The Official Toto Appreciation Thread

Segue Myles

Better World

Beautifully performed, written and vocally really nice!

Lyrically, just another one of those "heal the world together" songs, best exemplified by Michael Jackson's Earth Song. Really nice, though.

8/10

Van. I can't stand those songs. And people think NP spends to much time prosthelyzing.

i agree. both hpreachy pieces of crap. i hate that in music. Doesn't matter what stance you are.

Mick

I liked Better World. I love Earth Song. What can I say?

Lol I typed What can I say at the exact same time as that line was sung in the Boz Scaggs song hahahaha

• Like 1

Lol I typed What can I say at the exact same time as that line was sung in the Boz Scaggs song hahahaha

I wish they would have chosen Melanie over better World for live in Poland.

Mick

• Like 1

I wish they would have chosen Melanie over better World for live in Poland.

Mick

I can ignore the lyrics. I really enjoyed Better World.

They're really confusing and mysterious to me which is why I'm drawn to them so much. Like, I have no idea which singer is called what right now and when they're singing but I love them all for different reasons and it's awesome.

It really is! I think starting with the debut, and to follow that up with the latest, is a great idea as they really sum the band up completely! XIV is such a grand example of everything Toto, that I now consider it to be a greatest hits set!

Absolutely marvellous. It is really hard for me to recommend any other albums, as I started with a seven album boxset (includes an eighth disc, a DVD) called The Collection, and swiftly collected the rest soon after!

So my introduction was pretty much everything, all at once! It worked for me!

I pretty much did this. Listened to the debut all the way through yesterday and then went on to listen to XIV in the evening :)

I might have to invest in the box set when I get paid but Youtube is good for now I guess.

Side note: I'm absolutely in love with Rockmaker at the moment, it's gonna be my new happy song :7up:

Toto are my ultimate happy band! My fave on the debut is Manuela Run! Such fun!

That's another of my favourites. I love this guy's voice, no idea which guy it is but I like the way he sings :) and the harmonies are beautiful. I also like his waistcoat in the videos I've seen of him.

Probably Bobby Kimball, he took most of the lead on the first few records.

On the new album, Joseph Williams, Steve Lukather and David Paich all have their moments! I find, much like classic Fleetwood Mac, the band has a certain edge because of the number of influences on every album.

Mick loves Joseph Williams the most, and I tend to favour Lukather. Many miss Kimball, but trust me when I say I am pleased he is out of the picture!

Enjoy Toto! A lot of variety, some albums may let you down, but at least you won't feel a sense of déjà vu!

Yeah he's the guy that does Girl Goodbye right? He's soulful as hell. What's the deal with him though? Was he a prick?

I love the guy that sings the chorus of Chinatown whoever he is :) Haha I feel so ignorant right now...

Chinatown I think is David Paich.

Kimball is, as far as I am concerned, a man with a range but a rather average sounding voice, with a huge ego. I can take his studio work on the first four albums, but once he left and they brought in other singers, Toto really benefited! Then they were stupid, and brought him back for two more studio albums and tours. The vocals on the DVD's prior to he Poland one are UNBEARABLE!

And he badmouths the band, and quite frankly, I think of Toto as belonging to Lukather and Paich now. Joseph Williams is fantastic as well!

BTW, Joseph Williams is the son of the film composer John Williams, and he also provided the singing voice of the adult Simba in The Lion King.

That's the guy in the waistcoat! He's my favourite :heart: I like the way he says the words 'down' and 'town', do you get what I'm talking about?

Ah I see what you mean, he did look pretty full of himself in the videos I saw like he was doing the harmony in one song but he was trying to out-sing the main guy which was pretty lame. God, I have so much to discover, I can't wait to watch the live stuff :)

Wow, such a cool fact right there. There's too much to love about this band!

Update: I've learnt a lot more about these guys since I posted this. It's Luke whose voice I love the most, I think I might be in love with him :heart:

I've gone from thinking Bobby Kimball was the best singer to hating him in the space of like, a week. His face annoys me.

• Like 1

They're really confusing and mysterious to me which is why I'm drawn to them so much. Like, I have no idea which singer is called what right now and when they're singing but I love them all for different reasons and it's awesome.

It really is! I think starting with the debut, and to follow that up with the latest, is a great idea as they really sum the band up completely! XIV is such a grand example of everything Toto, that I now consider it to be a greatest hits set!

Absolutely marvellous. It is really hard for me to recommend any other albums, as I started with a seven album boxset (includes an eighth disc, a DVD) called The Collection, and swiftly collected the rest soon after!

I pretty much did this. Listened to the debut all the way through yesterday and then went on to listen to XIV in the evening :)

I might have to invest in the box set when I get paid but Youtube is good for now I guess.

Side note: I'm absolutely in love with Rockmaker at the moment, it's gonna be my new happy song :7up:

That's another of my favourites. I love this guy's voice, no idea which guy it is but I like the way he sings :) and the harmonies are beautiful. I also like his waistcoat in the videos I've seen of him.

On the new album, Joseph Williams, Steve Lukather and David Paich all have their moments! I find, much like classic Fleetwood Mac, the band has a certain edge because of the number of influences on every album.

Mick loves Joseph Williams the most, and I tend to favour Lukather. Many miss Kimball, but trust me when I say I am pleased he is out of the picture!

Enjoy Toto! A lot of variety, some albums may let you down, but at least you won't feel a sense of déjà vu!

Yeah he's the guy that does Girl Goodbye right? He's soulful as hell. What's the deal with him though? Was he a prick?

I love the guy that sings the chorus of Chinatown whoever he is :) Haha I feel so ignorant right now...

Kimball is, as far as I am concerned, a man with a range but a rather average sounding voice, with a huge ego. I can take his studio work on the first four albums, but once he left and they brought in other singers, Toto really benefited! Then they were stupid, and brought him back for two more studio albums and tours. The vocals on the DVD's prior to he Poland one are UNBEARABLE!

And he badmouths the band, and quite frankly, I think of Toto as belonging to Lukather and Paich now. Joseph Williams is fantastic as well!

BTW, Joseph Williams is the son of the film composer John Williams, and he also provided the singing voice of the adult Simba in The Lion King.

That's the guy in the waistcoat! He's my favourite :heart: I like the way he says the words 'down' and 'town', do you get what I'm talking about?

Ah I see what you mean, he did look pretty full of himself in the videos I saw like he was doing the harmony in one song but he was trying to out-sing the main guy which was pretty lame. God, I have so much to discover, I can't wait to watch the live stuff :)

Update: I've learnt a lot more about these guys since I posted this. It's Luke whose voice I love the most, I think I might be in love with him :heart:

I've gone from thinking Bobby Kimball was the best singer to hating him in the space of like, a week. His face annoys me.

We might as well be the same person after this haha!

Kimball on the early albums is fine. He never should have returned! Ggggrrrrr lol

• Like 1

Kimball on the early albums is fine. He never should have returned! Ggggrrrrr lol

Yeah like I love his voice on Girl Goodbye and everything but he looks like a total creep and he seems like a lame person.

THIS GUY HOWEVER,

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/player_page_image/player/Steve_Lukather_Black_Sparkle_Shirt_035.jpg

Another oldie to add to my celebrity crush list :heart:

• Like 1

Joseph Williams is my fav Toto singer. followed very closely by Luke.

David Paitch is underrated too. Not because he's the best singer. but he just has such a warm tone to his voice.

Least favs are Fergie and Bobby. Fergie was to high and Tinny. Kimball was ok on record but couldn't sing live to save his life.

Mick

• Like 2

David Paitch is underrated too. Not because he's the best singer. but he just has such a warm tone to his voice.

Least favs are Fergie and Bobby. Fergie was to high and Tinny. Kimball was ok on record but couldn't sing live to save his life.

Mick

I will admit, as much as I hate to say it, but Fergie did not quite manage to sound as good with Toto as he did with Trillion. But I would take Isolation over all but Fahrenheit. Tambu I love but Isolation has gone up another gear for me!

Bobby sounds truly great with Toto on the early years, I have no issue with any of his early album efforts. But by the time Mindfields was released, he settled with a soulless, shouty vocal approach that was just devoid of any real feeling.

I personally think Mindfields could have been great (but flawed) if only they had kept the same lineup as Tambu (or, even better, invited Joseph back full time!).

Joseph and Luke are about equal.

Yeah like I love his voice on Girl Goodbye and everything but he looks like a total creep and he seems like a lame person.

THIS GUY HOWEVER,

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/player_page_image/player/Steve_Lukather_Black_Sparkle_Shirt_035.jpg

Honestly, try solo Luke. It is patchy, but full of greatness! Love this man.

• Like 1

Bobby had ALMOST a Boz Scaggs vibe on the early records. Not that they're close......but they had the same smooth R N B type thing going. He just seems to have forgotten that when he came back.

Fergie. He was great on trillion. but he is the very reason i can't rate Isolation higher. He was trying WAY to hard.

Mick

• Like 1

Bobby had ALMOST a Boz Scaggs vibe on the early records. Not that they're close......but they had the same smooth R N B type thing going. He just seems to have forgotten that when he came back.

Fergie. He was great on trillion. but he is the very reason i can't rate Isolation higher. He was trying WAY to hard.

Mick

I respect that. It has Endless which is one of my most treasured fun time songs ever.

Tambu is phenomenal but this is my only gripe: I wish, I really wish, Joseph Williams was in it. Steve Lukather really did his best vocal work ever on it, but at times I really wish we had someone else for him to work with! Joseph and Luke are perfect together.

And I am glad Paich has been getting some love, I adore his tone and songwriting style. Anyone else heard the Toto XIV bonus track Bend? I LOVE IT!

Mick

I respect that. It has Endless which is one of my most treasured fun time songs ever.

Tambu is phenomenal but this is my only gripe: I wish, I really wish, Joseph Williams was in it. Steve Lukather really did his best vocal work ever on it, but at times I really wish we had someone else for him to work with! Joseph and Luke are perfect together.

And I am glad Paich has been getting some love, I adore his tone and songwriting style. Anyone else heard the Toto XIV bonus track Bend? I LOVE IT!

I have Not. But i suppose i should. Did i tell you. Paitch was a surprise guest at the scaggs show i saw. He sat in on Lowdown. and they did a version of Africa.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

I have Not. But i suppose i should. Did i tell you. Paitch was a surprise guest at the scaggs show i saw. He sat in on Lowdown. and they did a version of Africa.

Mick

I would have loved that!

Boz Scaggs might be a new Yes for me: a slowburning love! So far, it is all just "nice", but with every return I suspect the music will become more and more of an obsession!

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I would have loved that!

Boz Scaggs might be a new Yes for me: a slowburning love! So far, it is all just "nice", but with every return I suspect the music will become more and more of an obsession!

boz is just so cool.

Unique voice. I love his style.

He never really had a bad album, IMO.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I would have loved that!

boz is just so cool.

Unique voice. I love his style.

He never really had a bad album, IMO.

Mick

It is a really wonderful album (forgot the name HELP!). I can see me being infatuated in a short amount of time!

I am currently reading a long and heavy series of books, so I barely listen to music atm!

Silk Degrees. It's cliched to say the most known work is the best. but in Boz's Case.....it's true.

he backed by David Paitch Jeff Porcaro and David hungate. Toto.......how could it not be magic?

Mick

I must admit, I was really into it the second time! There is a five CD set in the Original Album Series available, include Silk Degrees, and it is all for the price of one new release. I must get it soon!

• Like 1

Mick

I totally agree about David, I love his voice especially on the first album :)

• Like 2

THIS GUY HOWEVER,

Honestly, try solo Luke. It is patchy, but full of greatness! Love this man.

That's my plan! I could listen to his voice all day. This is my personal favourite performance...

Also, I watched a video of them live last night and there was a long instrumental section where Luke got on Dave's keyboard and he was really f***ing good! There appears to be no end to his talents :notworthy:
  • Like 2

Also, I watched a video of them live last night and there was a long instrumental section where Luke got on Dave's keyboard and he was really f***ing good! There appears to be no end to his talents :notworthy:

Steve Lukather is AMAZING, and I have never been shy in saying that I think Toto are made up of the most extremely gifted musicians in their genre. Say what you like about their songs, but no band comes close to Toto. Not even Rush.

(You don't have to agree haha).

• Like 2

Steve Lukather is AMAZING, and I have never been shy in saying that I think Toto are made up of the most extremely gifted musicians in their genre.

I can't speak for them all, just because I haven't heard enough Toto music to make a judgment, but Steve Lukather and Jeff Porcaro are both absolutely incredible!

• Like 1

Steve Lukather is AMAZING, and I have never been shy in saying that I think Toto are made up of the most extremely gifted musicians in their genre.

I can't speak for them all, just because I haven't heard enough Toto music to make a judgment, but Steve Lukather and Jeff Porcaro are both absolutely incredible!

They really are!

• Like 1