Sampling: is it considered "cheating"?

fraroc

Do you consider it cheating when Geddy doesn't play a keyboard part, rather samples it? An example would be when they did Grand Designs live and Ged didn't play the keyboard intro, rather he sampled it while playing the bass.

I have heard Geddy in interviews challenging anyone else to play his live rig. He is doing so much up there and certain songs from the keyboard era are so complex that there is no way he could do some without sampling. I have no problem with it, it is still his work!
  • Like 1

I have heard Geddy in interviews challenging anyone else to play his live rig. He is doing so much up there and certain songs from the keyboard era are so complex that there is no way he could do some without sampling. I have no problem with it, it is still his work!

Except when it's not his work, that is.

I wouldn't mind seeing him play the Grand designs opening line once, hitting a loop pedal, and then carrying on, but the sampling he does is fair enough.

It is cheating. The question should be, is it acceptable? I suspect the responses up to this point would be the same.

As an old timer, I've always taken pride that the guys played every note back in the 70s. For Ged, that meant using his hands feet mouth and sometimes his nose all at the same time. Not that I have a huge problem with sampling, its just I can't brag about the band in the same way I used to. But Ged ain't 24 anymore and he doesn't need to impress anybody anymore.

I'd rather he play the bass and leave the other stuff to sampling if necessary?

Yeah that's how I feel too. He had to play the stuff years ago because they didn't have the samplers etc. and didn't want to use them. Now I say the more he can play bass the better.

• Like 1

Do we need to make a distinction between sequencing and sampling? In my mind, they're two different things -- having a synth play a sequence of synth notes is different than Neil triggering a sample of the Hemispheres chord at the end of Far Cry.

I'd rather he play the bass and leave the other stuff to sampling if necessary?

Yeah that's how I feel too. He had to play the stuff years ago because they didn't have the samplers etc. and didn't want to use them. Now I say the more he can play bass the better.

Ged's my fav bass player. so play damn it, lol

Mick

• Like 1

It's not just about Lee though is it. There are masses of guitar parts that are basically played at the touch of a button. It's phoney and they are phoneys!

If they can't recreate it on stage honestly then why compose like that in the first place?

Do we need to make a distinction between sequencing and sampling? In my mind, they're two different things -- having a synth play a sequence of synth notes is different than Neil triggering a sample of the Hemispheres chord at the end of Far Cry.

How about first making a distinction between fanboys and objectivety?

It's not just about Lee though is it. There are masses of guitar parts that are basically played at the touch of a button. It's phoney and they are phoneys!

If they can't recreate it on stage honestly then why compose like that in the first place?

Because music isn't all about what can be played on stage.

More than a few of my friends who have joined me for Rush concerts have commented that they felt like they were hearing someone play the album at high volume (meaning, there wasn't enough improvisation or changes to the songs and they sounded too much like the studio versions). I tend to agree, though it was a little better last tour. I'd prefer them to arrange a version to play live, though I won't say that the samples and sequencers are all bad.

I do note that in a lot of boots from the mid 80s to early 90s, the sampling and sequencing often sounds horribly out of place. They do a much better of integrating the sounds now.