The Official Toto Appreciation Thread

Segue Myles

Live in poland is really the only Toto DVD you need. The others are Good.......but just when your getting in the groove......here comes bobby Kimball. and it's like man........SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

I love the live in Paris DVD.

meh.......Kimball's wrecking things......no paitch, No Porcaro's

i'll pass.

Mick

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H7G4KU7zL.jpg

Kimball ain't on this one! This one is in Paris.

OH......i'm sorry. i thought you meant Falling in Between. That's also in Paris.

but that paris one is good.

Mick

• Like 1

Live in poland is really the only Toto DVD you need. The others are Good.......but just when your getting in the groove......here comes bobby Kimball. and it's like man........SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

I love the live in Paris DVD.

meh.......Kimball's wrecking things......no paitch, No Porcaro's

i'll pass.

Mick

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H7G4KU7zL.jpg

Kimball ain't on this one! This one is in Paris.

OH......i'm sorry. i thought you meant Falling in Between. That's also in Paris.

but that paris one is good.

Mick

Nope. I will probably never watch the Kimball DVD's again. I really cannot take his excruciating wailing!

• Like 1

I will watch the 25th DVD because in between Kimball there's a great show going on, lol.

Mick

I agree.

But I still want to punch the wall whenever I see his face.

• Like 2

Mick

I hate that guy! I can barely even listen to Goodybye Girl anymore because I have a face to put to the voice now...and a stupid one at that.

• Like 1

Mick

I hate that guy! I can barely even listen to Girl Goodbye anymore because I have a face to put to the voice now...and a stupid one at that.

Mick

I hate that guy! I can barely even listen to Goodybye Girl anymore because I have a face to put to the voice now...and a stupid one at that.

I dunno why he was chosen at all. there were no other singers around?

Annoying.......from his stage presence......to the way he shakes his head when he holds a note. To he way he yells STEVE LUKATHAR!!!!!!! Before the solo in Hold the Line.

EVERYTHING.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Annoying.......from his stage presence......to the way he shakes his head when he holds a note. To he way he yells STEVE LUKATHAR!!!!!!! Before the solo in Hold the Line.

EVERYTHING.

Mick

Its amazing how much I love Toto that I can forgive Kimball.

I cannot really stand Dennis DeYoung, and it has ruined Styx for me.

But I dislike Kimball more, and yet I really dig the first four albums, and could rank them all easily on the high end of any rock album list.

• Like 1

Mick

EVERYTHING.

Mick

But I dislike Kimball more, and yet I really dig the first four albums, and could rank them all easily on the high end of any rock album list.

just the fact that they released a classic 4 despite Kimball is amazing.......but then again his singing was more restrained back then. Mindfeilds came and he became Mr. Shouty.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

EVERYTHING.

Mick

just the fact that they released a classic 4 despite Kimball is amazing.......but then again his singing was more restrained back then. Mindfeilds came and he became Mr. Shouty.

Mick

Exactly. And try as I might, Falling In Between has some excellence, but a lot of meh.

(Still a better album than Clockwork Angels).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Mick

EVERYTHING.

Mick

Mick

Exactly. And try as I might, Falling In Between has some excellence, but a lot of meh.

i noticed you cooled on FIB. I haven't. I think it's just as good as some classic stuff. i really do.

Toto XIV blows it away though.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

EVERYTHING.

Mick

Mick

i noticed you cooled on FIB. I haven't. I think it's just as good as some classic stuff. i really do.

Toto XIV blows it away though.

Mick

I haven't cooled on my favourite songs, no way!

But as an album, it doesn't sustain my interest. And King Of The World has some of the most obnoxiously bad lyrics of any Toto song.

• Like 1

Mick

EVERYTHING.

Mick

Mick

Hey, now...was that really necessary?

:rage:

:LOL:

• Like 1

Well, guys, so I tried out Hydra, and... :huh: It's okay. I didn't find it totally brilliant. Excellent musicianship, to be sure. But nothing that really made me scream out and beg for more.

Did they have multiple different members of the band taking lead vocals on various different songs, even that early? I had thought it was all Kimball, up until he was replaced in the band, and then they all started sharing those duties. But it seems I'm wrong about that. There was a vocalist I heard on at least a couple of songs who I'm sure is not Kimball- he sounded a lot like Bill Champlin, who joined Chicago during the '80s, and did a lot of the lead vocals after Peter Cetera left.

Anyway...I just wanted to contribute something after having actually listened to an entire album. ;)

• Like 2

Well, guys, so I tried out Hydra, and... :huh: It's okay. I didn't find it totally brilliant. Excellent musicianship, to be sure. But nothing that really made me scream out and beg for more.

Did they have multiple different members of the band taking lead vocals on various different songs, even that early? I had thought it was all Kimball, up until he was replaced in the band, and then they all started sharing those duties. But it seems I'm wrong about that. There was a vocalist I heard on at least a couple of songs who I'm sure is not Kimball- he sounded a lot like Bill Champlin, who joined Chicago during the '80s, and did a lot of the lead vocals after Peter Cetera left.

Anyway...I just wanted to contribute something after having actually listened to an entire album. ;)

Hydra is certainly a sophmore slump album. Their debut and subsequent albums are much better. Yes they Had multiple vocalists.

You Had Steve Lukather. And David Paitch.

aand the lead vocal position was a revolving door.

Originally you had Bobby Kimball. he was on the first 4. Then Fergie Frederikson joined for 1 mediocre album. then you had My fav. Joseph Williams. He rejoined in 2010 and is with the group today.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Yeah, I knew that Lukather and Paitch did some lead vocals, too. I guess I was just confused about the time frame(s). I thought that Kimball was THE singer, the only lead vocalist, early on.

I will check out a bit of the other early ones then, too. I haven't been able to find any samples of Turn Back thus far yet, though. (Though admittedly, I haven't been searching all that much yet, either).

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Yeah, I knew that Lukather and Paitch did some lead vocals, too. I guess I was just confused about the time frame(s). I thought that Kimball was THE singer, the only lead vocalist, early on.

I will check out a bit of the other early ones then, too. I haven't been able to find any samples of Turn Back thus far yet, though. (Though admittedly, I haven't been searching all that much yet, either).

you would think that. Cause all the Hits from that period had Kimbal leading. but on their albums the other shared vocal duty with Kimball.

Mick

Hydra took a few years to grow on me. I really like it now, but Toto and Turn Back were much better. They really hit their stride with IV.
  • Like 2

Mick

EVERYTHING.

Mick

Mick

Of the three recent Toto albums, and three recent Rush, I would rank them as follows:

1. XIV

2. Vapor Trails

3. Falling In Between

4. Snakes And Arrows

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Mindfields

• Like 1

Mick

EVERYTHING.

Mick

Mick

Of the three recent Toto albums, and three recent Rush, I would rank them as follows:

1. XIV

2. Vapor Trails

3. Falling In Between

4. Snakes And Arrows

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Mindfields

I see. ;)

• Like 1

Mick

EVERYTHING.

Mick

Mick

1. XIV

2. Vapor Trails

3. Falling In Between

4. Snakes And Arrows

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Mindfields

I see. ;)

True story broski!

I would rank Hydra above CA as well.

Toto will never top Rush for me aside from their abilty to write really good pop songs. Africa is perfect but so is Natural Science. So is Red Barchetta. YYZ same.

Edge :Rush. But I take music for what it is. I don't like Calling All Stations because it is a good Genesis album but because it is a good album.

I would keep every Toto album. But I wouldn't keep every Rush album.

My favourite Rush Albums, MP, AFTK and HYF, I would swap for Fahrenheit without any doubt in my mind.

I listen to Toto's greatest hits in the early morning & late afternoon while I take the train to & from work. Their music reminds me of a simpler time before my life became totally f***ed up.

I would keep every Toto album. But I wouldn't keep every Rush album.

My favourite Rush Albums, MP, AFTK and HYF, I would swap for Fahrenheit without any doubt in my mind.

i wouldn't do that for even Toto. i trade in Isolation and Mindfeilds for HYF and PoW so fast your head would spin, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000