What will be the opening song?

LocalsBandGuy

One would hope some kind of R40 medley.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question that is well covered. This R40 medly, this is a thing? Is it just an idea or concept?

They did an R30 medley on the 30th anniversary tour. It was one of their more epic reworkings of some classic tunes all strung together.

• Like 2

big money

That would be pretty cool; I've always felt they should open with it more often. Great way to start the HYF tour Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Listened to "Headlong Flight" last night and I now think it would be the perfect opener. Get the show off to a rockin' start and also set the theme of looking back on all the great times of younger days. Add some moving lighting rigs behind them and a video montage of their whole history and it would make a very dramatic start to the show.

In any event, I just hope it's not something predictable that they've opened with before. For this tour, it should be something special and epic.

Bastille Day, Anthem, Something for Nothing. Any 70s song that hasn't been played in ages will blow the door off the joint!
  • Like 1

One would hope some kind of R40 medley.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question that is well covered. This R40 medly, this is a thing? Is it just an idea or concept?

They did an R30 medley on the 30th anniversary tour. It was one of their more epic reworkings of some classic tunes all strung together.

Here's the R30 medley from their Madison Square Garden show...

Well it won't be Subdivisions that's for sure ;)

You can't really say that for sure. Bastille Day, 2112, The Spirit of Radio, Force Ten, and Dreamline have all opened on consecutive tours. And Subdivisions kicked major a** opening up last tour. You never know. Personally, I think it would work well opening the second set. :)

• Like 1

Garden Road

Listened to "Headlong Flight" last night and I now think it would be the perfect opener. Get the show off to a rockin' start and also set the theme of looking back on all the great times of younger days. Add some moving lighting rigs behind them and a video montage of their whole history and it would make a very dramatic start to the show.

In any event, I just hope it's not something predictable that they've opened with before. For this tour, it should be something special and epic.

Yes! And they could extend the intro - Geddy comes out on his own, does that opening riff and plays around with it a bit, Neil then joins him which builds it a bit and finally Alex comes out and they all launch into the song proper.

Goosebumps just thinking about it... :ebert:

• Like 1

Doubt they will open with a medley.

I'd be suprised if they will rehash the R30 medley thing...at least not as an opener.

I could see them doing something like that maybe later in the show though.

New World Man, FBN or 2112 would all be great openers.

• Like 1

I really hope Headlong Flight isn't the opener. Such an incredibly overrated song; I honestly don't get the hype over it whatsoever. It's waaaaaay longer than it needs to be and doesn't really go anywhere.
  • Like 2

Headlong Flight???

There's just no way a CA song is gonna open the R40 tour. :)

There's a fair bit of logic actually.

1. If the rumors of ending with Neil playing his early kit for the early songs is true it makes sense to start the gig with the newest material.

2. Headlong Flight is an absolute cranker of a song - it's a poke in the eye to anyone who starts talking about how old the guys are. What better way to prove they've still got it by opening with such a rip-snorter?

3. Follow it up with a classic like Spirit of Radio for a great 1-2 opening punch.

• Like 1

I still think Headlong Flight would be perfect...

I listened to it a few times today and have changed my mind. It would make a good opener.