The Official Toto Appreciation Thread

Segue Myles

They're really confusing and mysterious to me which is why I'm drawn to them so much. Like, I have no idea which singer is called what right now and when they're singing but I love them all for different reasons and it's awesome.

It really is! I think starting with the debut, and to follow that up with the latest, is a great idea as they really sum the band up completely! XIV is such a grand example of everything Toto, that I now consider it to be a greatest hits set!

Absolutely marvellous. It is really hard for me to recommend any other albums, as I started with a seven album boxset (includes an eighth disc, a DVD) called The Collection, and swiftly collected the rest soon after!

So my introduction was pretty much everything, all at once! It worked for me!

I pretty much did this. Listened to the debut all the way through yesterday and then went on to listen to XIV in the evening :)

I might have to invest in the box set when I get paid but Youtube is good for now I guess.

Side note: I'm absolutely in love with Rockmaker at the moment, it's gonna be my new happy song :7up:

Toto are my ultimate happy band! My fave on the debut is Manuela Run! Such fun!

• Like 1

They're really confusing and mysterious to me which is why I'm drawn to them so much. Like, I have no idea which singer is called what right now and when they're singing but I love them all for different reasons and it's awesome.

It really is! I think starting with the debut, and to follow that up with the latest, is a great idea as they really sum the band up completely! XIV is such a grand example of everything Toto, that I now consider it to be a greatest hits set!

Absolutely marvellous. It is really hard for me to recommend any other albums, as I started with a seven album boxset (includes an eighth disc, a DVD) called The Collection, and swiftly collected the rest soon after!

I pretty much did this. Listened to the debut all the way through yesterday and then went on to listen to XIV in the evening :)

I might have to invest in the box set when I get paid but Youtube is good for now I guess.

Side note: I'm absolutely in love with Rockmaker at the moment, it's gonna be my new happy song :7up:

That's another of my favourites. I love this guy's voice, no idea which guy it is but I like the way he sings :) and the harmonies are beautiful. I also like his waistcoat in the videos I've seen of him.

• Like 1

That's another of my favourites. I love this guy's voice, no idea which guy it is but I like the way he sings :) and the harmonies are beautiful. I also like his waistcoat in the videos I've seen of him.

Probably Bobby Kimball, he took most of the lead on the first few records.

On the new album, Joseph Williams, Steve Lukather and David Paich all have their moments! I find, much like classic Fleetwood Mac, the band has a certain edge because of the number of influences on every album.

Mick loves Joseph Williams the most, and I tend to favour Lukather. Many miss Kimball, but trust me when I say I am pleased he is out of the picture!

Enjoy Toto! A lot of variety, some albums may let you down, but at least you won't feel a sense of déjà vu!

On the new album, Joseph Williams, Steve Lukather and David Paich all have their moments! I find, much like classic Fleetwood Mac, the band has a certain edge because of the number of influences on every album.

Mick loves Joseph Williams the most, and I tend to favour Lukather. Many miss Kimball, but trust me when I say I am pleased he is out of the picture!

Enjoy Toto! A lot of variety, some albums may let you down, but at least you won't feel a sense of déjà vu!

Yeah he's the guy that does Girl Goodbye right? He's soulful as hell. What's the deal with him though? Was he a prick?

I love the guy that sings the chorus of Chinatown whoever he is :) Haha I feel so ignorant right now...

• Like 1

Yeah he's the guy that does Girl Goodbye right? He's soulful as hell. What's the deal with him though? Was he a prick?

I love the guy that sings the chorus of Chinatown whoever he is :) Haha I feel so ignorant right now...

Chinatown I think is David Paich.

Kimball is, as far as I am concerned, a man with a range but a rather average sounding voice, with a huge ego. I can take his studio work on the first four albums, but once he left and they brought in other singers, Toto really benefited! Then they were stupid, and brought him back for two more studio albums and tours. The vocals on the DVD's prior to he Poland one are UNBEARABLE!

And he badmouths the band, and quite frankly, I think of Toto as belonging to Lukather and Paich now. Joseph Williams is fantastic as well!

BTW, Joseph Williams is the son of the film composer John Williams, and he also provided the singing voice of the adult Simba in The Lion King.

• Like 1

Kimball is, as far as I am concerned, a man with a range but a rather average sounding voice, with a huge ego. I can take his studio work on the first four albums, but once he left and they brought in other singers, Toto really benefited! Then they were stupid, and brought him back for two more studio albums and tours. The vocals on the DVD's prior to he Poland one are UNBEARABLE!

And he badmouths the band, and quite frankly, I think of Toto as belonging to Lukather and Paich now. Joseph Williams is fantastic as well!

BTW, Joseph Williams is the son of the film composer John Williams, and he also provided the singing voice of the adult Simba in The Lion King.

That's the guy in the waistcoat! He's my favourite :heart: I like the way he says the words 'down' and 'town', do you get what I'm talking about?

Ah I see what you mean, he did look pretty full of himself in the videos I saw like he was doing the harmony in one song but he was trying to out-sing the main guy which was pretty lame. God, I have so much to discover, I can't wait to watch the live stuff :)

Wow, such a cool fact right there. There's too much to love about this band!

• Like 1

Girl Goodbye is mine.

Bobby Kimball has the high tenor, Paich has more baritone and Lukather is right somewhere in the middle. Kimball is a good singer but I really dig Joe Williams voice a lot more.

• Like 2

That's the guy in the waistcoat! He's my favourite :heart: I like the way he says the words 'down' and 'town', do you get what I'm talking about?

Ah I see what you mean, he did look pretty full of himself in the videos I saw like he was doing the harmony in one song but he was trying to out-sing the main guy which was pretty lame. God, I have so much to discover, I can't wait to watch the live stuff :)

Wow, such a cool fact right there. There's too much to love about this band!

The live in Poland DVD is the best! Go for that! Excellent choice of songs from all over the bands discography as well!

Toto are a band that I intend on exploring further. I saw them open up for YES over the summer and they were great.

For once, the latest album from a classic rock band is PERFECT as an introduction.

Toto is deeply ingrained in me and is one of my fav bands. Joseph Williams will forever be my fav Toto front man.

top 5 toto albums.

1. Fahrenheit

2. Tambu

3. Toto

4. XIV

5. Toto IV

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Toto is deeply ingrained in me and is one of my fav bands. Joseph Williams will forever be my fav Toto front man.

top 5 toto albums.

1. Fahrenheit

2. Tambu

3. Toto

4. XIV

5. Toto IV

Mick

I have to have Isolation in my top five.

But I also need all six albums!

• Like 1

top 5 toto albums.

1. Fahrenheit

2. Tambu

3. Toto

4. XIV

5. Toto IV

Mick

I have to have Isolation in my top five.

But I also need all six albums!

i like Isolation lots more then i used to.........but it's not 5 for lack of variety.

Mick

I think I am going to start with Hydra. I'm not sure why. Just inexplicably drawn to it, more than any of the others. It's calling me...hahaha.

More than any other Toto albums there is a Prog bent that really makes it stick out. I've yet to hear Isolation but Stranger in Town was one of my favorite songs when it came out.

I think I am going to start with Hydra. I'm not sure why. Just inexplicably drawn to it, more than any of the others. It's calling me...hahaha.

More than any other Toto albums there is a Prog bent that really makes it stick out. I've yet to hear Isolation but Stranger in Town was one of my favorite songs when it came out.

it's ok. the songs are good but the replacement singer at the time leaves a lot to be desired. but you should still try it.

Mick

it's ok. the songs are good but the replacement singer at the time leaves a lot to be desired. but you should still try it.

Mick

I will have your head for this! Mwahahahahahahaha

(JOKING in case someone reads this and starts rattling on about "be careful of the opinions I SAID BE CAREFUL THEY ARE FRAGILE!")

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Revisiting Mindfields:

Toto_Mindfields.jpg

Edited by Segue Myles

After You've Gone:

I get a strong Beatles vibe off this, almost a She's So Heavy Slash Come Together vibe. Always loved this. 10/10

Second track:

Mysterious Ways

Getting some funky vibes off this! Some really wonderful drumming on this one. Fast, catchy, but not Toto at the peak of their melodic powers. 6/10

Edited by Segue Myles

Mindfields

This is giving me a little of an early Toto vibe. Kimball sounds OK (never truly hated his studio voice). So far, three tracks in, I am liking Mindfields. 6.5/10

Joseph Williams could have elevated this to a 9. Kimball just doesn't sound right. The song itself is laid back, chilled and fairly reminiscent of The Seventh One. but Kimball sounds bored, leaving a nice smooth pop number tired.

Edited by Segue Myles

High Price Of Hate

Lukather loves his blues. It seems nowadays he cannot release an album without a blues number. But this is long, so slow, and very much a by the numbers blues song. Excellent musicianship, no one will argue that. But it adds up to nothing, and I really do not like this song. Kimball continues on with his emotionless wailing. 3/10 (every point is for the music, I could dig this as an instrumental...if shortened).

WHY DID HE HAVE TO COME BACK!?!?

Edited by Segue Myles

Selfish

After wishing to pass out due to boredom during the last song, I like this one! Kimball suits this sort of shouty rock, it reminds me a little of the shorter tracks on Hydra. Selfish is a nice tune! 8/10

So far, the best reason for Kimball's return.

But...a couple of moments make me think that Joseph Williams could have really made this a classic

Edited by Segue Myles

No Love

I do not remember ever having heard this one! Lukather is my favourite Toto member, and I love the almost country feel of this! This could be a new favourite! 9/10

No Love

I do not remember ever having heard this one! Lukather is my favourite Toto member, and I love the almost country feel of this! This could be a new favourite! 9/10

so far i smell a Segue, lol You couldn't pay me to play this record again.

i hate it that much, lol

Mick

• Like 1