Do kids play outside where you live?

Lost In Xanadu

Seriously that seems to be a thing of the past around here. There are handfuls of kids here and there, but nothing like when I grew up. It was in the 60s this weekend and I asked my daughter to head outside with her friends... she said she tried and they were all busy. Cheerleader camp, basketball, etc etc. Seems like a lot of parents schedule every second of the kids weekend.

I've seen a lot of kids come thru football, and I am really wondering if these kids will be ready for life on their own without mom and dad to tell them what to do with themselves

• Like 4

There are handfuls of kids here and there, but nothing like when I grew up.

This^^^ in my neighborhood. We were out constantly when I was a kid. My neighborhood growing up was full of kids around my age too. Kids would also ride bikes to other neighborhoods and play with other kids and they would ride to ours. What a great time... :sigh: :codger:
  • Like 3

There are definitely kids outside when the weather is nice. I live in an area that is predominantly Indian and Pakistani. When the weather is good, the kids are out riding their bikes and playing like when I grew up in the 80's.
  • Like 2

All the time in my neighborhood when it's warm, which in Iowa you never know. It got close to 80 today so I hear. One of the elementary schools is a couple blocks away from my house and it's a nicer area of town, so yeah, lots of kids and people walking their dogs.

All the time in my neighborhood when it's warm, which in Iowa you never know. It got close to 80 today so I hear. One of the elementary schools is a couple blocks away from my house and it's a nicer area of town, so yeah, lots of kids and people walking their dogs.

lots of adults out doing yard work, running, biking, walking dogs... not a whole lot of kids out, unless they're little kids at the playground with their mom
  • Like 1

My kids have limited access to TV, and they're not on a computer or internet at home. If they're inside they're either cleaning their room, reading, eating, or doing homework.

Take that energy outside and have fun with nature!

• Like 4

There are definitely kids outside when the weather is nice. I live in an area that is predominantly Indian and Pakistani. When the weather is good, the kids are out riding their bikes and playing like when I grew up in the 80's.

A 7-11 nearby?

• Like 3

No. They don't. Most of them are gone all summer staying with the other parent. When they are here, they must sit in front of the television or computer all day because I never see them.

One house on the corner has children that come out and play in the yard, and that is only on occasion.

We live up the road from a middle school that has a huge ball field. Aside from Little League (or whatever they have these days), it is rarely used.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

not really, most of the neighborhood kids are close to my age so we used to play outside when we were younger. there's a few younger kids who still play outside every so often.

A bunch of 7-11's nearby?

:laughing guy: Good1 TM...

Not much of a neighbourhood here - I have farm behind my house, and a golf course (That was farm when I moved here) in front of my house.

My kids play outside - shooting hoops when the net is up, and shooting pucks in the winter. When my kids move out - I'll buy nice stuff that doesn't have scuff marks and dents from them playing outside. Hard to complain about them being active. (except when they break a window or the garage door panels)

• Like 3

So the theory that you are a racist has been greatly exaggerated? Huh... :) At least my neighborhood is all white so I could be so accused... :eyeroll:
  • Like 2

Not much of a neighbourhood here - I have farm behind my house, and a golf course (That was farm when I moved here) in front of my house.

My kids play outside - shooting hoops when the net is up, and shooting pucks in the winter. When my kids move out - I'll buy nice stuff that doesn't have scuff marks and dents from them playing outside. Hard to complain about them being active. (except when they break a window or the garage door panels)

I hear ya. My dad started buying glass in bulk because he saved a few bucks with my brother and I.
  • Like 1

A 7-11 nearby?

Maybe not a 7-11, but most definitely some excellent restaurants. :haz:

• Like 1

I live in a residential area of a big city. Kids rarely play outside here. Across the street there are some pre-teen/teen boys that occasionally play basketball in their driveway, but that's about it. If there are small kids they either play in the backyard or not outside at all. I'd venture to guess that many kids raised in the city here don't even know how to ride a bike :(

I do see the kids playing here and there but honestly there wasn't a ton of kids out playing when I was a kid. There were a group of kids in my neighborhood and we all kind of stuck together. We wouldn't necessarily be out in the front yard.

This^^^ in my neighborhood. We were out constantly when I was a kid. My neighborhood growing up was full of kids around my age too. Kids would also ride bikes to other neighborhoods and play with other kids and they would ride to ours. What a great time... :sigh: :codger:

Yep,

We had our chores to do. But we were always threatened with other work to do if we did not go out and play/find some thing to do. Gone all day. The good old days!! :codger: :7up:

• Like 4

Yep,

We had our chores to do. But we were always threatened with other work to do if we did not go out and play/find some thing to do. Gone all day. The good old days!! :codger: :7up:

And I'll bet your parents never freaked out.

I live in the woods and there are some danger factors--bear, and a mountain lion (though TWRA says no). However, I'm raising my 9 and 6 year old to be circumspect. Anyway, just get OUT of the house when you can. I FORCE them out.

• Like 3

I was coming down the stairs in our house the other day and looked outside. There were two girls walking down the street. A few seconds later, they stopped, together, looked down at their phones, and started to text.

I LOL'd...

• Like 4