The Official Toto Appreciation Thread

Segue Myles

High Price Of Hate

Lukather loves his blues. It seems nowadays he cannot release an album without a blues number. But this is long, so slow, and very much a by the numbers blues song. Excellent musicianship, no one will argue that. But it adds up to nothing, and I really do not like this song. Kimball continues on with his emotionless wailing. 3/10 (every point is for the music, I could dig this as an instrumental...if shortened).

WHY DID HE HAVE TO COME BACK!?!?

$$$$&&&&

• Like 1

No Love

I do not remember ever having heard this one! Lukather is my favourite Toto member, and I love the almost country feel of this! This could be a new favourite! 9/10

so far i smell a Segue, lol You couldn't pay me to play this record again.

i hate it that much, lol

Mick

So far... I am going back and downgrading a few songs.

The album is not great. But so far, No Love and After You've Gone have made an impact. What do they have in common? That's right! No Kimball.

• Like 1

Caught In The Balance

More of that blues feel, some lovely keyboard work. Kimball sounds smoother. It is all really nicely executed. But not really excited. But I do think this is better than most songs on the album! 8.5/10

So far, three keepers. This is one of them.

• Like 1

Poor Kimball...I swear these are good songs, but Kimball really does seem to suck out the Toto joy I love so much!

I enjoy the first four Toto albums a lot. I have little to no issue with his imput. But the band just feel a little reserved on this album.

Caught In The Balance is such a great song...I will praise Kimball, his work on the chorus is really great. Once the solo kicks in the song is complete.

Edited by Segue Myles

No Love

I do not remember ever having heard this one! Lukather is my favourite Toto member, and I love the almost country feel of this! This could be a new favourite! 9/10

Yeah Luke is great. I like Kingdom and love Tambu he really holds his own but I'm glad they eventually brought JW back. He was with them in HS too which is a good thing. My fav memeber is Paich he was really IMO the architect of the Toto sound. But wtf happened to his face?? He now looks like Thing Fish. I wish they gave him more room to stretch out on keys. He's really damn good but never really shows off his chops.

Did you know that Luke layed down a bunch of rhythm parts on Thriller including the riffing on Beat It. EVH played the solo but the funky backing parts are all Lukather.

• Like 1

Last Love

Another gently Beatles-esque song, Lukather takes vocal duties on this one and immediately I feel drawn to it! Classic Toto ballad? No. But it reminds me of the ballads from Tambu, only not as good. I hear a lot of While My Guitar Gently Weeps in the melody on this. Nice solo. Not really anything else to add. 4/10

Edited by Segue Myles

No Love

Yeah Luke is great. I like Kingdom and love Tambu he really holds his own but I'm glad they eventually brought JW back. He was with them in HS too which is a good thing. My fav memeber is Paich he was really IMO the architect of the Toto sound. But wtf happened to his face?? He now looks like Thing Fish. I wish they gave him more room to stretch out on keys. He's really damn good but never really shows off his chops.

Did you know that Luke layed down a bunch of rhythm parts on Thriller including the riffing on Beat It. EVH played the solo but the funky backing parts are all Lukather.

Tambu is my second favourite Toto album! Paich is also very underrated as a vocalist.

Kimball is good on this album, but it is a massive step down after Tambu.

Edited by Segue Myles

Mad About You

At last an upbeat song!

Oh dear, Kimball is back.

Oh wait he sounds excellent!

The first pop song on the album, and it is really good! The verses are better than the chorus though. 6.5/10

Edited by Segue Myles

Tambu is Perfection. Also Williams just fits with Toto in a way no other vocalist has. Glad he's back. Hope we get another album. dunno......but i could hope.

Mick

Mindfields is in every way a disappointing listen. But it isn't one of the worst albums I have ever heard.

• Like 1

Tambu is Perfection. Also Williams just fits with Toto in a way no other vocalist has. Glad he's back. Hope we get another album. dunno......but i could hope.

Mick

Mindfields is in every way a disappointing listen. But it isn't one of the worst albums I have ever heard.

It just sounds bland in some way. Maybe it is down to Kimball, lol

Mick

• Like 1

One Road

Just another perfectly safe Toto song. With Kimball. 4/10

Edited by Segue Myles

Mick

It just sounds bland in some way. Maybe it is down to Kimball, lol

Mick

I am finding a few nice songs. This is not a classic Toto album, but nothing on this album deserves vitriol. (Except maybe The High Price Of Hate).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Melanie

Ooh yeah! A Toto song with a ladies name! This should, on paper, be a winner. Aside from Lorraine, which is very nice, but not killer, every Toto lady song is a classic!

Annnnnd...it is really great! A lovely reminder of the pop Glory days of songs like Rosanna, Pamela and Stop Loving You!

Not a classic. But close! 8/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Melanie

Ooh yeah! A Toto song with a ladies name! This should, on paper, be a winner. Aside from Lorraine, which is very nice, but not killer, every Toto lady song is a classic!

Malanie was the Cheesy song i needed in the middle of a pretty barren field.

Mick

• Like 1

Melanie

Malanie was the Cheesy song i needed in the middle of a pretty barren field.

Mick

I am loving it!

Raise my 8/10 to a 9/10 and I now call it a classic.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Cruel

They try so hard!

They sound so...middle of the road!

But I am actually enjoying it. 7/10

Cruel sounds very much like Uptown Funk. Edited by Segue Myles

Cruel sounds very much like Uptown Funk.

and Uptown Funk is my jam..........judge me all you want, lol

Mick

Yes! I love it too!

• Like 2

Better World

Beautifully performed, written and vocally really nice!

Lyrically, just another one of those "heal the world together" songs, best exemplified by Michael Jackson's Earth Song. Really nice, though.

8/10

Bonus Track: Spanish Steps Of Rome

Breathtaking, soothing and better than ANYTHING on Mindfields.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! So mad they left this off. Reminds me of Mushanga and Lea.

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles

Better World

Beautifully performed, written and vocally really nice!

Lyrically, just another one of those "heal the world together" songs, best exemplified by Michael Jackson's Earth Song. Really nice, though.

8/10

Van. I can't stand those songs. And people think NP spends to much time prosthelyzing.