Nobody's Hero

cronker

I honestly don't know the song and the lyrics as well as I probably should but it did seem like it had something to do with being gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) or gayness on some level the few times I have heard it. Its actually a catchy tune but I have never really examined the lyrics that closely to be honest... :)

You are aware that meaning behind those lyrics is that even though the person had done good things, all people will remember him for was being gay. And it's true because our society is shallow like that. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

You are aware that meaning behind those lyrics is that even though the person had done good things, all people will remember him for was being gay. And that's exactly what people will remember that individual for no matter how many good deeds he's done because our society is shallow like that.

That is actually probably still true sadly in most cases...

You are aware that meaning behind those lyrics is that even though the person had done good things, all people will remember him for was being gay. And that's exactly what people will remember that individual for no matter how many good deeds he's done because our society is shallow like that.

It most certainly is still the case.

It's only briefly in the first verse where it's implied that it was a gay person Neil is talking about. Despite that fact, that's the only line in the song that people always seem to trash. Once again, just focusing on the mention of a gay person rather than looking at the bigger picture and meaning behind the lyrics as a whole.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

It most certainly is still the case.

It's only briefly in the first verse where it's implied that it was a gay person Neil is talking about. Despite that fact, that's the only line in the song that people always seem to trash. Once again, just focusing on the mention of a gay person rather than looking at the bigger picture and meaning behind the lyrics as a whole.

I am guessing he did this on purpose to prove a point....

I don't particularly like the song but its not really because of the lyrics. I don't care for the music itself.
  • Like 1

Led will be here within the hour to list off all the things he hates about this song.

:popcorn: ....

Sure the lyrics are almost painfully awkward but in 1993 this was not a popular sentiment. Kudos to Neil and the rest of the guys for making the statement.
  • Like 3

I'm surprised to hear that a gay person would feel that way about this song. But as has been said already, the lyrics are much deeper than Neil's perspective on being friends with a gay man. It's partly about that sinking feeling you get when you hear about the passing of someone you cared about but haven't been in contact with for some time but also about the over popularity of entertainers vs. the under popularity of society's true heroes. Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 2

The opening line is just so cringeworthy that it really paints the rest of the song in a negative light. The chorus is fantastic but the heavy-handed nature of the lyrics pushes this song to the very bottom of my song ranking on Counterparts (or a least one above Speed of Love)

Incidentally. this song came up in discussion with Geddy on both the Speakeasy special on PBS and Rock Icons on VH1, leading me to believe there may be a pretty good chance it appears on the R40 setlist. I personally do like the song, for it's overall theme and for the music, but it isn't one of my favorites on Counterparts. I'd much rather see Cut to the Chase, Leave that Thing Alone or Double Agent. But that's just my opinion...

Incidentally. this song came up in discussion with Geddy on both the Speakeasy special on PBS and Rock Icons on VH1, leading me to believe there may be a pretty good chance it appears on the R40 setlist. I personally do like the song, for it's overall theme and for the music, but it isn't one of my favorites on Counterparts. I'd much rather see Cut to the Chase, Leave that Thing Alone or Double Agent. But that's just my opinion...

Did anybody ever get video footage of this?

I would prefer Cold Fire if they choose just one. I hope they do that too BTW. One is enough...

One of the relative high points to an otherwise atrocious album. The lyrics aren't nearly as bad as people say. I find that when there is a word or line that people hate, they often condemn the entire song's lyrics. I think in this case it is merely the word "sexuality". 5 syllables is a lot, and people in 1993 were probably made uncomfortable by its use.

Anyway, I like the song, the lyrics, and the sentiment behind the lyrics.

Suck on that, BowlCity!!

• Like 7

One of the relative high points to an otherwise atrocious album. The lyrics aren't nearly as bad as people say. I find that when there is a word or line that people hate, they often condemn the entire song's lyrics. I think in this case it is merely the word "sexuality". 5 syllables is a lot, and people in 1993 were probably made uncomfortable by its use.

Suck on that, BowlCity!!

Damn I thought BowlCity was serious. :Puttingawaymypopcorn:... Thanks BC :moon:
  • Like 1

As a straight man who was finally making friends with people who happen to be gay aboot the time the song came out, I found it spoke to my experience. I was having my mind opened and enjoying being around gay people. Only a few years before they were two demential cartoon characters of my more closed minded high school years. The instrumental tones aside Rush has always been aboot the music and deeper lyrics. Unlike the Hair Metal bands of the day, "yeah baby do me baby" repeat sixty times.

OMG - the most cringeworthy lyrics this band have ever offered!

As a gay man, upon first listen I was floored by the twee and try-hard of these lyrics.

Good song with good intent, but the intro lines are sooooo bad. How that ever got past the editing room....
  • Like 1

Suck on that, BowlCity!!

The song and sentiment are quite good...just the lyrical execution is abysmal. Classic Peart.