New Muse song - Psycho, new album Drones coming out in June

Don't think I've ever heard a single note of this band.

Overrated, but enjoyable.

Pretty soulless prog pop, but lots of great songs!

You hit the nail on the head right here... This band is a constant struggle for me -- finding out just how much I actually like/dislike them...

Holy shit! I just stumbled on the same post!!! NAILED!!!!!

• Like 2

Just gave a listen to "Still of the Night", I get the part you guys are talking about (it's the prechorus of both songs it looks like) and hear it but...

The riffs are totally different. Rhythm, note count, the notes themselves (and I have a poor musical ear so the fact that I can notice this difference says something), and overall feel.

Don't think I've ever heard a single note of this band.

Overrated, but enjoyable.

Pretty soulless prog pop, but lots of great songs!

I see...

I think if I want prog pop, I can stick to Supertramp. ;)

Muse are good...but they are treated like Gods in the UK, although oddly enough a lot of the more honest critics rightly give them mixed reviews.

Critics suck.

Muse is awesome.

Odd I never found this thread before. I'm a huge Muse fan and I got sooooooo psyched for Drones when it was announced, then stayed that way all the way till I got it a few days before its release thanks to my awesome local record store. I love this new record, and against popular opinion my favorite song seems to be a toss up between Reapers and (wait for it) Revolt (I'm a big Queen fan). This album is amazing though and will probably sit very nicely as my third favorite Muse record if it doesn't start growing on me even more in an attempt to dethrone the immortal Origin Of Symmetry and the pristinely perfect The Resistance.

I am happy! :)

"Defector" (preferably along with the [JFK] intro) is the best song they've put out since "Plug In Baby"... IOW: Defector is their second best song.

Other songs which are great to the point where I can't ignore this band despite them being in bulk lame prog pop are:

Small Print, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, Hysteria, Knights of Cydonia, Bliss, Hyper Music, Citizen Erased, Starlight, Reapers...

• Like 1

"Defector" (preferably along with the [JFK] intro) is the best song they've put out since "Plug In Baby"... IOW: Defector is their second best song.

Other songs which are great to the point where I can't ignore this band despite them being in bulk lame prog pop are:

Small Print, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, Hysteria, Knights of Cydonia, Bliss, Hyper Music, Citizen Erased, Starlight, Reapers...

I think of Muse as a prog pop band with two undeniably great albums: Absolution and Black Holes And Revelations.

I also really liked The 2nd Law, which had an experimental nature that completely took be by surprise.

• Like 1

I love Absolution. I plan on buying this sometime this weekend. I like 'Psycho' and the radio here is already overplaying 'Dead inside'.

Haven't listened to the whole album yet, though reception hasn't been overly kind. I just doubt they'll ever recapture the glory of OoS and Black Holes. Absolution and Resistance are also good for the most part with some absolute trash (Undisclosed Desires)

So I am enjoying it. I don't think it is better than the previous 4 albums (I am not a huge Origin fan to be honest I got into them with Absolution) but it has some great Muse moments/tunes. A solid effort from 3 great musicians.

Looking forward to the tour. That is where this band shines for me.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

I am not really a fan of Psycho, Revolt, and the title track of the new album, but I am definitely really enjoying the album overall. It's less electronic and more rock-oriented than T2L, but it still feels more like The Resistance 2 than a return to their early style. Mercy, Reapers, The Handler, and The Globalist are the highlights, and they are great. I think this is my favorite 2015 album so far. Edited by NaturalHemisphereGarden

I am not really a fan of Psycho, Revolt, and the title track of the new album, but I am definitely really enjoying the album overall. It's less electronic and more rock-oriented than T2L, but it still feels more like The Resistance 2 than a return to their early style. Mercy, Reapers, The Handler, and The Globalist are the highlights, and they are great. I think this is my favorite 2015 album so far.

I like Psycho, great tune. i'm luke warm on revolt.

Reapers and Globalists are my favorites off of drones.

Been giving this album a listen, and I gotta say it's not bad. Reapers and The Handler are some of the best stuff they've written in a very long time.

Need more time to let it sink in, particularly the 10 minute epic The Globalist, but at the moment I can definitely say it's better than The 2nd Law, but need a lot more time before I can say it's as good as Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes, or even Resistance.

My fav muse albums in order (DRONES still might move up, as I am simply adoring it as of lately)

The Resistance

Origin Of Symmetry

DRONES

Absolution/Black Holes & Revelations

The 2nd Law

Showbiz

So much great stuff on the new album. Revolt is actually my second favorite song off of it; it's soooooooo eighties mainstream rock in the best possible way. Reapers tops it for me though. That's one of the greatest guitar solos of the 21st century for absolute sure.