It grows on you...

SUBDIVISIONS

hi there

I have been thinking recently about those songs that after the test of time have grown deeply

For example my vary favs on roll the bones are not the singles, dreamline and the ghost are good but the ones that really grew on me are: HERESY and THE BIG WHEEL, those were meticulously crafted to great songs to me, those passed the filter of 20 years.

Do you have some of those?

B sides, ignored tunes from RUSH that grow into you?

Here

Some more:

red sector A from a show of hands

Test for echo's limbo

Another one is prime mover

I love to hear Geddys bass melodies all over that song

Edited by SUBDIVISIONS
  • Like 1

With the exception of some of the HYF and Presto stuff most everything I like grew on me many moons ago...

Much of Vapor Trails

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

How It Is

Secret Touch

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

And HYF

Lock and Key

Prime Mover

Turn the Page

• Like 1

I would say GuP through Presto grew on me over time. I didn't like the cuts from those albums in Chronicles, and never really listened to them much. But I found songs I love on all of them, and now I enjoy most of the songs from all of those albums.

Pretty much everything post MP for me. I was sort of your typical, "synth era has a couple good songs, 90s Rush is embarassing..." kind of fan. But when I actually gave those albums a chance, I almost immediately fell in love with all of them lol
  • Like 2

I strongly dislike the Big Wheel. Trite. Its not nearly as bad as the complete nadir of Rush songs...Face Up and YBYL. I do love Neurotica though many people hate it so theres that. I like Heresy too.

Anagram>Red Tide>Hand Over Fist are strong though. Very underrated.

There are tons of album cuts I love tho. Its kinda like Billy Joel if you are a fan you know whag I mean. I often skip the big hits and go for rhe strong album cuts. Sleeping With The Televsion On anyone?

• Like 1

By far, the two albums that have grown on me the most have been Presto and Power Windows. Both of them took me years to appreciate after having been convinced early on they were nothing special. For Presto, what hurt it with me initially was that I just wasn't that much into Rush when it was released. For Power Windows, I was promised by interviews at the time that Rush was going back to a rockier approach which, to me, meant less emphasis on keyboards. When that album had just as much synth on it as GUP, I kind of wrote it off.

On the flip side, some of their stuff has degraded in my mind as far as what I think of it now. Test for Echo is probably the biggest with Roll the Bones a close second. I loved both of these when they were released and now I wonder why.

I think guitar and bass players should all be encouraged to bring their instruments to concerts and at a precise moment everybody start playing closer to the heart (acoustically of course) - now what would that sound like??

I think guitar and bass players should all be encouraged to bring their instruments to concerts and at a precise moment everybody start playing closer to the heart (acoustically of course) - now what would that sound like??

Shit
  • Like 3

I plan on bringing my air triangle to rock out at the show.

I've nailed the beginning of YYZ.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

Well...Test For Echo and Vapor Trails have never grown on me. They're just back there in the shadows, in my music collection.

Certain songs that I like now, a lot more than I used to (and when I say 'used to', I mean when they were new):

Grand Designs

Emotion Detector

Hand Over Fist (has undergone a sort of Renaissance in my mind, in the past couple of years)

There aren't too many others, though. With the exception of the two albums I mentioned at first, I dig pretty much everything.

I thought power windows and presto sucked at first. and most normal people would say they indeed do suck! getting more into 80s music in general helped me get into power windows, not sure why presto started sounding good. Edited by bathory

Power Windows was an album I did not like for a long time and totally ignored. As I listened to Show of Hands more and got into the PW songs I listened to the album more and now love most of the songs. Maybe its because I'm 56 years old now?

Shit

It would probably sound pretty cool if everyone actually knew how to play. ;)