks to me on an almost spiritual level.

What a strange prayer, indeed, it is to thank God for the Ramones and how their music has ministered to my life.

Joey Ramone once said...

"The Ramones own the fountain of youth. Experiencing us is like having the fountain of youth."

There is something to that...

...when I listen to their music I get the feeling that it is ok to be myself and not care what the world around me thinks...I can do what I want, I'm free to be myself and, as a matter of fact, that is just fine.

It is much like their song says...

"I have the strength to endure - And all the love so pure - I have the strength to endure."

Thats how I feel about The Beatles. and by extension, RUSH.

MhAtB9Y.jpg

• Like 1