The Official Toto Appreciation Thread

Segue Myles

Are these big venues? They seem like small gig type places to me...

I'm bummed there's no good places near me...I'd LOVE to see Toto...Yes in their current state...not so much...but they'd be entertaining...

Toto are the only good band on that list.

Unless by some miracle Jon Anderson returns to the Yes fold.

I C U C....but of course....with the resources of this great community!

BTW I saw Yes last year at a smallish venue, the new guy can really sing. They did Close to the Edge and Fragile. With Squire and Howe, I was like 25 feet from legends!

We could have a prog years vs modern Yes discussion, singing the old tunes vs newer ones, ala Rush, but that would not be right in the Toto thread!

BTW Barclays Center is a large arena, where the Brooklyn Nets, and next year, the New York Islanders play...

Edited by Gabrielgil513

I gave their debut a listen last night because I've seen Mick singing their praises on here a lot and what do ya know. Absolutely amazing. I'm now counting down the hours until I get home and listen to some of their other albums :)
  • Like 1

I gave their debut a listen last night because I've seen Mick singing their praises on here a lot and what do ya know. Absolutely amazing. I'm now counting down the hours until I get home and listen to some of their other albums :)

AAAAHHHHHHHH LOOOOOOOOOOVE YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!

• Like 1

Gonna go crazy:

Toto- Phenomenal debut. One of the greatest if the seventies, and a great place to start! 9/10

Hydra- this was a risk: the band tried to take a proggier approach to their sound, and whilst for many it remains a disappointing release, for others it is a real grower. I have grown to love it! 8/10

Turn Back- This third album was torn to shreds at the time. But why? An excellent rock album, with strong songs and excellent musicianship, I have always loved this album. 8/10

IV- Toto go pop. Jazzy pop. Smooth, seductively melodic, this album is a real masterpiece! Rosanna has perhaps the greatest drum work of any pop song ever, and highlights like Make Believe and I Won't Hold You Back make this an essential album in any collection. Really fun, deserved every Grammy. 10/10

Isolation- This album divides opinion. A total reinvention, this album aims a little for a harder sound, a little bit like Dokken or Journey at their heaviest. To my ears, it is another masterpiece. But it isn't one Mick particularly enjoys, and after IV, it came off very disappointing, what with the drastically different new singer and all (Fergie Fredriksen, one of my favourite singers ever). 9/10

Fahrenheit- ONE OF MY TOP TEN ALBUMS EVER! This is gorgeous, a very autumnal pop album, this is unashamedly romantic, jazzy, spontaneous and with Joseph Williams, Toto finally found the perfect singer! From start to finish, this lost masterpiece is one of, if no the very best, AOR album of all time. Not very rock n roll, but an absolute delight for those who love a bit of sweetness alongside stellar musicianship. Oh, and Miles Davis turns up towards the end! 10/10

The Seventh One- With Joseph Williams, Toto had the potential to be massive again. Sadly this didn't happen, but with this album, Toto decided to toy with the classy pop rock that made their name, and ultimately succeeded with an album only slightly less essential than IV or Fahrenheit. Excellent! 7/10

Kingdom Of Desire- Joseph Williams fired, guitarist extraordinaire Steve Lukather (blessed with my favourite Toto voice) took the lead, and this album is a shock to the senses: grungy, metallic and very heavy (and not just by Toto standards), this could have been a big success, as it took the basics of glam metal, but mostly removed the cheese and the over abundance of synth. Not quite top shelf Toto, but good all the same. 6/10

Tambu- Another masterpiece, this keeps the heavier nature of Kingdom Of Desire-, but this time applies it to absolutely breathtaking songwriting, epic balladry and BEAUTIFUL melodies. One of my all time favourite albums, it could be argued that it is a little overlong, but then again, their is not a single note out of place. If you enjoy the rock side of Toto more than the pop, this is the perfect balance of the two! 10/10

XX- A collection of unreleased songs and rarities, this commemorated 20 years of recording history with a shockingly great collection of songs! Don't be fooled into thinking this is a cash grab, it works as an album and not just as a interesting curio. 8/10

Mindfields- Not for me. Excellent musicianship, a few great songs (After You've Gone being my favourite), but just not that wonderful. 3/10

Falling In Between- This is very reminiscent of Hydra, a proggier album, with some of the greatest songwriting the band has ever come up with. I only enjoy half this album. And I would say I enjoy that half more than a few of their other releases. 6/10

XIV- The latest album, and another masterpiece. Everything about Toto, everything they ever tried, is available here in one album. This is basically a greatest hits, only every song is new. 9/10

• Like 1

Me and Mick NEED a girl on our Toto team.

Omg I feel so wanted right now!. I've got a feeling they're gonna be my new Rush (Obviously nobody can ever compare but you know what I mean!)

• Like 1

Segue, I feel like I should especially listen to those first three. I think you recommended Tambu to me one time when I asked where I should start, and I did listen to a little of it...but the prog and rock, pre-poppy days I think would suit me well right now.
  • Like 1

Segue, I feel like I should especially listen to those first three. I think you recommended Tambu to me one time when I asked where I should start, and I did listen to a little of it...but the prog and rock, pre-poppy days I think would suit me well right now.

The latest two albums fall under the same bracket as those first three as well!

• Like 1

Check, and check! Thanks.

• Like 1

Falling In Between might actually be the best start for you, and then the first, and then the latest.

Falling In Between might actually be the best start for you, and then the first, and then the latest.

Haha...okay. Well, I'll get around to all of it in due course of time.

Or just ignore me and go for the first three!

*making heads spin is my pastime*

• Like 1

This is why you are called Segue, Segue...so many minds to boggle, so little time...

• Like 1

This is why you are called Segue, Segue...so many minds to boggle, so little time...

Yes!

I can't ever make my own mind. So I just go for all and everything!

Holy crap - no joke... was cutting the grass on Sunday and Hold the Line came on my iPod... I honestly thought about the cupcake kid.

200_s.gif

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

So I listened to XIV last night and oh my lord. It was a truly spiritual experience. Chinatown is definitely the besttttttt :heart: :notworthy:
  • Like 1

So I listened to XIV last night and oh my lord. It was a truly spiritual experience. Chinatown is definitely the besttttttt :heart: :notworthy:

:rose: :heart: :burger: :pizza: :goodone: :mwah:

• Like 1

I approached Toto having no knowledge of the band at all. So it took a long time for me to realise they were so maligned by many!

Glad to see someone open-minded go through the same thing!

They're really confusing and mysterious to me which is why I'm drawn to them so much. Like, I have no idea which singer is called what right now and when they're singing but I love them all for different reasons and it's awesome.
  • Like 1

They're really confusing and mysterious to me which is why I'm drawn to them so much. Like, I have no idea which singer is called what right now and when they're singing but I love them all for different reasons and it's awesome.

It really is! I think starting with the debut, and to follow that up with the latest, is a great idea as they really sum the band up completely! XIV is such a grand example of everything Toto, that I now consider it to be a greatest hits set!

Absolutely marvellous. It is really hard for me to recommend any other albums, as I started with a seven album boxset (includes an eighth disc, a DVD) called The Collection, and swiftly collected the rest soon after!

So my introduction was pretty much everything, all at once! It worked for me!

It really is! I think starting with the debut, and to follow that up with the latest, is a great idea as they really sum the band up completely! XIV is such a grand example of everything Toto, that I now consider it to be a greatest hits set!

Absolutely marvellous. It is really hard for me to recommend any other albums, as I started with a seven album boxset (includes an eighth disc, a DVD) called The Collection, and swiftly collected the rest soon after!

So my introduction was pretty much everything, all at once! It worked for me!

I pretty much did this. Listened to the debut all the way through yesterday and then went on to listen to XIV in the evening :)

I might have to invest in the box set when I get paid but Youtube is good for now I guess.

Side note: I'm absolutely in love with Rockmaker at the moment, it's gonna be my new happy song :7up:

• Like 1