Social Media: Houzz, Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIN, Google+, Instagram

sundog

I'm curious about your other social media activity -

Which do you use?

My first online connection was here at TRF. I had very little interest in online media prior to joining here.

Mostly I use Facebook, but since there is another thread about FB, I left it out of here - feel free to talk about it as well though if you think it will add to the conversation.

I have recently revisited my myspace page - but it's mostly TRFers that I'm connected to - and it's very music driven now. Not sure if I'll log back in or not.

I have a Houzz page, that I hardly use personally but use for business much more now.

A Pinterest that I use regularly - both for work and for personal. (separate accounts)

I have a Twitter - but honestly - I forget to tweet! I don't think I need it to be updated with my FB statuses, so yeah - it's there. :eh:

My LinkedIN is strictly business. I keep it that way on purpose - and try to remember to keep building connections to grow my lighting business.

There's Google+ that is trying to compete with FB but I only have it since I got an android phone and had to get the google play store app.

There is so much - Instagram, like Twitter - I often forget to use. And my followers mostly are the same friends I have on FB - so they get to see the same posts twice - and I get to see theirs twice often enough.

Our children can't imagine a world without internet - or instant connectivity.

Do we really need to be this connected?

Where does it end?

Good, Bad or Indifferent?

While I like to think I am a private person - I guess I'm really not - I suppose if I haven't been careful - my entire life for the last 10 years can be found online.

Now - I think I'm scared. :blink:

I am on facebook but rarely use it. As for the other stuff I really know very little if anything about them... :blink:
  • Like 1

I have a Twitter account but never use it. I don't think I've signed in there for years. Seemed like a real waste of time and really impersonal. I also had a MySpace page for myself and my former band, but that's been taken down now I'm sure. I am on Facebook every day, and have quite few family/friends over there. That's really the only one I use. I'm on several other instruments forums. The Gear Page and Talkbass, Strat Talk. I'm also on several aquarium forums, since it's something I'm interested in.
  • Like 1

I'm on LinkedIn, but I don't really use it at all. I joined it when I was job-searching several years ago.

And that's it, really. I don't think of TRF as a social network, per se. It's a different kind of online community, as are all other similarly-organized fan forums, to my mind.

I like it here. And that's enough for me. :)

• Like 2

I don't use social media... guess I'm an old dinosaur.

My kind of old dinosaur. I only have the facebook thing because my son set it up for me. The rest of the stuff I wouldn't even know them if they hit me upside the head... :codger:
  • Like 2

Interesting responses. No it's not strictly for women, but since I was in the FB thread, in the Women's Forum, I just created it whilst I was here - one of the Mods or Admins can move it to RS if they so desire - it might get more hits from the general public. :huh:
  • Like 2

I used to use Facebook, but I recently deleted my account, so now this forum is the only online thing I go on regularly.

Except you can never really delete an account on FB. The only thing that really annoys me about it.

• Like 1

I used to use Facebook, but I recently deleted my account, so now this forum is the only online thing I go on regularly.

Except you can never really delete an account on FB. The only thing that really annoys me about it.

I am so ingrained in FB - it's kinda sick.

I have so much history recorded there. Photo albums, Events - it's completely intertwined into my life - and I don't even mind. My closest friends are far away, and it's how we stay connected. :heart: (TBH - my closest friends started here at TRF and expanded to FB.) They are my family I choose to love, not forced by blood.

• Like 1

I have so much history recorded there. Photo albums, Events - it's completely intertwined into my life - and I don't even mind. My closest friends are far away, and it's how we stay connected. :heart: (TBH - my closest friends started here at TRF and expanded to FB.) They are my family I choose to love, not forced by blood.

Well they always say not to post anything online that you wouldn't want to be used against you in a court of law. :LOL: I think social media is a great thing as long as it doesn't take the place of life off-line.

• Like 1

Well they always say not to post anything online that you wouldn't want to be used against you in a court of law. :LOL: I think social media is a great thing as long as it doesn't take the place of life off-line.

So what you are saying is that you're supposed to have a life off-line too?... :)

So what you are saying is that you're supposed to have a life off-line too?... :)

In an ideal world. :LOL:

• Like 2

My main thing is Facebook; I got an account about 10 years ago to talk to my son in college and all his friends "friended" me, they thought it was so funny that a mom was on, it was unusual at the time. I mostly use it for family--my sisters and 2 of my kids live spread out all over the country so it's a nice way to share photos and keep in touch. This is the first forum I have joined (except for one about my daughter's OCD which is more like an information thing) and TRF is GREAT! :) :) I joined to find out some stuff about the R40 tour but everyone is so nice and there are so many interesting discussions it is a fun place to be.
  • Like 2

What's Houzz?

I was just about to post exactly the same question- I have never heard of it. :huh:

Then again, I have never been accused of being the hippest cat in the world, or anything...as I'm sure you can imagine. :P

I have a Facebook page. I use it wisely. I have about 40 "friends" = relatives and friends whom I see in real life.

I wouldn't go near Twitter if you put a gun to my head...... [vomit]. If I had my way, it would be banned, disconnected, and crucified.

Facebook and The Rush Forum are all I need....... :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 2

What's Houzz?

I was just about to post exactly the same question- I have never heard of it. :huh:

Then again, I have never been accused of being the hippest cat in the world, or anything...as I'm sure you can imagine. :P

http://www.houzz.com/

Houzz is for people who like home improvement.

Basically, here in North America it's taking off like crazy in the designer market. People that are building or remodeling to get ideas.

It's incredible.

you want small kitchen ideas - BOOM, pictures of small kitchens. Business pros can "tag" the items they sell in the photos to show you how to buy it, how much approx, and other details. Like looking at a magazine, but with more information and you can choose what you want to see.

Closet ideas?

Kitchen

It will blow your mind, at least it did mine. 2 years ago a customer mentioned it to me. I've since created a houzz page for the Lighting Showroom that I manage. We upload pictures of our lighting in the customer's home - with their permission of course. We send in a photographer to shoot their home, at a time convenient for them and we add them to our page. I then link the pictures to our Pinterest page, creating "Pins" ~ we are trying to capture people in their favourite social media, and not miss them.

My company's Houzz page:

http://www.houzz.com/pro/primelightingdesign/prime-lighting-design-inc

Our Pinterest:

https://www.pinterest.com/primeld/

Our Website is really kind of boring comparatively - we do the fun stuff on our social media.

http://primelightingdesign.com/

Message boards, forums were social media before the label 'social media' came to be... 10+ years ago it was message boards such as this, and Myspace. those were -and still are- a way for me to reach out to people. To communicate. To connect.

I have ( I think?) a MySpace. haven't logged into it in many years. i'm curious if i still can!

As soon as FB opened their doors to the general public i signed up. It was a way for me to keep in touch with my daughter who was attending University at that time in Toronto (I'm in Michigan - USA). Texting wasn't a thing like it is now, and international txt &/or talk was EXPENSIVE so it was a prefect way for us to communicate.

I pretty much have FB glued to my hip. It how i keep in touch with my tribe. It's how i speak my truth. it's how i gain information, news. it turns me on to things i never would've known about (perhaps) otherwise.

I'd say Instagram & Pinterest is a close 2nd to what i pay attention to often. I have found some awesome recipes from Pinterest.

I have a Twitter and most of what i tweet is what i'm listening to on Pandora Radio :LOL: once in a while i'll retweet stuff.

Google+ exists, but i'm rarely ever there.

that's it pretty much. I know my daughters are huge Snap Chat users... and Tumblr and other stuff i'm sure that i'm completely clueless of! :LOL:

• Like 1

What's Houzz?

http://www.houzz.com/

Houzz is for people who like home improvement.

Basically, here in North America it's taking off like crazy in the designer market. People that are building or remodeling to get ideas.

It's incredible.

you want small kitchen ideas - BOOM, pictures of small kitchens. Business pros can "tag" the items they sell in the photos to show you how to buy it, how much approx, and other details. Like looking at a magazine, but with more information and you can choose what you want to see.

Closet ideas?

Kitchen

It will blow your mind, at least it did mine. 2 years ago a customer mentioned it to me. I've since created a houzz page for the Lighting Showroom that I manage. We upload pictures of our lighting in the customer's home - with their permission of course. We send in a photographer to shoot their home, at a time convenient for them and we add them to our page. I then link the pictures to our Pinterest page, creating "Pins" ~ we are trying to capture people in their favourite social media, and not miss them.

My company's Houzz page:

http://www.houzz.com/pro/primelightingdesign/prime-lighting-design-inc

Our Pinterest:

https://www.pinterest.com/primeld/

Our Website is really kind of boring comparatively - we do the fun stuff on our social media.

http://primelightingdesign.com/

I learn something new every day. :)

• Like 1