What will be the opening song?

LocalsBandGuy

I really hope Headlong Flight isn't the opener. Such an incredibly overrated song; I honestly don't get the hype over it whatsoever. It's waaaaaay longer than it needs to be and doesn't really go anywhere.

I actually agree with you that it's a little long and repetitive. But it is a high energy rocking song and I think that would make it a good opener. And personally, I always prefer to get songs I'm not looking forward to hearing out of the way early (like "Tom Sawyer" on the Vapor Trails tour; yippee, something different at the end!).

• Like 1

Headlong Flight???

There's just no way a CA song is gonna open the R40 tour. :)

There's a fair bit of logic actually.

1. If the rumors of ending with Neil playing his early kit for the early songs is true it makes sense to start the gig with the newest material.

2. Headlong Flight is an absolute cranker of a song - it's a poke in the eye to anyone who starts talking about how old the guys are. What better way to prove they've still got it by opening with such a rip-snorter?

3. Follow it up with a classic like Spirit of Radio for a great 1-2 opening punch.

The opener has to appeal to the casual fan, not the diehard. It's going to be a song everyone knows. For R40 anyway.

Listened to "Headlong Flight" last night and I now think it would be the perfect opener. Get the show off to a rockin' start and also set the theme of looking back on all the great times of younger days. Add some moving lighting rigs behind them and a video montage of their whole history and it would make a very dramatic start to the show.

In any event, I just hope it's not something predictable that they've opened with before. For this tour, it should be something special and epic.

Yes! And they could extend the intro - Geddy comes out on his own, does that opening riff and plays around with it a bit, Neil then joins him which builds it a bit and finally Alex comes out and they all launch into the song proper.

Goosebumps just thinking about it... :ebert:

That would be great.

On past tours they’ve made some odd choices for their opener IMHO. I personally always hope for an opening song that starts with a bang. For me, Limelight and Subdivisions just don’t start with a bang. I also hope that they don’t repeat the R30 opener and do a historical medley. Maybe they’ll do that for the set 2 opener.

I think Caravan would be a great opener. I can imagine the intro part starting at the end of the intro video. The venue is still dark and then bang! The song kicks in and we’re off to the races! I also think that The Analog Kid, Far Cry, or One Little Victory would be great openers because they start with a bang. Realistically, I can see them opening with something like 2112. That’s my best guess at the moment.

Is Vegas taking bets on this?

Edited by TheBluePhoenix

IMHO no way Tom Sawyer gets the opening spot on this tour. It is their best known song. It will be an encore or something other than the opening.

I think TSOR or 2112 would be a better opening.

Headlong Flight (remember...you read it here first!!)

I stand firmly by my prediction. Also wouldn't be surprised if it was the only CA song performed.

Please God, let that be the case!

• Like 2

In the back of my mind I'm hoping for either Finding My Way (and not as a a medley) or Bastille Day.....it's a "celebration of 40+ years" why would they start with something from the latest album?

Finding My Way started a LOT of early concerts, as did Bastille Day... I think the tune that started shows after Bastille Day was 2112.....

In the back of my mind I'm hoping for either Finding My Way (and not as a a medley) or Bastille Day.....it's a "celebration of 40+ years" why would they start with something from the latest album?

So they can work their way backward more or less, ending with all classic stuff. Also, if the 2 drum kit rumor is true, they will likely get the newer stuff out of the way early.

So they can work their way backward more or less, ending with all classic stuff. Also, if the 2 drum kit rumor is true, they will likely get the newer stuff out of the way early.

Has nothing to do with that....Pink Floyd started with either Echoes or Shine On during their 1987-88 tour...then went RIGHT to the new stuff, and ended with the old stuff in the second set.

Has nothing to do with that....Pink Floyd started with either Echoes or Shine On during their 1987-88 tour...then went RIGHT to the new stuff, and ended with the old stuff in the second set.

It was Shine On usually (Echoes only made a handful of appearances...could be as few as 5 or less). They more or less followed that pattern on the '94 tour and Gilmour did the same last time he toured. But, either way, those were a completely different type of show, not intended to be a total career retrospective.

Yeah they only played Echoes for a handful of gigs at the start of the tour. Its not a very good opening number for a big arena spectacular.

They went to Shine On after that and never looked back. Quite frankly the versions of Echoes were not very good.

Yeah they only played Echoes for a handful of gigs at the start of the tour. Its not a very good opening number for a big arena spectacular.

They went to Shine On after that and never looked back. Quite frankly the versions of Echoes were not very good.

Except for Wright messing up the lyrics..the Philly show on Sept. 19 was pretty damn good! (and I got to see Echoes live!)

Edited by Jaminbenb

It was Shine On usually (Echoes only made a handful of appearances...could be as few as 5 or less). They more or less followed that pattern on the '94 tour and Gilmour did the same last time he toured. But, either way, those were a completely different type of show, not intended to be a total career retrospective.

Ok "expert"! :popcorn:

Has nothing to do with that....The Glorified Gilmour Solo Band started with either Echoes or Shine On during their 1987-88 tour...then went RIGHT to the new stuff, and ended with the old stuff in the second set.

Sorry for the edit, but The Floyd ended in 1983, as great as Gilmour is...Rush fans would never appreciate the band continuing without Neil.

Ok "expert"! :popcorn:

Besides...Rush and Floyd are completely different in almost every way (they both have lasers and videos...that's about it). Apples and oranges.

And, anyhow...it's all speculation at this point, isn't it? Anything can happen :cool:

Except for Wright messing up the lyrics..the Philly show on Sept. 19 was pretty damn good! (and I got to see Echoes live!)

Yep. Big time train wreck there. Gilmour ascribed it to unseasoned musicians but I dont know. The whole piece just didnt work as an opener.

We havent heard them open with 2112 Overture in a loooooooong time. Its usually at the end, so I'm thinking they will move that to the front. My gut however says it will be an Overture of greatest hits like they opened the R30 tour with. We will know soon!

Headlong Flight (remember...you read it here first!!)

I stand firmly by my prediction. Also wouldn't be surprised if it was the only CA song performed.

Please God, let that be the case!

AMEN. Preach on Sheldon